Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

A big sheet of corrugated board reduces the pain of gravel greatly! It also makes getting out easier.

I thought about that (I've got a bunch from some scoreboard parts that were shipped to me), but just flat forgot to get any despite walking past it at least a dozen times.

I've used lifts in the past to work on cars, there's no comparison between the two. It's the only way to go.

Last edited:
Apparently the Chevette was rebadged as a GMC for Argentina from 1992-1995.

1664507018338.png

It's like someone described an 80s Ascona/Cavalier over the phone. On a really bad line. In gale force winds. With a mouth full of marshmallows.

Last edited:
I saw one of the car supermarket adverts today highlighting a 2019 Vauxhall Viva that was for sale. Viva? Viva?

This is a Viva:

1664968898545.png

Somehow I've completely missed (or forgot about) the pointless revival of the Viva name, given to what was the Agila. Probably because it's a rebadged version of what we would've once called a Daewoo.

Screw it, double post...

Today, despite me having more than I could possibly do in 3 lifetimes, I went and looked another project car and pickup one for my brother. Let's talk about his first.

20221005_112748.jpg

Both of these vehicles are at my brother's long time friend's parent's house. The city is on them to clean up around their property, so they have to go. The above Jeep belonged to an aunt who passed. They drove it until it developed an overheating problem. Although it sat for 6 years under a carport, hence the dust, we dropped a battery in it and it started. We only ran it long enough to drive it on the trailer. The oil looks clean, so I'd bet the water pump is to blame. Easy enough to figure that out. Really it's in nice shape, 122k miles, no rust, body is straight, etc. His price? $0.

Now, on to mine. It's not a Mustang, but instead a 1972 Volvo 146. I was told it ran until it developed a fuel pressure problem (too much, oddly). Since then it unfortunately has served as a playhouse for the kids. They've pulled on a few wires and removed the fuses. That's going to be the challenge, I'd imagine.

20221005_105056.jpg

20221005_105114.jpg

I do question the paintwork, I wouldn't imagine it would have originally been a base/clear paint. The hood has also been replaced as it was blue underneath. It's fairly straight (there's a fairly good dent in the left rear) and there's a bit of rust, but not what I would have expected for a 50 year old car. Good news is it's a fuel injected model and a stick shift. Interior is, meh, but it doesn't smell or anything. Plan would be get it running, then start working on the body. Fixing the damage, rust and maybe paint it, cheaply. Satin black would suit it.

Anyway, mine's not free, but it's cheap enough to take on yet another project, maybe.

If that Jeep needs a donor, give me a yell because mine is mostly just slowly rusting into the yard

Yo
Looking for a good looking older ish (70s-90s) car that can be bought in good nick for under £2000
A difficult criteria, IK, but pretty sure it is possible.
I've found a good few Saab 900s that fit the bill pretty well and I certainly wouldn't mind owning one but is there anything else available in that price bracket?

Yo
Looking for a good looking older ish (70s-90s) car that can be bought in good nick for under £2000
A difficult criteria, IK, but pretty sure it is possible.
I've found a good few Saab 900s that fit the bill pretty well and I certainly wouldn't mind owning one but is there anything else available in that price bracket?

What are you preferences? Example: do you want it to be a daily driver, weekend toy, track car?