Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I'd like to point out most of the cars in your typical electronics class (IHRA Top/NHRA Super Pro) use quite a few electronics you'd never see outside of that class. Most don't run EFI, it's true, but they run throttle stops, starting line enhancers, delay boxes and the manualized autos use an air or electric shifter that is run either off time from the release of the transbrake or RPM.

Why did an airport rental place have this. Stay tuned for the review in rental car roulette.

Attachments

• 2159AE06-AC10-418F-91C3-AD968C30C011.jpeg
    2159AE06-AC10-418F-91C3-AD968C30C011.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 82
Reactions: Hok
TIL Chrysler makes a 300 SRT with a 6.4L Hemi...... only for Australia. The best we get is the 5.7L.

Don’t see why they won’t make it for us. Car is federalized as is the engine. The old 300 SRT8s have a cult following and the new one would sell gangbusters. Mopar guys would eat it up. And people who just want a fast American sedan with a little more refinement than the Charger. I’d get it if they decided to make the 300 a Pentastar only couch on wheels, but since they already but the 5.7 in it, might as well go all the way.

The funniest thing was that I messaged 3 of my friends at FCA when I found out, and none of them knew they made that thing.

Apparently they're being used as cop cars down there.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...t/news-story/4939a2c6d34152d18370f6a684155726

Maybe CAFE or emissions issues?

Apparently they're being used as cop cars down there.

Yep. I found out via this post

Was convinced the title was wrong, but nope. Also that glorious exhaust note.

Maybe CAFE or emissions issues?

Doubt it. The 6.4 is already emissionized for the US and is already on the market here in both lighter and heavier applications. And FCA already pays out EPA penalties for all their V8s, which don’t seem to faze them as they’re making more money selling them.
The only reason I could think of was them not wanting to cannibalize Charger 392 sales, but I wouldn’t imagine that being a problem. The current 5.7L 300C has a $5000 premium over a 5.7L Charger R/T. Jack that up even higher for the 300 SRT vs Charger 392 and you’re going after a different buyer. Plus even if it does take away sales from the Charger, being the more expensive product probably wouldn’t cause Mike Manley to lose any sleep over it.

I do wish they'd fix the loose front end feeling you get in those cars. I've had nearly new ones at 38,000mi rentals of chargers and challengers. They all feel like there's a worn out ball joint in the front end.

TIL Chrysler makes a 300 SRT with a 6.4L Hemi...... only for Australia. The best we get is the 5.7L.

Don’t see why they won’t make it for us. Car is federalized as is the engine. The old 300 SRT8s have a cult following and the new one would sell gangbusters. Mopar guys would eat it up. And people who just want a fast American sedan with a little more refinement than the Charger. I’d get it if they decided to make the 300 a Pentastar only couch on wheels, but since they already but the 5.7 in it, might as well go all the way.

The funniest thing was that I messaged 3 of my friends at FCA when I found out, and none of them knew they made that thing.

Chrysler sold the 6.4 300C SRT8 in North America from 2012-2015 and then suddenly stopped selling it here for some reason. So you can get a used example, I've seen them for <$25K Canadian.

Chrysler sold the 6.4 300C SRT8 in North America from 2012-2015 and then suddenly stopped selling it here for some reason. So you can get a used example, I've seen them for <$25K Canadian.

Looking at the sales numbers, it appears the reason is "Everyone is buying the Charger, almost nobody is buying the 300."

I assumed it was a sales thing, the 300 commanded a fair premium over the Charger for obvious reasons and I suppose there's a lot of overlap on the go-fast/be-cheap Venn diagram. If the LHD versions currently on sale don't have the bespoke SRT body panels or interior bits, they'd be a lot cheaper to produce and easier to to justify continued production.

Why did an airport rental place have this. Stay tuned for the review in rental car roulette.

Depends on area. I've rented a 3500 Cummins Ram from an airport rental in eastern BC, I assume they keep it on hand for guys doing construction site inspections that need to get to the workfront.

Jeep work day today. In typical EyeMWing project car fashion, "3 hours allotted for task" turned into "all day and didn't even finish".

Tomorrow, I prep the BRZ for the cross country holiday run. Trans oil, diff oil, rear brake pads, engine oil, vaccuum cleaner.

Jeep work day today. In typical EyeMWing project car fashion, "3 hours allotted for task" turned into "all day and didn't even finish".

Reasons why home car repair is discouraging.

Is this commentary on Ford's direction, or have they instituted some pet policy I am not aware of?

Yeah. My 3-year-old would have learned some new words if he'd been out in the garage with me today.

They would have a better time bringing tech talent by allowing 100% remote workers so that no one has to actually go to Detroit.

Oh, I do remember this, I just neglected to retain the information as it really does not matter in my opinion.

They would have a better time bringing tech talent by allowing 100% remote workers so that no one has to actually go to Detroit.

The auto industry is very secretive and does not like having workers outside it's walls. Look at how quickly Chinese companies have copied various vehicle designs, at least cosmetically.