Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I think the most of the online dissing is because of the Puma name. I still think this should be called the EcoSport and the EcoSport should not exist :p

At least they had the decency to change the name slightly with the Kuga so they weren't desecrating a once great name, this should have been the Pooma at least.

I do think it's ugly, I first saw it when Aging Wheels had one and I wasn't a fan then, they have one parked outside the local Ford/Vauxhall dealership and I still think it's gopping. :p

Any time I hear about the Ford Puma, I go full child and think of this.

Stop-Making-Me-Laugh-Youll-Make-Me-Puma-Pants-Meme.png

I think the most of the online dissing is because of the Puma name. I still think this should be called the EcoSport and the EcoSport should not exist :p

Yeah but they've ruined the EcoSport's name so I can see why they wouldn't want to use it again. On the other hand, they already have the Puma trademark, it's unlikely they'll redo a small 2 doors coupé from the Fiesta's platform and finding new names can be a real pain in the ass.
I don't know, I think the name fits the car somewhat fine. At least they've added a couple of "design touches" to pay their honours to the Puma nameplate.

Hm. Passat GT’s are getting “cheap.” What is a Passat GT? Apparently, it was something dreamed up by engineers at VW Chattanooga who have been building the weird red headed step child that is the Passat that nobody else in the world gets except for North America since 2011... Basically it’s a VR6 DSG equipped middle class boring sedan. It kind of looks cool, I’m mostly interested in the drivetrain as that makes it kind of neat to me. I’m seeing them in the $20,000 and lower range with less than 50,000 miles on them.

E6FD758E-EDCF-4189-8242-0FDB1BEDE3D9.jpeg

“But, 93Flareside” you say, “surely you know of the Arteon which has a VR6 option!” Yeah, I do and the US market offers the weenie 2.0L 4 banger which, in a car that size is an insult.

In my opinion this looks WAY better than the new Jetta GLI.

I want to love VW, but I've seen too many problems with them over the years. Between Kiki's New Beetle, my old room mate's Passat, a friend's Rabbit, and countless acquaintances complaining about problems and the expense of fixing them, I just can't do it.

My brother's Mark V GTI he bought new also has some random weirdness and he got rid of it when it was 4 years old.

Oh, it's a regular V6 not a VR6. Not interesting anymore.

Last edited:
Never mind, I misread some articles that kept referring to that engine as a V6. It's interesting if you can find one with a CPO warranty, but the combination of DSG and the usual VW gremlins would scare me away too for a long-term ownership prospect.

I was thankful for my car's North American genes yesterday. +34°C out (according to the car, while driving) and the AC maintained a nice 20°C in the cabin. I think my Skoda would've struggled.

The heat wave we've been having here is unreal for this part of the world.

I was thankful for my car's North American genes yesterday. +34°C out (according to the car, while driving) and the AC maintained a nice 20°C in the cabin. I think my Skoda would've struggled.

The heat wave we've been having here is unreal for this part of the world.

Fuck.... :(

I briefly saw 35 in Germany in 2015, that was while sitting in traffic on the autobahn so the reading could’ve been skewed. That was the year the water pump on the Discovery exploded, I wonder why.

Something you don’t get to see very often in hot weather is the interior temp while sitting. I noticed that 4% of the Tesla’s battery power disappeared on Wednesday when it was hot here and the car was ‘awake’ all day. Cabin overhead protection has kicked in to keep it cool, I’ve now turned that off and the interior hit 54 at one point according to the logs.

If it was a regular thing I would put up a sunshade or leave the overheat protection on but that heatwave has already passed and it’s back to proper British summer - rain. :p

Last edited:
Cabin overhead protection has kicked in to keep it cool, I’ve now turned that off and the interior hit 54 at one point according to the logs.

If it was a regular thing I would put up a sunshade or leave the overheat protection on but that heatwave has already passed and it’s back to proper British summer - rain. :p

Is the protection meant to keep the interior cool designed to protect the display?

Is the protection meant to keep the interior cool designed to protect the display?

I understand that it's intended for people who may leave their kids or pets in there and forget. Seems crazy. It would certainly help to protect the screen and the interior materials from heat damage and would be great in a hot climate but that's not the primary reason for having it. It still wouldn't protect the materials from UV damage in somewhere like California though too.

Having the option of running AC without having to run an engine is very convenient.

I understand that it's intended for people who may leave their kids or pets in there and forget. Seems crazy. It would certainly help to protect the screen and the interior materials from heat damage and would be great in a hot climate but that's not the primary reason for having it. It still wouldn't protect the materials from UV damage in somewhere like California though too.

Having the option of running AC without having to run an engine is very convenient.
I was under the impression all modern auto glass is uv filtered because it's basically free to do

I was under the impression all modern auto glass is uv filtered because it's basically free to do

Good point, I completely forgot about that. In that case there really should be no reason to cool your car interior unless the temp regularly gets crazy, in which case you should have a sunshade or something.