Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

The Peugeot 508 is a gorgeous car, but that sadly comes at the price of cramped rear seat space, especially headroom.

And it's too low.

I guess they figured people that want practicality would buy a 3008 or 5008 anyway, so they designed a good looking sporty sedan for those that don't. I certainly couldn't ever buy a 508 because getting back out from behind the drivers seat requires a crane.

Hey, VW dealer in Brookfield, Wisconsin, you're a fucking asshole for selling TDI 2015 VW golf wagons for $25,000+.

Seems like an error
Nah, I’ve been searching off and on for a manual Sportwagen/alltrack for a year. The diesel ones for some reason are ridiculously priced from that dealer only

And again our opinion diverges. The Jeep Commander failed and the new Wagoneer will fail. To try to turn it into an Imperial is another dead end.
Depends on what you mean by "fail". The Commander failed because it was produced at the peak DaimlerChrysler malaise era. It definitely failed. The Wagoneer makes no assumptions of being a volume seller, so if the expectations at headquarters are suitably corrected, I believe it can be worth the investment on it. Especially with the segment at a very weird point with the new GM trucks and an unclear plan for the Navigator with the changes in management at Ford.

There is room for Chrysler to move upmarket, but they would need to heavily refresh the LD platform and used the cut-down LA to make a credible competitor on the compact luxury sedan/crossover market, the latter being where the bulk of your market is. Using it only for the Challenger is very constraining. At least Hybrid if not full electrification should be available on every offering. And then you have to funnel quite a bit of money on marketing. The public perception of Chrysler as rental fodder will not change in a day, or a year, or five, but it can be done.

It requires a firm commitment though...and that is the chief reason why I think it's very likely for them to just keep it moribund. After all, it's the same plan they needed to do with Lancia.

@93Flareside , correct me if I am wrong, but aren't those illegal as fuck to sell and should be crushed by now?

Last edited:
@93Flareside , correct me if I am wrong, but aren't those illegal as fuck to sell and should be crushed by now?
There was a supposed emissions fix that made the cars fall within regulations, but the fuel consumption went up by a little. Whether that's going to counteract the emissions regulations... Probably not.

There was a supposed emissions fix that made the cars fall within regulations, but the fuel consumption went up by a little. Whether that's going to counteract the emissions regulations... Probably not.

I see. it still seems like a very dumb idea to buy one...perhaps consider a more luxurious experience on the same platform and with gasoline power...like the A3.

Maybe it’s ‘exclusive’ and rare to find one of the dieselgate cars? Even in diesel loving Euroland, we don’t buy them anymore so it’ll be hard sell in the US of A

I see. it still seems like a very dumb idea to buy one...perhaps consider a more luxurious experience on the same platform and with gasoline power...like the A3.

An A3, sportback or not, doesn't offer anywhere near the same interior space as a Golf estate.

I find this interesting. Six vehicles on the list are trucks, and Ford didn't make the list?

Ford Ranger

Sorry, I meant the F150 in particular. You know it is the most popular selling vehicle in the world.

I also find this interesting.

You know it is the most popular selling vehicle in the world.
Which if I'm not mistaken is only sold in North America?

Sorry, I meant the F150 in particular. You know it is the most popular selling vehicle in the world.
It is surprising. Granted, it's so popular because they are so often "work trucks"...but then so are a lot of Silverados and Rams...huh...

Which is weird, years ago you didn't want a minivan to look like a Soccer Mom, now I guess you don't buy an F-150 because everyone buys one and it's about as exciting as a Toyota Camry? I'm confused.

I'm going to honest I always wanted a van. In appreciation that I would look like a child molester I haven't. I don't know why anyone would buy a truck who didn't own a farm. Owning a truck says to the world "people tolerate me because I help them move".

Sedans forever!

...I should buy a Sienna...