Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Arguing on the internet, etc.

I saw a "I saw a dog trapped in a hot car!!!" conversation on Facebook and chimed in, saying that PHEVs and EVs are able to run the A/C when parked. I mean, if I had an EV and a dog I wouldn't want someone to put a brick through my side window to save my dog from enjoying air conditioned comfort.

So, I got facebooksplained to by a handful of people saying that their non-hybrid/ev car is able to run the A/C when parked.

Has anyone ever seen a conventional car with an A/C compressor that isn't driven from the crank by a belt? I haven't ever.

I’m always worried about this. Hank loves car rides and being with me. So even if I go just to the store for groceries, he beats me to the door and will walk to the car if I open the door. So he comes with and will chill in the car with the automatic air con holding a wonderful 22-24°C while he holds down the fort. I guess the only redeeming factor is the noisy 5 cylinder worbling away.

According to the EPA, there's approximately 115,000 publically-avialible chargers in the US. In comparison, there are 44,000 RedBox DVD rental kiosks in the US. I don't really know if there's any connections or valid comparisons to be made here, but thought it was amusing.

Last edited:
According to the EPA, there's approximately 115,000 publically-avialible chargers in the US. In comparison, there are 44,000 DVD rental kiosks in the US. I don't really know if there's any connections or valid comparisons to be made here, but thought it was amusing.

I think the issue is they're scattered about in single charging points. One per car to give a better idea. On the flip side, the NACS says there's more than 145,000 fuel stations, which as we know have about 8+ refueling points. So actually we have 1,160,000 roughly in the US. Which in my mind gives a much more clear figure than flatly saying "oh there's 115,000 charging stations, there should be no problem!" Actually it still is. Especially since we're still building more refueling stations.

1657744604877.png

Red dots are existing fuel stations and have existed for the past 25 years. So why did someone think another needed to be built? Are you kidding me?! No, there are zero charging stations in this photo, we have to zoom out farther for that.

1657744747877.png

Where ICE powered cars have a fuel station seemingly every mile, you have to go at least 5 miles further before you can find a charging station. and I've checked these places. There's typically only one plug opposed to the fuel stations 6-8 or 10 refueling points.

Until we stop building fuel stations for the sake of buying empty lots, lets actually give two shits about electric cars. We can't because the people in charge still see it as a novel idea. Stifling new ideas.

Yeah, when you look at "stations" rather than individual chargers, it goes down to about 44k (amusingly, roughly the same number as the RedBox DVD kiosks). A very annoying thing is getting to a location where there's one charger, and it's occupied or out-of-order.

honestly the entire argument is all weird... in many cases, an EV is charged at home or at work. a public charging station is something different than a fuel station - the entire process is all different. arguments / comparisons like the one made above honestly drive me up the wall at this point, i'm so sick and tired of this bullshit. it's just not the reality of recharging the EV. ffs.
can you see i'm having a good day? yes. great.

The argument doesn't work for me either but I had an EV for a year and a half without convenient home or work charging, the lack/poor performance of public chargers was one reason I got rid.

A friend just got a Kona EV and the installers refused to install his home charger (which was approved by everyone else in the chain) because he doesn't have a proper driveway. Maybe it's just a British thing.

honestly the entire argument is all weird... in many cases, an EV is charged at home or at work. a public charging station is something different than a fuel station - the entire process is all different. arguments / comparisons like the one made above honestly drive me up the wall at this point, i'm so sick and tired of this bullshit. it's just not the reality of recharging the EV. ffs.
can you see i'm having a good day? yes. great.

The point I’m trying to make is, unless you own where you live in the US, some areas despite being highly populated are still a joke when it comes to this type of refueling a vehicle. There simply isn’t enough for the amount of people that drive around here and yet we still invest heavily in a tech that needs to go away.

One Type is saturated while the other isn’t invested in the way it should. There should be more charging points in stores and shit. I’m not talking about making the charging points grouped like a fuel station…. Make it easy for the owner, don’t make it a geocaching mission.

a geocaching mission.
that is a nice comparison...
over here the big former state telco decided they had a lot of unused connection capacity since they switched over their old-style mechanical switching stations to the nice new silicon type that doesn't use a lot of power. so they thought hey, we have a lot of power available, we have the space (as the newer machines are much smaller as well), let's put a single 50-150kW station and two parking spots there. sounds sensible, doesn't it? yeah... until you take into accoutn where those bloody switching stations actually are. in the middle of nowhere, oftentimes not very accessible... so yeah, the early users of that were very much on a geocaching mission :|

that is a nice comparison...
over here the big former state telco decided they had a lot of unused connection capacity since they switched over their old-style mechanical switching stations to the nice new silicon type that doesn't use a lot of power. so they thought hey, we have a lot of power available, we have the space (as the newer machines are much smaller as well), let's put a single 50-150kW station and two parking spots there. sounds sensible, doesn't it? yeah... until you take into accoutn where those bloody switching stations actually are. in the middle of nowhere, oftentimes not very accessible... so yeah, the early users of that were very much on a geocaching mission :|

Right, one is so stupidly easily to find, you’d have to be ray charles to miss it, the other you have to have to really look. And that’s how it is here.

The point I’m trying to make is, unless you own where you live in the US, some areas despite being highly populated are still a joke when it comes to this type of refueling a vehicle. There simply isn’t enough for the amount of people that drive around here and yet we still invest heavily in a tech that needs to go away.

One Type is saturated while the other isn’t invested in the way it should. There should be more charging points in stores and shit. I’m not talking about making the charging points grouped like a fuel station…. Make it easy for the owner, don’t make it a geocaching mission.

I get what you are saying. I was part of a conversation earlier and one of the people involved kept going on about automaker A or B had signed a new charging deal. Well, whoopty fucking doo! Until McDonald's, or Walmart does it, the truth is EV will remain a niche player. Then other companies will have to respond with their own chargers, and then they will spread all over.

Walmart is an interesting example. One of the ways they reduce their security costs is by openly welcoming RVers and truckers to park up in the parking lot all night - because having people in the parking lot acts as a deterrent to various nuisance crimes.

And those are people who are mostly sleeping.

Dropping a bunch of EV chargers in the back of the lot invites people who are actually awake.

Great, every car I own needs work. To be fair, I got myself into this mess.

Thankfully three of the four are still roadworthy, but two of them need work before they are fully legally so.

Great, every car I own needs work. To be fair, I got myself into this mess.

This is probably why I don't hang on to older cars. Mercury only stayed around as long as it did because I felt guilt since so many people around me liked it more than I did.