Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Facts.

photo_2021-11-28_15-16-26.jpg

I have been looking for one of these Ford Fairmont coupes for a number of years. Mostly they come up far from home, but this one is very local and a friend has it. There is a problem though.

photo_2021-11-28_15-16-51.jpg

Passenger side frame rail is toast.

Usually I would just tell myself to move on, but I am having trouble doing that with this one. Frame rail kits are available. It's a simple cut out and weld in proposition. There is some other minor rust in the car, but nothing as bad as the above.

Am I crazy? Should I run far away?

I wouldn't start working on it immediately, just put it to the side and start gathering parts for the rebuild.

Why?

I understand wanting it. I do not understand making parts for it.

Since the Fairmont and Mustang share frame rails, they are an off the shelf item. It's a common rot point for all of them. My last Fairmont suffered from the same problem (but at that point the parts weren't available).

Since the Fairmont and Mustang share frame rails, they are an off the shelf item. It's a common rot point for all of them. My last Fairmont suffered from the same problem (but at that point the parts weren't available).
Ahhh I'd forgotten the Mustang connection.

View attachment 3563201

I have been looking for one of these Ford Fairmont coupes for a number of years. Mostly they come up far from home, but this one is very local and a friend has it. There is a problem though.

View attachment 3563202

Passenger side frame rail is toast.

Usually I would just tell myself to move on, but I am having trouble doing that with this one. Frame rail kits are available. It's a simple cut out and weld in proposition. There is some other minor rust in the car, but nothing as bad as the above.

I wouldn't start working on it immediately, just put it to the side and start gathering parts for the rebuild.

Do it(at your own peril, you assume all responsibilities)! lol

You want to move North at some point, yes? More projects won't help that.