Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

WHOA WHOA WHOA
I am an American living in Europe, and therefore my opinion is the correct one.

That is just your opinion. :tease:

I've trailered things like a Golf, a Neon and an Audi behind the XC70, and while it did feel like "wow, this is a lot of load to have behind a car", I wouldn't say it struggled. You just have to keep your wits about you.

I've trailered things like a Golf, a Neon and an Audi behind the XC70, and while it did feel like "wow, this is a lot of load to have behind a car", I wouldn't say it struggled. You just have to keep your wits about you.

I think that’s the big difference from what I hear. As long as you can feel you’re towing something, to an American that feels like the car is struggling...

I’ve driven fully loaded cars vs empty ones when moving house and of course you’ll notice under braking and acceleration and cornering. But you just adapt your driving style and you’re good to go. But American drivers can’t/won’t do that because... reasons?

@NooDle - When dad taught me to tow, that's the first thing he mentioned. Allow more space, it's going to take longer to do everything, especially braking. If course this may stem from the fact he was a truck driver for about 15 years, but I don't think he's alone in his knowledge of towing/driving a loaded vehicle.

Fair enough. Why do americans need 500 hp monster trucks to do the same sort of towing we do with a 200 hp diesel estate here?

I know, laws and stuff, but there must be more to it than that?

Penis.

I've towed with a varied amount of trucks and unless you are towing a 40 foot enclosed trailer with two race cars, you don't need that Mega Ram Cummins. A decent half ton truck will do.
Also, just availability? I'm sure more people would use bigger vehicles/engines for towing over here as well, if they were more readily available. But since it's rather costly in many ways it isn't seen as a necessity.

Also, just availability? I'm sure more people would use bigger vehicles/engines for towing over here as well, if they were more readily available. But since it's rather costly in many ways it isn't seen as a necessity.

Sure. Plus easy financing. Americans seem to really embrace the motto, "Overkill is underrated."

Craig nailed it. Why tow with an anemic sedan when you can have a truck with lots of headroom on towing capacity? How else are you gonna haul a skid steer or a 5th wheel camper at 85 mph for hours on end without breaking a sweat? ?

There's definitely plenty of Americans who use nowhere near the capabilities of their tow rigs though. Hence the popularity of bro dozers with 6 inch lifts and two foot drops for the hitch so they can tow their 20' ski boat three times a year.

Yup, it's not that you can't tow with a smaller vehicle, if you can get the bigger vehicle, why the fuck not? Also, shiny new toy, pretty, must show off to people.

Technically road rules say 55-65mph is the limit when you're towing, do people follow that? No, and do they get caught? Not enough to get them to learn to take care of their loads. giggity

Also, good luck fitting a huge truck in the narrow streets of the older towns in Europe.

Yup, it's not that you can't tow with a smaller vehicle, if you can get the bigger vehicle, why the fuck not? Also, shiny new toy, pretty, must show off to people.

Technically road rules say 55-65mph is the limit when you're towing, do people follow that? No, and do they get caught? Not enough to get them to learn to take care of their loads. giggity
This depends on the state, in my state you can tow at 80 mph - and people do, while climbing over the Rocky Mountains.

This depends on the state, in my state you can tow at 80 mph - and people do, while climbing over the Rocky Mountains.

Yup. When I hauled my Jeep to Moab in 2019, the F150 pulled it up grades at 75mph. Sure, I got 8mpg but that was the only issue.

There's definitely plenty of Americans who use nowhere near the capabilities of their tow rigs though. Hence the popularity of bro dozers with 6 inch lifts and two foot drops for the hitch so they can tow their 20' ski boat three times a year.

That's equivalent to the "I must have a towbar because once I year I may need to carry my bicycle somewhere" that I see here. Almost everyone has one, nearly nobody uses them.
I just hate looking at towbars of other cars, it annoys me. Also because most people use them as bump stops when parking....

I would get one of those foldaway ones that you can't see unless they're being used....

That's equivalent to the "I must have a towbar because once I year I may need to carry my bicycle somewhere" that I see here. Almost everyone has one, nearly nobody uses them.
I just hate looking at towbars of other cars, it annoys me. Also because most people use them as bump stops when parking....

I would get one of those foldaway ones that you can't see unless they're being used....
Ah, the Dick Hitch is loved by many!

Frustrating for me is, my Mercury from the factory had a 5,000 lbs tow limit, but since the panther platform got crumple zones on the rear of the frame, all Crown Vics and of course my wagon being on the same platform means that if I want to buy a hitch receiver, I must get the lower rated one, even though it's not applicable to me. I have a NOS trailer harness that even has brake control in it...

Heh, I thought about that when I was ordering the Tesla, but I don't ride my bike enough and also think that they're ugly. Fold away ones are great but are just another thing to break.

There's no such thing as too much power anyway, I say that as someone who owns an early SUV that had enough power in its 2.5 litre rattly diesel to tow at one point but 30 years, big tyres and a load of scaffolding somewhat blunt that power now. Leans a bit too.