Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

You really are a self-loathing American, aren't you?

It's not who builds the NA Passat that makes it a crap car, it's Wolfsburg telling VW NA what product they're gonna get.

I aim to disappoint...

Nonsense, @93Flareside just loves the US like I love Honduras...and loves Germany how I love the US :p

This is leaving aside that rednecks in Tennessee also build this

2020-Nissan-Frontier-1.jpg

Speaking of Nissan, I can't believe no one posted in the automotive news section about the 400Z....

I thought just blurting out I wanted a VW would cure of me trying to finish my current blog, and spare you all from reading a rather bloated, rambling piece. Fuck it, I'll have to get it done and subject you all to the madness inside my brain.

Test drive an arteon to sober you up. I think it’s dumb we don’t get the VR6 engined one and wouldn’t get one with the puny 2.0T.

Test drive an arteon to sober you up. I think it’s dumb we don’t get the VR6 engined one and wouldn’t get one with the puny 2.0T.
I actually did drive one, and that's what made me want it. I drove it and a Stinger on the same day to see if I could cure myself of the Audi want. The Stinger was enjoyable, but like I said above, it did nothing for me. The Arteon, however, despite having a 4 cylinder, and despite having zero sporting pretensions, did for me just what I need right now.... something incredibly beautiful, practical, and freaking comfortable with soft touch everything.

And FYI, there is no VR6 Arteon in any market... and if it did... well then @gaasc would have a valid argument about unreliability. That engine is a POS, and it wouldn't offer any more torque than the current EA888.

What we do miss out on in NA is the Golf R engine, and a DSG gearbox (we get an Aisin 8 speed torque converter), but honestly the gearbox is more of a dick-swinging issue than an actual problem. This is not a car you drive like your hair is on fire and need to hold the gears, so the 8 speed Aisin suits it just fine.

I actually did drive one, and that's what made me want it. I drove it and a Stinger on the same day to see if I could cure myself of the Audi want. The Stinger was enjoyable, but like I said above, it did nothing for me. The Arteon, however, despite having a 4 cylinder, and despite having zero sporting pretensions, did for me just what I need right now.... something incredibly beautiful, practical, and freaking comfortable with soft touch everything.

And FYI, there is no VR6 Arteon in any market... and if it did... well then @gaasc would have a valid argument about unreliability. That engine is a POS, and it wouldn't offer any more torque than the current EA888.

What we do miss out on in NA is the Golf R engine, and a DSG gearbox (we get an Aisin 8 speed torque converter), but honestly the gearbox is more of a dick-swinging issue than an actual problem. This is not a car you drive like your hair is on fire and need to hold the gears, so the 8 speed Aisin suits it just fine.

*shuffles papers*

YEAH WELL.... You're a meanie pants! :p

For some reason I thought early on there was a VR6 option in other markets, I stand corrected.

If what you want is something that is "something incredibly beautiful, practical, and freaking comfortable with soft touch everything" have you considered selling the wife on the idea of another car? Cheap, used, and with ample parts supply and...ahem...timelessly elegant. It will also get along magnificently right next to the existing cars. They're so cheap you don't have to sell any of them.

1996_Jaguar_XJR_X306_Spindrift_White_Charlie_Provis_000.jpg

Last edited:
I hate the NA Passat because it's a bigger Mk6 Jetta that has no redeeming qualities other than a bigger trunk at the time it was out. Now that the Jetta is nearly the size of a full size sedan there's no point. Why offer a Jetta, US Passat, and the Arteon? Get rid of the Passat already, it's so old now...

VW has a habit of making slightly different models for different markets across the globe in weird variants to I guess appeal to the local market? This passat is clearly forgotten about and only updated because they had to. Otherwise you're stuck with what Nissan has been doing for 15 years which I know is being fixed, but come on, it took this long?

Otherwise you're stuck with what Nissan has been doing for 15 years which I know is being fixed, but come on, it took this long?

The difference is, of course, that Nissan's offering has withered in the vine not because of initial quality, but because the market has moved on to new...bigger things and is still a very competent vehicle in its own right. For another example of this that has been more successful, take a look at Toyota/Lexus truck lineup, which have not seen a redesign in close to a decade now and are still pulling very serviceable sales numbers.

The difference is, of course, that Nissan's offering has withered in the vine not because of initial quality, but because the market has moved on to new...bigger things and is still a very competent vehicle in its own right. For another example of this that has been more successful, take a look at Toyota/Lexus truck lineup, which have not seen a redesign in close to a decade now and are still pulling very serviceable sales numbers.

