Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Yeah, please go well prepared into that first trip regarding charging… better safe than sorry, especially after some of the Ford pass stories I read on Reddit :|

anyway, welcome to the dark green side :D

I hope it all goes well, are they going to have it fully charged for you when you get there? Do you have a plan for charging on the way back? The new superfast Ecotricity chargers at Rugby services are supposed to be good but the last experience I had with a 'normal' Ecotricity charger was crap.

I hope it works out well for you, the fact that you can charge at home already makes it more convenient than a petrol car.
Yeah it'll be at 100% when I collect. Expecting about 200 miles from it at motorway speed in this warm weather.

Going to splash and dash at Rugby then a proper top up at the MFG on the M6. The ecotricity at Sandbach has also just been replaced by a Gridserve so I've got a few good options if I need to change plans.

Don't actually have a home charger yet (supposedly within a month) so I'll be at the local Instavolt a bit I think!

Don't actually have a home charger yet (supposedly within a month) so I'll be at the local Instavolt a bit I think!
Does it not come with a 240V mains charger? 2kW (or even less) trickle is enough if you can leave it overnight. It's better than nothing, at least!

Does it not come with a 240V mains charger? 2kW (or even less) trickle is enough if you can leave it overnight. It's better than nothing, at least!
Yeah there's a mains charger thankfully! It'll add a little bit overnight, but suspect these first few days I'll be driving it more than it can keep up with :D

The sod has an 88kwh useable battery so it's a thirsty one to fill on trickle...

I went back to see what the Charger I had bid on finally went for, out of boredom and curiosity, and boy was I surprised...

View attachment 3561564

That's over 4 times what I was willing to pay for a worn out police car with a bad engine.
I say this for every crown Victoria that’s sold….

No charging issues, all plug and play. Got home barely any later than I would in a diesel car. Puts my mind at ease regarding EV trips.

Car is excellent. Will do a thread after I've slept. ?

IMG_20210624_141137.jpg

No charging issues, all plug and play.

This is how it should be. I’ve never had a fast
Charger fail on me. All the reports of stranded people are either fake news or people actively looking for trouble (as in : let’s see how far I can drive with 0% battery - oh shit the car died)

giphy.gif

One of my friends has a 2003 V6 S-type and got a crack in the windscreen, the insurance sent out a local company which brought the 'wrong' windscreen (heated vs non-heated). He then returned with another windscreen, which was also wrong. Apparently the mirror mount is integral and can't be changed (maybe that just means glued on) but didn't match. According to his company computer the 'correct' part doesn't exist.

Stinks of GDPO getting a windscreen from the scrappers and it being slightly different, maybe from a different year and with a mirror included. I'll check with him and see if it's resolved yet.

Last edited:
Well at least let me take delivery of the damn thing first!

Not how it works here, insurance needs to be sorted, plates need to be gotten, in about a week I can drive it home.

Not how it works here, insurance needs to be sorted, plates need to be gotten, in about a week I can drive it home.

Well sure. Though dealers here will have a drawer full of plates at the ready, you can call your insurance and get coverage the day of and of course for a fee, have the dealer register your car and have the plates and registration all done.

On another note with dealers, cars, buying same day. I'm kind of happy to not see car dealer lots full of cars like the usual thing is. I hope it's less as time goes on because I think it's a bit still to have 50-100 new cars just laying out there degrading until someone buys it. Because people can't wait? or people can't wait because you created the situation, Mr. Car Dealer?

Belgium is weird with plates since plates follow the driver, not the car. So, no, there’s no quick fix to getting a car on the road without some bureaucracy and waiting involved….

Belgium is weird with plates since plates follow the driver, not the car. So, no, there’s no quick fix to getting a car on the road without some bureaucracy and waiting involved….
Plates follow the driver/owner in the US as well