Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I only need cruise control, not lane keeping.

Make that active cruise control. It pisses me off a lot less when I don’t have to actively deal with being stuck behind the horsebox and combine harvester that’s being held up by the inevitable Nissan.

Please don't subject people to more bonging Kias. There's only one nearby but I keep hearing it and it's annoying. Why does it need to whoosh and bong?

I like my EVs silent, “like a silent fart on a crowded bus”.

Last edited:
If it's literally just a commute vehicle, then an EV version of a ICE/hybrid platform is likely fine.

The main compromise is that they generally aren't optimized (packaging-wise). Part of the trunk is usually taken up by the battery, and then you likely also don't get a "frunk", so it's either the worst utility of all 3 versions, or at least tied for worst with the hybrid. So for a primary vehicle, you may miss some of that utility.

This is the Massachusetts idea of a randomly generated license plate.

1630606789847.png

Then again I shouldn't be surprised, given they were giving out plates starting with "1EVO" a few years back.

Please don't subject people to more bonging Kias. There's only one nearby but I keep hearing it and it's annoying. Why does it need to whoosh and bong?

I like my EVs silent, “like a silent fart on a crowded bus”.

On the older models at least you can switch the VESS off. Newer ones have it on all the time IIRC.

If it's literally just a commute vehicle, then an EV version of a ICE/hybrid platform is likely fine.

The main compromise is that they generally aren't optimized (packaging-wise). Part of the trunk is usually taken up by the battery, and then you likely also don't get a "frunk", so it's either the worst utility of all 3 versions, or at least tied for worst with the hybrid. So for a primary vehicle, you may miss some of that utility.

Yeah, I don't really need the utility of the frunk when driving to work. It's just me and my laptop bag and random crap.

if ONLY you had a Saabaru .......
It's a sign.

Well, it's a plate but that's still metal with letters painted on so close enough. ?

Michigan looks like this!

if ONLY you had a Saabaru .......
Listen, if anybody around here is going to get a Saabaru it's m.... Oh god I just realized a Saabaru is essentially a perfect fit for my current needs (aside from actually not being perfect and I'd have to keep the WRX for reliability's sake which means this is a terrible idea and therefore the sort of thing I might actually do)

I disagree with All Speed is Unsafe, but this guy has points. You make the roads easy to drive with little obstructions and drivers go "why the fuck should I drive this slow?" and continue doing the speed they want. Putting traffic calming devices in instead of obnoxious flashing signs will encourage slower driving. I feel though this was a video created by someone who hates driving to some extent and has a bit of a hardon for Holland.

I feel though this was a video created by someone who hates driving to some extent and has a bit of a hardon for Holland.

Ya think?

Seems to hate cars, and driving, and US infrastructure, and any mode of transport that's not human powered or isn't on tracks :p

Ya think?

Seems to hate cars, and driving, and US infrastructure, and any mode of transport that's not human powered or isn't on tracks :p

I will agree to a point, like I noted above. Make the road straight, wide, with little obstruction or reason to slow down coupled with zero enforcement unless it's end of month or a holiday (quotas that don't exist as you know), and this is the result we'll have in the US and Canada forever. Until shit changes which I doubt will any time soon, we're stuck with this.

Listen, if anybody around here is going to get a Saabaru it's m.... Oh god I just realized a Saabaru is essentially a perfect fit for my current needs (aside from actually not being perfect and I'd have to keep the WRX for reliability's sake which means this is a terrible idea and therefore the sort of thing I might actually do)
All you, man; I test-drove a Saabaru and hated it. I'll stick with "real" Saabs from now on, unless I follow through with my threats to get a Trollblazer.

Current concerns about the EV lease:

1) Whether the road noise will be significantly worse than in the Volvo
2) Whether the seats will be significantly worse than in the Volvo
3) Whether the vehicle will be randomly assigned plates that effectively say COCK (a very valid concern)

3) Whether the vehicle will be randomly assigned plates that effectively say COCK (a very valid concern)

all electric car drivers are so…..

:p

It seems the current batch is either something with C (CNT etc) or KUK or ... KUL? The former means cock in Swedish, "kul" means "fun" BUT it then again sounds cockish in Finnish :D You can never win

It seems the current batch is either something with C (CNT etc) or KUK or ... KUL? The former means cock in Swedish, "kul" means "fun" BUT it then again sounds cockish in Finnish :D You can never win
DEDB8734-2D1D-404A-98C9-17E40FE11B1F.jpeg

Road noise is similar to any other car. Its alltogether a much quieter experience, even on the highway.

Seats - your results may vary. Havent had a problem but my previous car was a Citroen C1, so everything is comfortable compared to that