The NA Passat I don't think has many reliability issues, there's still a ton of them on the road around here from the early ones to more recent ones. They don't rust out really bad either it seems which I guess there dipping process for corrosion protection has worked out.

I rented one a few years back that was documented in.... I think the "our own car reviews" thread instead of "rental car roulette" for whatever reason. It's fine car, but certainly nothing special. It's also boaty which reminded me of old man cars.

*shuffles papers*

YEAH WELL.... You're a meanie pants! :p

For some reason I thought early on there was a VR6 option in other markets, I stand corrected.
FWIW, Europe is getting a 310-hp R version (and a wagon) for 2021. Not more cylinders, however, just an uprated 4 cylinder turbo.

Both side of the Atlantic get the new corporate steering wheel, central infotainment (see Mk 8 GTI), a changed digital gauge cluster and some mild styling changes inside and out, as well.

If what you want is something that is "something incredibly beautiful, practical, and freaking comfortable with soft touch everything" have you considered selling the wife on the idea of another car? Cheap, used, and with ample parts supply and...ahem...timelessly elegant

1996_Jaguar_XJR_X306_Spindrift_White_Charlie_Provis_000.jpg
Who are you, @Spectre ?

I'm not trading in a modern vehicle for one that is well past its "best by" date. I'm not knocking the Jaaaaaaag, but I don't have the time to work on it myself to make sure it's tip top. Also, not sure driving a classic like that for six months of rainy winter wouldn't be considered some form of arrestable abuse.

I hate the NA Passat because it's a bigger Mk6 Jetta that has no redeeming qualities other than a bigger trunk at the time it was out.
Yeah, I agree. It’s a full size family sedan for people who hate cars, and want to hate being in them.

Now that the Jetta is nearly the size of a full size sedan there's no point. Why offer a Jetta, US Passat, and the Arteon? Get rid of the Passat already, it's so old now...

VW has a habit of making slightly different models for different markets across the globe in weird variants to I guess appeal to the local market? This passat is clearly forgotten about and only updated because they had to. Otherwise you're stuck with what Nissan has been doing for 15 years which I know is being fixed, but come on, it took this long?
There's a very good reason why they won't get rid of it.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/volkswagen-passat-sales-figures/

Granted, sales have been declining YoY since their peak in 2012 (but the same is true of nearly every 4 door passenger car), except this year where they've already surpassed 2018's total. Even in this down period though, they move enough of these that it's pure profit for them, since they're not wasting much on R&D. That's why they won't kill it off.

Look, I've never been a defender of VW before (and have frequently attacked them due to my own experiences with their Mk.3 and Mk.4 Jetta/Golf variants), but initial quality is actually one of their strong suits. It's what comes later that's problematic. Also, don't forget all the fallout from dieselgate. It cost them billions.... and as a result, they took what was arguably the smart, safe route to getting back to respectability in this market: offer crazy 6 year/100k powertrain warranties, which they've since pulled back to closer to the industry norm of 4 year/60k for 2020-and up model year sales.

Right now my mother has a Mk.6 Jetta that I cannot kill... no matter how I've tried. Sure, it's the classic example of hard Rubbermaid interior plastics, has an engine that is more gutless than Canadian and European foreign policy against China... but having almost no baubles on it means there's really nothing to break. So, as much as I hate to see it on my driveway (it's actually relegated to the street, my wife and I use our vehicles much more often and frankly everyone agrees that no one cares if the Jetta gets keyed)… I have to tip my hat to its "just carry on" attitude.

Also, now being spoiled by 300 and 400 plus hp toys that can get you killed/arrested/impounded before they're even breathing heavy... there is something to be said about taking said 115 hp shitbox and showing it no mechanical sympathy on endlessly winding roads.

EDIT: I just realized I went on a tangent there... that last paragraph above is solely about my mother's Mk.6, and not intended to draw comparison to what I genuinely think is as very nice riding budget A7 in the Arteon.

The NA Passat I don't think has many reliability issues, there's still a ton of them on the road around here from the early ones to more recent ones. They don't rust out really bad either it seems which I guess there dipping process for corrosion protection has worked out.

I rented one a few years back that was documented in.... I think the "our own car reviews" thread instead of "rental car roulette" for whatever reason. It's fine car, but certainly nothing special. It's also boaty which reminded me of old man cars.
https://www.truedelta.com/Volkswagen-Passat/reliability-282

I don't know if I'd go that far re: reliability.

Last edited:
Who are you, @Spectre ?

I'm not trading in a modern vehicle for one that is well past its "best by" date. I'm not knocking the Jaaaaaaag, but I don't have the time to work on it myself to make sure it's tip top. Also, not sure driving a classic like that for six months of rainy winter wouldn't be considered some form of arrestable abuse.

