Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Last edited:
Because none of the Saturn 2.5 door coupes remain.

Oh come on now, I’m not Rick..
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think a Mini might be worse than a Saturn as far as the ownership experience goes at this point. The Mini will be 3x more expensive to fix and break at least as much.

On top of that, the Mini will be 3x more expensive to buy than a Saturn. But 0 times 3 is 0...

Colour me stupid but how is that 2,5 doors? Thats 2 doors and a weird impractical one sided boot, no?

eh… are you talking about the actual boot or that weird suicide half-door thing behind the driver (or passenger?) from the first gen clubman? I think that’s the half being referred to, not the current gen regular boring rear doors… but the boot is also pretty horrid I guess, sure :D

If we count those weird doors then Id call it a 3,5 door car (front doors count as proper doors, then you have 2 half rear doors, and the boot only counts as half again since it opens ‘sideways’ instead of upwards. Am I making sense?

If we count those weird doors then Id call it a 3,5 door car (front doors count as proper doors, then you have 2 half rear doors, and the boot only counts as half again since it opens ‘sideways’ instead of upwards. Am I making sense?
You are, culturally the difference comes in the States where only the doors a human enters to sit down are counted. It’s collectively assumed every vehicle has some way to access its rear end storage space so need to be counted.

It’s why a 2 door or 4 door are as they are, 2 door coupè or 4 door sedan.

B80A001E-FA34-4E32-A937-1F931CAEC33B.jpeg

This is the way.

You are, culturally the difference comes in the States where only the doors a human enters to sit down are counted. It’s collectively assumed every vehicle has some way to access its rear end storage space so need to be counted.

It’s why a 2 door or 4 door are as they are, 2 door coupè or 4 door sedan.

Doesn’t it have something to do with the fact that most Euro cars are hatches, so you can reach the car through the back door/boot, which you can’t in a sedan type boot? I often take stuff on the rear seats out through the hatch without needing to open the rear door….

Well have I had fun with the Discovery and steering wheel parts in the last two weeks. Not only do I have steering column in my Discovery that isn't the same as one in a Discovery but I also have the worlds (probably not) first and (probably not) only 9/16 UNF and 14mm combination nut.

I think it's over now though and I will have a shiny upgrade to show you in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
I’ve developed a habit of reading the comments under facebook car adverts. There’s a guy called Matti T that comments under every ad, telling people to avoid EVs because of “all their problems”. Sometimes he points out that CNG or whatever is the future.

He’s been doing it for about a year now and It’s gotten to the point where if he hasn’t commented on a particular ad yet, someone else drops a comment asking what’s taking Matti so long.

Guy’s a living legend.

I guess it's nice to have a hobby.

I promise that despite the similar name, it isn't me.