Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

What are the current "hot shit" windshield wipers? Any new revolutionary products worth buying online over what's normally available at O'Riley or Auto Zone?

I don't remember exactly when I bought them, but the RainX winter blades I bought have lasted a few years, maybe 4 on my Mom's van. She drives about 9,000 miles a year.

I also bought them for my truck, but I sold that over a year ago.

I have decent luck with the Rain-X beam style. But I am a Rain-X evangelist.

Do you know if all Rain-X blades apply a coating to your windshield? I know some do, but their website lacks an easy "compare" tool.

I live in California, and park outside 100% of the time. UV cooks Rain-X so quickly, and makes my windshields WORSE than before the application, so I've shied away from anything Rain-X.

Do you know if all Rain-X blades apply a coating to your windshield? I know some do, but their website lacks an easy "compare" tool.

I live in California, and park outside 100% of the time. UV cooks Rain-X so quickly, and makes my windshields WORSE than before the application, so I've shied away from anything Rain-X.

These are the ones I use. - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016NA9WN6

I also use their windshield wash (bug in the summer, de-icer in the winter).

My dad loathes Rain-X, seemingly the same reason you don't use it. I have good luck with it, rain beads up on the windshield and runs off, it's doesn't splat and make it difficult to see.

My parents LOVE it...I remember the first time we used it, my mom almost drove off the road, so distracted by the water just running UP the windshield. They park inside, though. For me, it's streak city in about a month, and have to scrub the windshield down with vinegar or rubbing alcohol, and elbow grease. I used their washer fluid in my car once (left behind very little, but some, residue), and was JUST about to add it to my girlfriend's car, until... https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/beware-rain-x-washer-fluid.7157510/

The only time I ever had a problem with RainX was when I used a bottle that was about 4 years out of the best used by date. I gambled, and it was streaky after a few hot days, and was awful to remove.

As a bonus, I knew a guy that was always begging for stuff. I don't know if he ever bought a can of WD-40 while I knew him. He noticed it in a milk crate in my truck and asked if he could use it, I said he could have it. He never asked me for anything again. That was probably the last year I seen him too.

My last use with the rain-x stuff it made using the wipers impossible. The wipers would skip across the window… are you not supposed to use it on the front windshield?

My last use with the rain-x stuff it made using the wipers impossible. The wipers would skip across the window… are you not supposed to use it on the front windshield?

Yes, it is for all the windows. Did you wax the vehicle in a car wash?

Some brands work well on some cars. Other brands are shit. It's all a game of roulette.

I just put new Bosch blades on the Alltrack and they're awesome. This is weird considering it's the first car I've owned where Bosch actually works. I've ended up trying various Bosch types on everything I've owned over the last decade and a half and they've always been utter crap.

I've never had a problem with it, and I live in one of the hottest and sunniest parts of the US.

I've never had a problem with it, and I live in one of the hottest and sunniest parts of the US.
I'll admit, the only product I've used myself since the late 90s was the RainX Bug Remover windshield washer fluid. Perhaps their formula's been revised since *checks his watch* nearly 25 years ago.

I love getting a new car but I don't like the associated paperwork, talking to insurance, etc. stress all that much. Coupled with the crossover with the bobtail MOT issue and of course work means I'm a little tense today.

Reveal time imminent!
Should be delivered Thursday, may get photos then or at the weekend assuming everything goes well. If it does, I've managed to sell the Tesla, the wheels, pay off the finance, get cheaper insurance and basically walk away with a free car worth £11k. Then I can begin saving for a house with a driveway...

The work I did on the bobtail last night was good enough to get a pass on the MOT retest, so I can change the bearing in my own time. It actually sounds fine, I was half expecting the bearing to eat itself before I got to the end of the road.

Any car with a ‘vegan’ leather option makes me giggle for all the wrong reasons. Makes me want to call up the dealership and ask if it was made from actual vegans, otherwise I won’t even consider it.

Srsly though, whats wrong with calling it plastic, which is what it is?

I know I know, real leather hurts the planet and all, and also boo/moo won’t someone think of the cows. I get it. Just don’t call it “man made” leather or some crap. “Sensatec” or “Artico” means nothing to most people

Any car with a ‘vegan’ leather option makes me giggle for all the wrong reasons. Makes me want to call up the dealership and ask if it was made from actual vegans, otherwise I won’t even consider it.

Srsly though, whats wrong with calling it plastic, which is what it is?

I know I know, real leather hurts the planet and all, and also boo/moo won’t someone think of the cows. I get it. Just don’t call it “man made” leather or some crap. “Sensatec” or “Artico” means nothing to most people

I don't get it, when was the last time a car had actual leather in it?

The vegan leather terminology attracts people who, shall I say, are very passionate about the environment and how their peers perceive that passion. "Plastic", for everyone not a Vulcan, creates connotations of fisher price and white slimline telephones.

@93Flareside, I do hope you're joking :p

The vegan leather terminology attracts people who, shall I say, are very passionate about the environment and how their peers perceive that passion. "Plastic", for everyone not a Vulcan, creates connotations of fisher price and white slimline telephones.

@93Flareside, I do hope you're joking :p

I mean cars for the commoners. Not to your level of class, mind you.

2021_toyota_camry_sedan_xle_fq_oem_1_1600.jpg

Standard equipment on the upper trim levels is: "Leather-trimmed seats with seatback pockets; 8-way power-adjustable driver's seat with power lumbar support; 8-way power-adjustable front passenger seat". You can actually get Cloth and Softex on lower trims.