Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

You sound like a prime candidate for leasing

I bought a Jass Performance air scoop for my MX-5 because I noticed that it not much air goes through the cabin with the roof down and I don't want to run the A/C unless the roof is up. It slides down into the latch on the windscreen surround. It's overpriced but it does draw in cool air.

First use and it's damaged the microswitch/sensor that tells the car if the roof is latched/unlatched, so it now thinks that the roof is latched the entire time unless I get my finger behind the metal tab and hold it down manually. I'm not very impressed, there's nothing to say it's not compatible with the PRHT hard top. I can't even find any information on taking that apart.

:mad:

Last edited:
I bought a Jass Performance air scoop for my MX-5 because I noticed that it not much air goes through the cabin with the roof down and I don't want to run the A/C unless the roof is up. It slides down into the latch on the windscreen surround. It's overpriced but it does draw in cool air.

First use and it's damaged the microswitch/sensor that tells the car if the roof is latched/unlatched, so it now thinks that the roof is latched the entire time unless I get my finger behind the metal tab and hold it down manually. I'm not very impressed, there's nothing to say it's not compatible with the PRHT hard top. I can't even find any information on taking that apart.

:mad:

So you're dissatisfied with the product. Was it a coincidence or intentional that your link reads "ass performance"?

So you're dissatisfied with the product. Was it a coincidence or intentional that your link reads "ass performance"?
Hah, that's a coincidence, a consequence of angry rant posting. No kidding I'm dissatisfied, it's one thing having a product underperform but actually damaging the car it's fitted to? It's annoying because I like the product in principle, it works well.

After living here for a decade I finally learned who drives the blue 7th gen Civic hatch that's been parked outside my flat since I moved here. It's a neighbor above me. The car doesn't move for weeks at a time. Today I finally saw it moving, and who drove it. Is it even worth it to own a car at this point? It's a 20 year old shitbox now but when I moved here it was still a reasonably valuable investment.

After living here for a decade I finally learned who drives the blue 7th gen Civic hatch that's been parked outside my flat since I moved here. It's a neighbor above me. The car doesn't move for weeks at a time. Today I finally saw it moving, and who drove it. Is it even worth it to own a car at this point? It's a 20 year old shitbox now but when I moved here it was still a reasonably valuable investment.
Depends, in the US you get old fogies that bought a Cadillac in the 80s or something and drive it maybe once per week. Sometimes it’s just nice to go places. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sometimes it’s just nice to go places. 🤷🏼‍♂️

This. So much this. If they can afford it and are okay with it, better to just have it sitting there for when you need it rather than depending on the charity of family or paying an uber or a cab or something.

Investigation into Isuzu D-Max and Mu-X​

Bannister Law Class Actions is currently investigating the following issues concerning Isuzu D-Max 4×4 and Isuzu Mu-X 4×4 sold by Isuzu UTE Australia Pty Ltd:
  • Cracking of inner guards or any other parts within an engine bay; and
  • Any Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) issues.
Some of the owners of Isuzu D-Max and Mu-X claim that the front inner guards were cracked without being used excessively or within only a few years after the purchase. The cracking issue might be recurring after the crack has been fixed once. Cracks may show up within an engine bay other than inner guards such as near a VIN plate or suspension towers. We have received a report that the repair of the cracks on the inner guard cost $9,722.
Furthermore, DPF issues can be seen in several vehicle makes and models of diesel cars. We have also received a reports that the DPF of Isuzu D-Max not working properly and needed to be replaced and that the replacement of the DPF cost $ 8,770. We are asking owners of the diesel vehicles to register regarding DPF any issues of Isuzu D-Max and Mu-X, please register below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGkATobr6fc
One of the comments
John, I first heard of Isuzu's vulnerabilities to front structural cracking in 2017 when I was visiting south western inland QLD and talked to an experienced owner of a local panel beating business. From memory most of his accounts were associated with accessory bullbars. In 2018, I checked out a used ex-rental 2014 MUX which had around 70K kilometers, no bull bar or tow pack , at an Isuzu dealers on the coast. It had a transverse fatigue crack about half distance from the front in the top left hand channel in the engine bay about 70mm long. It had no evidence of extensive off road work and the salesperson was totally gobsmacked when I pointed it out. I then posted a comment on a popular online Isuzu owners forum which generated a fair buzz with more than 1 owner stating they had experienced similar issues. I thought it may have been a materials issue which was sorted in the later revised model line up. Appears it may not have been resolved.

Which would you choose? A Ford Ka, Dacia Sandero, or an Opel Astra G 2.0L? :D

None of the above, but I don't have to live with the choice.

FB recommended me one of these stupid articles. See how many you agree or disagree with.

- Rain sensing wipers are not useless.
- Car phones weren't necessarily a luxury, they were a money-saving and money-generating tool for the self employed.
- CD player useless? Really? Was this written by a 12 year old?
- Pop up headlights? Oh fuck off.
- The writer can't make up its mind if it's the manual or the electric handbrake that's useless.

Easy, original Ka every day. I’ll never forget the hollow clank when the big doors close, Freelander makes a similar sound and also only had partial door cards.

I’m neutral on the Sandero but really dislike that model of Astra. Make it a GTE and we can talk.

Edit: that article is trash, I got to 13 before closing it in anger.

I never drove a Ka. It'd be interesting to choose one so I'd go with it, even if the final one is just a 500 in "Kinetic Design" clothing.

Damn, traffic really has turned into anomie...

It's not just when I cycle, but even when I drive people just have to overtake, even when I'm doing the speed limit within city limits just to progress no further. :hmm: Tonight I just drove around and not one, but two people had to overtake me while I drove 50-55 kph. The first one turned off after just 700 metres, the second one was still just in front of me when I turned off 5.5 km after he overtook me... :dunno:

I reckon people see my cars and just think "that's slow", so they have to pass, regardless of how fast I'm going. They often pass and then proceeded to drive slower than I was going, or when I go for an overtake they speed up until I have to give up and drop back. I went to pass somebody doing 55mph on the motorway in the Acclaim once and ended up doing 90mph because the guy in the Mercedes decided I couldn't pass. Once I fell in behind he slowed back down to 55...

Another time I was doing 35 in a 30 zone and somebody overtook me on a residential street (albeit a wide one) on a blind crest.

The last time I drove the Dolomite I doing about 55mph downhill entering a 30 zone and rather than stamp on the brakes started easing down to the limit. Some girl in a Renault Clio raced up behind me and drove inches off my back bumper and started weaving side to side like I was a rolling roadblock while I was still doing 10mph over the limit. Obviously I just lifted off the throttle and dropped down to about 20mph until she backed off. Between that, roadworks and getting stuck in a queue of 26 cars behind a cyclist I found the whole experience so miserable and frustrating I gave up and went home.

The only time I've been out with my parents RV, I was overtaken by a Corolla while the passing lane was ending. It almost clipped my left front bumper corner. I was doing 5 over the speed limit, by the way.

I don't blame the Corolla driver one bit. Most RVs are being driven anywhere from 10 to 25 under the limit by gobshites that have decided nobody else needs to make any forward progress just because they are on vacation. I pass them the first chance I get too.