Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

V4 is clearly the superior engine configuration

If V4 is clearly the superior engine configuration, why is it not more widely used?

Better is not always cheaper. The Panigale V4 is impressive as hell, as are the V4 GP bikes. Honda's V4s have been the stuff of legend for decades and it looks like both KTM and Ducati will be bringing more V4s to the consumer market.

I can't make you be right with your inherently unbalanced engines and funky firing orders.

And how many of these configurations made it to market again?

Oh right.. one.

Well I got plenty of pictures of said rider cornering. I'll let said rider choose any appropriate ones to demonstrate whatever he wants.

Oh right.. one.

Using that same "sold more" logic, thumpers are the best!

Damn it, now I'm looking up Royal Enfields.

Argatoga, you're a bastard.

Oh right.. one.
One? I thought it was "none". Did Mondial ever actually produce a street-legal motorcycle?

Using that same "sold more" logic, thumpers are the best!
I'm not talking about numbers sold, I'm talking about models produced at any level - consumer, racing, automotive, motorcycle -- any of them. As far as I know only a single V5 engine has ever entered any level of production. But we can point to decades of V4 production, including contemporary race podiums at the highest level of competition.

One? I thought it was "none". Did Mondial ever actually produce a street-legal motorcycle?
The only one I know of was made by VW, I don't know of any that made it into a bike.

There was also the RC211V race bike if we're counting those.

The only one I know of was made by VW, I don't know of any that made it into a bike.
Oh, sorry. I misread that and thought we were discussing motorcycle engines.

There was also the RC211V race bike if we're counting those.
Yeah, well. Race engines don't count.

Would I want a road version of the RC211V? Absolutely!

What the hell is a Ford Ecosport? Apparently the rental company doesn't like it because it was the only thing they'd let me take 1 way for a couple thousand miles

A lifted Fiesta so you can have a commanding driving position, or something...