Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

OK so an MR2 probably isn't going to happen, I really overestimated the amount of storage space on offer and there's no way I could get everything in for Ringmeet let alone a roadtrip. The car I looked at was nice enough but had plenty of rough edges.

When I got in I felt like there wasn't much space, my knees hit the wheel as I got in even with it all the way up and the seat all the way back. It was still much better than in the NB MX-5 they had, I could barely close the door and felt so claustrophobic. It was like the doors in an old Defender, but you can't put your elbow out because the doors are tall.

Might be looking at something else tomorrow, a more modern convertible, at a local dealer.
2015-ford-mustang_100458322_h.jpg

There was an old 5.0 Mustang at the dealship, it looked pretty good.

I passed a similar car in red just after leaving my house, it was a convertible and the roof was down and they had the front windows down but not the tiny rear windows. It annoyed me immensely.

He'll have a shock if/when he moves to Europe. :LOL:

Mustang doesn't fulfil the 'fitting in the garage and feeling nimble on our narrow roads' part, sadly. My brain is aching from reading up on a particular car that I'm not very familiar with.

Out of random curiosity because I'm in a "no pickup truck for anything" phase, I decided to check and see what Ford Econoline vans go for.

in my area within a 300mi radius, you're not seeing a van whether it's 150 (1/2 ton suspension) or more for less than $16,000usd if you want 2006 or newer. Passenger type or commercial.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Seriously, I don't care if a van is a tool to make you money, 10+ years old in a place that has winter and eleventy-billion tons of salt on the roads every season, that is uncalled for. It'll be a rusty mess and anything that needs physical replacement is going to be a giant pain in the ass to replace.... It's just stupid the prices people want. I was expecting 4 digit pricing but saw middle 5 digit pricing. FUCK OFF.

/rant.

Dropping the Passat off at the dealer tomorrow morning to get a new key programmed and the missing one deleted. I asked if I could get a loaner for the day and they said yes. The car is a fresh import from Sweden and hasn't made the dealership a single cent, and I've never been a customer there since I haven't owned a car from any of the brands they carry, so this is very nice of them indeed.

Anyway, I told them anything with wheels and motive power will be more than fine, but that I would't mind an e-Up! or e-Golf or something if they have one in the courtesy car pool. Let's see.

Last edited:
"The Econoline is a better van than that Euro-trash Transit" tax.

I never realized this must be a thing. Mopar and Ford are only offering European vans, albeit with 280-310hp V6 engines instead of the 130-150hp diesel four they were born with. I wonder how many people go with the Chevrolet Express simply because it's the last "proper" van on the market.

Interestingly enough, GM are the only ones still offering a diesel in their full size van. 2.8 liter four-pot.

I tested a car out for size this morning at a local dealer and have now reserved (with refundable deposit) a much higher spec model from a 'car supermarket' style national dealer network. They should be buying the Tesla from me.

It's a pearly white. I never thought I'd buy a white car.

I visited my parents yesterday. All our three cars are now white with black plastic crossover-y bits. White is the new black. Join us!

I like it.

D67C36F5-7246-48BE-AF46-E4D3C734A03F.jpeg

I feel like I would lose a lot of skin if I accidentally rubbed up against either of those paint jobs. The Raptor coating on the bobtail would draw blood with the sharp bits of roller but it's pretty smooth overall. :LOL:

I approve of battlecars anyway, especially if they're cars that would've been junked otherwise.

Oh, and no plastic crossoverness with the white car I should soon own. I'd still like to own a Freelander 1 at some point, ideally in yellow.

If I ever get to the point where I have a second car, I'll paint it in matte black bedliner.

0628jeep.JPG

If I ever get to the point where I have a second car, I'll paint it in matte black bedliner.
I don't blame you for not following along but that's basically what I did to the Disco, I just used a roller to give it a more satin finish. I've even replicated the sharp edges of gravel using bits of foam with a hard coating. :LOL:

I never realized this must be a thing. Mopar and Ford are only offering European vans, albeit with 280-310hp V6 engines instead of the 130-150hp diesel four they were born with. I wonder how many people go with the Chevrolet Express simply because it's the last "proper" van on the market.

Interestingly enough, GM are the only ones still offering a diesel in their full size van. 2.8 liter four-pot.

Well, a proper van has a full frame! /s

Are they not offering the 3.2 Powerstroke in the Transit anymore?

Don't forget, we also get a Nissan full size van. It's more American looking than the Transit/Promaster/Sprinter. I mean, it's sort of ugly, in the way it looks like a van trying to push a truck out the front.

USC80NIV181C021001.jpg

I refer you to my previous gif :p