I just would like to point out that I liked jaaaaaaaaags long before Finalgear :p The first time I saw one was actually on a Reader's Digest at the age of five or six, it was just the corner of a shiny black XJS and a shiny happy newlywed couple on it. And from then on I made it my mission to at some point get one. One that gets more traction every time I see someone here buy/sell one.

But no, my idea was that you buy the cheap Jaguar in addition of your modern vehicles ;) . Hence the note of it requiring explicit SO approval. More cars are always the answer, I always say.

@VW: you're absolutely right. they Initially look nice and then they earn those reliability ratings (US-only, conditions vary by market, flamewar about this goes somewhere else). As far as the Aerton is concerned, nice looking and you may be able to negotiate a killer deal with both COVID and their reputation in shreds, but it still looks like one of those situations in which you will feel a gigantic pang of regret the second you realize the day is perfect to take the Challenger out, and it's not there.

Last edited:
I just would like to point out that I liked jaaaaaaaaags long before Finalgear :p The first time I saw one was actually on a Reader's Digest at the age of five or six, it was just the corner of a shiny black XJS and a shiny happy newlywed couple on it. And from then on I made it my mission to at some point get one. One that gets more traction every time I see someone here buy/sell one.

But no, my idea was that you buy the cheap Jaguar in addition of your modern vehicles ;) . Hence the note of it requiring explicit SO approval. More cars are always the answer, I always say.

@VW: you're absolutely right. they Initially look nice and then they earn those reliability ratings (US-only, conditions vary by market, flamewar about this goes somewhere else). As far as the Aerton is concerned, nice looking and you may be able to negotiate a killer deal with both COVID and their reputation in shreds, but it still looks like one of those situations in which you will feel a gigantic pang of regret the second you realize the day is perfect to take the Challenger out, and it's not there.

I wouldn’t call the hemi V-8 with cylinder deactivation is a reliable engine though

I thought the SRT Hemis (6.1/6.4/Hellcat) didn't have the variable displacement stuff?

Huh, so apparently a gasoline car that makes the sound of an idling diesel can be a sign that its accessory belt tensioner is failing.

I wouldn’t call the hemi V-8 with cylinder deactivation is a reliable engine though
Eh, I wouldn’t go that far. I know the 5.7 MDS Hemis have issues, I think we don’t have enough sample size yet on the 6.4.

Oh, and MDS is only equipped to those with an automatic transmission, mine’s a manual.

I was just pulling your leg... never once occurred to me you didn’t like it before Spectre entered the picture ;)

I guarantee you the only thing I’ll get in response to that conversation is a notice for divorce.

I don’t doubt you for a second. Let me make it clear: I haven’t fallen out of love with my SRT.... I just don’t enjoy (foolishly) using it as my non-summer car (winter here isn’t really a thing, parking the car for the one week we get snow isn’t an issue) and I worry about transporting my wonderful little daughter in it in inclement weather. I’m older, I’m tired. I don’t want a pit bull as my travelling companion anymore, I want a St Bernard. Does that even make any sense?

FYI: I am doing my best here not to fall pray to “Fido barks the numbers.” The arteon may be a bad, baaaaad idea, but it approximates what I’m interested in at the moment. I have no interest in traditional sedans like the Accord, Mazda6, Avalon, or whatever else may be in this price/size range that would otherwise get Rick all wet. I did drive an current gen IS300 a few years back, I might have to try it again. I also may need to give another Stinger GT a shakedown.

Audi B9 S5s are another personal favourite (drove it, loved it), but I can’t make the math work for that one (yet), and I honestly don’t know I would choose it over the arteon even if both were the same price. B9 A5 is a no. If I’m gonna Audi, I’m gonna fucking Audi.

Last edited:
It's all good dude. The :p smiley is the one I put when I'm playing along.

I can see your concerns with all of that. And divorces are expensive...with that in mind, perhaps give the Lexus GS-F a go. Another giant comfy thing to consider is the Genesis G80. The stinger was a bit of a bust, but perhaps a more premium experience will help that, not to mention the 420HP.

EDIT: There's also the Q70L 5.6 if you haven't taken a look at it in a while.

Watching Marek Drives' take on the new Kia Sorento, the hybrid version with a 1.6 liter turbo and AWD. Apparently it returned 10 liters per 100km on a motorway run. I would expect the equivalent diesel to return 6.5-7 or so depending on your driving style. Let's make it 7.

With current Finnish fuel prices this means 14€/100km for the hybrid and 8,26€/100km for the diesel. Tell me again how diesel is going out of style? :ROFLMAO: