Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Getting a car loan from my credit union for a new or used car at a dealership, pre-Covid:
Walk in without an appointment, walk out 30 minutes later with a cashier's check.

Getting a car loan from my credit union for a used car, private party sale during Covid:
2 weeks so far. Gonna be at least 3. Maybe 4.

Trying to diagnose a problem with Gena's 2010 Nissan Altima. She's complaining of a "pop" from the front suspension. I've only been witness to it once, so I can't quite pinpoint it. I even jacked it up today and gave everything a jostle, no play that I can find.

Something I read said it might be the struts, which is certainly possible with nearly 140k miles (~225k kilometers).

Any ideas?

I would think it could be ball joints or tie-rods, but if you gave things a shake to check, perhaps it is a bushings in the struts?

Ball joints didn't have any play that I could feel, that was my first thought too. Tie rods are pretty solid as well. Perhaps the right thing to do is replace the series as preventive maintenance and inspect things closely while doing so.

Stupid question, exhaust is tight? The Mercury has a bad exhaust bracket because I added one to make sure it doesn’t touch the driveshaft that its a finger width from has broke partially. I thought it was from the rear window hardly in any track to keep it straight. I only heard the noise with the window down. If it’s factory mounts, disregard. what was weird was hearing a friends second gen Neon making an identical noise. Think the sound you hear late at night shitting and the flaps on your bathroom fan flap in the wind. That metallic noise down a pipe.

I only remember my parents having a 2000 Chrysler Grand Voyager van that had a weird noise in the front when you went over small bumps. People said it was related to the struts, but as a kid/early teen, I knew nothing about cars. Hell, I thought El Caminos, broncos and explorers were the shit. :)

I'll be the honest, the noise from the car doesn't bother me too much. It's the noise coming from Gena that has me motivated to fix it. ?

I'll get the SVO out of the garage in the next week, put the Altima up in the air (I wish I had a lift) and jiggle everything.

I'll be the honest, the noise from the car doesn't bother me too much. It's the noise coming from Gena that has me motivated to fix it. ?

I'll get the SVO out of the garage in the next week, put the Altima up in the air (I wish I had a lift) and jiggle everything.

I won’t tell her if you don’t. ;)

I counted probably three brand new Corollas, the brand new model that's just coming into dealerships now, without taillights in the pouring rain.

Clearly it's still too difficult for Toyota to fit automatic headlights on a 2020 car... and too difficult for Toyota buyers to learn how a light switch works. It's almost always a Toyota.

I counted probably three brand new Corollas, the brand new model that's just coming into dealerships now, without taillights in the pouring rain.

Clearly it's still too difficult for Toyota to fit automatic headlights on a 2020 car... and too difficult for Toyota buyers to learn how a light switch works. It's almost always a Toyota.

I'm pretty sure they do have automatic lights, they are just too stupid to use them.

It as been an issue around here with Toyotas for at least 10 or maybe even 15 years.

Combination of DRL and always ON dash lighting means obliviot drivers have no clue they have their lights set to OFF.

I'm pretty sure they do have automatic lights, they are just too stupid to use them.

It as been an issue around here with Toyotas for at least 10 or maybe even 15 years.

Combination of DRL and always ON dash lighting means obliviot drivers have no clue they have their lights set to OFF.

DRL is a new thing in Europe, "new" as in a decade or so, and that's apparently not enough for the average driver to learn. Before the 2010's everyone drove with their normal headlights on and they were usually wired/programmed to come on with the ignition. Then we got EU-wide rules which meant front DRLs only until you turn the actual headlights on, and it's too much to ask of the average driver to learn a new habit.

Automatic lights that come on when it gets dark enough (or with the wipers) are usually a part of some option package one tier or two above poverty spec but it seems most Toyotas lack the feature. Even expensive landcruisers can be seen trundling along in the dark without proper lights on.

Friend of mine got taken for a rather heinous ride by both her boyfriend and a car dealership.

His credit sucks, so he wanted her to help him finance a car.
He would not budget on what he wanted: He wanted a WRX. A manual WRX.

He's never driven stick before. I advised against this. Buy some $1000 shitbox first and learn for a few months. But no. Absolutely unacceptable. He wants what he wants.

So, TLDR, his credit is too bad for them to do it jointly. So, $32000 and an 82 month loan at 8% interest (JESUS FUCKING CHRIST) later, she solely owns a WRX that he will drive. She can't drive it. Like, physically. The seating position doesn't work for her and she can't get full clutch travel.

5 days later, guess what? He's decided he can't drive stick. Trade-in value on the car is now $22k.

Was just wondering where this is at. Part of the reason is that Subaru is low on stock and might have a problem catching up in the near future. Maybe they could sell it outright now to some other douchebag, err, fanboy and not take a huge bath on it.

Was just wondering where this is at. Part of the reason is that Subaru is low on stock and might have a problem catching up in the near future. Maybe they could sell it outright now to some other douchebag, err, fanboy and not take a huge bath on it.
That other douchebag/fanboy, reporting for duty ;)

You know... As soon as my bank can be arsed to close the loan.

Also, taking nominations for vanity plates. Because if I'm going to be a WRX douchebag, may as well go all the way. I wonder if anyone has MD-SUBUWU yet.... I know CA-SUBUWU is taken.

Last edited:

You know... As soon as my bank can be arsed to close the loan.

Also, taking nominations for vanity plates. Because if I'm going to be a WRX douchebag, may as well go all the way. I wonder if anyone has MD-SUBUWU yet.... I know CA-SUBUWU is taken.

Is this a “dear god, I must save this car from a life of being beat to a pulp with no maintence?”

Because that’s how feel about my GTI. I’m in the mindset of, “if I followed the book on maintence, maybe this would be one of the few VW’s that isn’t plagued with a terrible history of always broken.” It’s a theory, after all.

Also, the correct answer is SUBCHAN.

Because that’s how feel about my GTI. I’m in the mindset of, “if I followed the book on maintence, maybe this would be one of the few VW’s that isn’t plagued with a terrible history of always broken.” It’s a theory, after all.

I know of another one of those. Its smug aura mocks me.

Last edited:
Is this a “dear god, I must save this car from a life of being beat to a pulp with no maintence?”

Nah. Most of it is I need something with an actual trunk and an actual back seat for this upcoming chapter of my life. I was looking at the turbo Subarus (WRX and the Legacy XT, specifically) anyway. The BRZ, fun as it is, and as much as I was planning to drive it until it wouldn't go no mo, just is not practical.

As of now, I don't see this as a forever car. I'm thinking this is the last hurrah of the internal combusion daily driver in my life. There is a series of cross-country trips and a lot of changes coming up over the next few years, and I need something that'll do the work, put in the miles, be dependable, be a car like a normal person would drive*, but when I need it, to provide that fizzing sensation.

With luck someone who isn't Apartheid Lex Luthor will be selling electric cars that don't suck in about 3 years, and I'll trade this in. Or maybe I won't need a daily driver per se and can just do something EXCEPTIONALLY stupid.

The lesser part is that helping out friends is good, and I can help.

*These are all well-known characteristics of turbo Subarus, after all.

Current car inventory:
- BRZ (Sale pending)
- Outback (Dad's car)
- Diesel ram (after sitting for literally 1.5 years, whatever the hell was wrong with the power steering/hydroboost system fixed itself and it's fine now. Needs exhaust work.)
- 08 Crown Vic (donation pending)
- Rick Jeep (noises from the fucking 4WD again!?)
- Legacy Wagon (still no engine)
- White '15 Impreza wreck (still theoretically giving the legacy an engine)
- Flatbed trailer