Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

My dad moved to the town I’d say I mostly grew up in. Moved there in 1996, and since then, dad drives 15 minutes to the train station, takes the first one out at 4:50 in the morning, rides for an hour and then walks across the street to his work. Once in a while he has had delays from people ending their life or weather. But otherwise when I’ve asked him, he will never go back to driving that far for work. 45mi in traffic isn’t fun. Plus, he gets to nap and we’ve had to pick him a few miles over at the next town because he slept through his stop. All good :)

Yes, Michigan names it's plow trucks.

So does Minnesota, Vermont, and Scotland.

My dad moved to the town I’d say I mostly grew up in. Moved there in 1996, and since then, dad drives 15 minutes to the train station, takes the first one out at 4:50 in the morning, rides for an hour and then walks across the street to his work. Once in a while he has had delays from people ending their life or weather. But otherwise when I’ve asked him, he will never go back to driving that far for work. 45mi in traffic isn’t fun. Plus, he gets to nap and we’ve had to pick him a few miles over at the next town because he slept through his stop. All good :)

Heh. I actually looked into commuting by train a while ago (before covid and WFH was ‘normal’). Aside from the actual cost (which was astronomical), the timing just doesn’t make sense in .be. Unless you live in one of the very few large cities, there is no direct train route. So that means switching trains (another opportunity for the railway service to fuck you over if a train is late) has to be done. It would have taken me 2,5 hrs to cover 35 kms. That also does not include the 3 km bike ride from home to the train station and the 2 km walk from the train station home.

Even in dysmal weather, commuting by car would never take me more than an hour. I’ve no issue with taking the train (I’d welcome a snooze while moving) but it just doesn’t work for me at all…

Yeah, the worst thing is when you have to start syncing two different systems, like a bus and a train. To make sure you catch the right train, you have to get the earlier bus, in case the "right" bus is running late...and in case that earlier bus is early, you have to get there extra early.

Here, trains are for cross-country transport. It’s not something you can use for regional transport unless you’re incredibly lucky and actully have train service where you need to go. In 99.99999% of cases you don’t.

Just before the pandemic I actually took an train to the next town 100km over, because there was a beer festival and the venue was within walking distance of the station. If the reason for the trip hadn’t involved alcohol I would just have taken the car. 🤷‍♂️ I paid an extra euro for business which meant I had free bottled water and a carriage entirely to myself.:LOL:

Fun first day in VW EV van:

Note: driver owns an EV and also installs charge points.

I watch Big Clive's videos and that channel was recommended at one point, I watched it for a while but got tired of his whining.

Do newer Mercs have some driving aids that flash the brake lights for no reason or was it just some fool that thought it was a good idea to tap the brakes every ten seconds or so while maintaining a steady 80km/h?

It’s probably people driving like idiots. I see a bunch of them usually doing the speedlimit on the highway and every other 10 or so seconds dabbing the brakes for no real reason

Do newer Mercs have some driving aids that flash the brake lights for no reason or was it just some fool that thought it was a good idea to tap the brakes every ten seconds or so while maintaining a steady 80km/h?

No, that's just a moron.

I got a phone call last night...

"Hi Tony. Erm, the Galaxie has broken down at the side of the motorway, it turns over but won't start. If I pour fuel in the carb it'll fire, there looks to be fuel in the filter and I put £65 worth in it earlier".

271945930_10159607282076745_457007596427989311_n.jpg

Turns out there was just a bit of fuel in the bottom of the filter but no more getting pumped up, the tank was empty. Current calculation suggests it is getting a giddy 7mpg. Methinks it isn't really running too well.

He should be thankful that the motorway still has a hard shoulder!

I fancy a Double Decker now. Well, I fancy a Td4 Freelander but based on that photo I also fancy a Double Decker.

It’s probably people driving like idiots. I see a bunch of them usually doing the speedlimit on the highway and every other 10 or so seconds dabbing the brakes for no real reason

...and then complain when their brakes only last 10k miles.

Imagining a little man sitting next to the engine with a bucket and a sauna ladle, throwing fuel on the engine. I guess some of it will catch fire, eventually.

The simplistic explanation of how a carb works.

Adapted for Finnish education.

TFW you see a Youtuber say "I might have to scrap it" about a car that contains parts you want, and before you even breathe, you're looking at the "Sent!" message in gmail.

BadIdeas++

TFW you see a Youtuber say "I might have to scrap it" about a car that contains parts you want, and before you even breathe, you're looking at the "Sent!" message in gmail.

BadIdeas++

Make the best memories?