Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

I really don't like what looks like the start of a new trend with a full width LED-strips on the front of a car like a Mercedes EQS, Hyundai Ioniq 5 and others. First of all I find it rather ugly secondly for some reason I find it really distracting when crossing one on the dark.

Mercury tracer all over again!

I really don't like what looks like the start of a new trend with a full width LED-strips on the front of a car like a Mercedes EQS, Hyundai Ioniq 5 and others. First of all I find it rather ugly secondly for some reason I find it really distracting when crossing one on the dark.
I’m with you there. I love it in the rear (yes please quote me out of context here), but hate how they’re doing it for the front. Sonnenhof doesn’t fit what my perception is used to, so I always have to take a second, closer look at what’s actually going on.

Oh, not me. I love the look. :)
Mercury tracer all over again!
I only hated it on the Tracer and Sable when people wouldn't replace one of the bulbs when they burned out. 😅

1668124679151.png

For what it is, credit where it's due...the new 2023 Prius looks less dog-shit than the current model.

Is it muscular? No.

Is it sporty? Yeah, no.

Is it attractive? Also, no.

But is it a step in the right direction? Sure. I'll give it that.

1668585149760.png

1668585181205.png

1668585198119.png

Shall we say that it is inoffensively Plain Jane?
That sums it up well. I don't like the gloss black arches much but otherwise a massive improvement over the current design.

I think the larger wheels on these new images are doing it massive favors. It makes the current model (below, top) look a bit like the Ssangyong Rodius
1668588836029.png

1668588974949.png

1668588849233.png

Yes that definitely helps, I didn't realise how similar the Rhodus was until now. Wow.

The tiny wheels, combined with the narrow track and rear overhang just made it look like a soapbox racer to me.

I reckon you could change the badge to Honda, call it the Civic and nobody would argue. Better than the recent Civic designs and I don't like the new Type-R either. FN4 was the last good looking one IMO.

I don't know where to begin. It's Demonstrative of how contemptuous people are of fuel saving design features for generic gas guzzler looks.

I do understand my taste are not that of the unwashed masses. Sideskirts ftw
2018-honda-clarity-insideevs-02-copy.jpg

BIG WHEELS are a great example of this. Bigger the wheel more rolling resistance and heavier thus more gasoline needed. So what is on the new Prius... 19 inch pimp my ride wheels.

Though that does fit with what the Prius became a symbol of conspicuous consumption. After all when a Corolla Hybrid gets 53mpg why spend nearly 5k more for the base model Prius with 54mpg. At least the Prius Prime had tax incentives to bring it down by $4500 but it also differentiated itself in looks that you potentially have as much sense as money.
images (19).jpeg
Vs
2016_toyota_prius_5_1024x768.jpg

I give them credit for experimenting with the fuel saving design language with the surround of the lower window seen here.

2013_Toyota_Prius_(ZVW30R)_Hybrid_liftback_(2018-06-06)_02.jpgam199909_inst01_01003H-e1516134365861-1200x798.jpgHonda-Insight-2010-1280-62.jpg

That said the new Prius does look different than the Corolla

maxresdefault (4).jpg

At least until you get inside

Screen-Shot-2019-02-07-at-8.18.09-AM.png

221115141321-02-new-toyota-prius-hybrid-super-169.jpeg
Vs the imaginative interiors that causes people to discuss banning the Prius as being too distracting to drive.

27_2004_Prius-1000x600.jpgsY3px4zaAQunQXw-DZUfvKM___z8r_iGxEFZgIp8XNc.jpg
2022-toyota-prius-prime-dashboard-carbuzz-354464-1600.jpg

The overlap of purchasers will be nill till they do an all electric model but I like it better than the Tesla

2018-tesla-model-3-everything-we-know-feature-car-and-driver-photo-687659-s-original-01.jpeg1668588849233.png

Time to admit that I've started browsing Car and Classic again. I suppose that never really stopped but I've been looking at specific things since the weekend.

At the NEC classic car show there's a charity thing where you can donate to get a ride in one of the cars. There are all sorts of machines like McLarens, Porsches, etc. and I've never really been bothered, this time though a particular car caught my eye - an orange-brown MGB GT V8. I paid my donation and went for a 20 minute ride around the local area... wow, what a nice classic car.

I've never been in an MGB but have always admired the GT variant and especially the V8. Great noise from the Rover V8, a surprising amount of leg room, smooth with a bit of roll in the bends. Lovely. Of course I immediately started looking for them online, basically the entry fee is at least £20K. This seems to be a nice one:

20221102_121335-1110x624.jpg

http://www.classicmg.co.uk/car/factory-mgb-gt-v8-1975-tahiti-blue/

I couldn't bring myself to sell the MX-5 yet as I've only just had it for a year and even then I'd need an extra wedge of cash on top. If only there was an alternative way to get this engine...

Oh wait.

1990-land-rover-discovery-63347da18e776.jpg

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1505831
For less than £6K, an unmolested 2-door V8 on carbs. Same engine, albeit with a bit less performance. 59K miles and dry stored for the last 10 years.

Hmm.....

Boy, are you going to hate the Genesis X Convertible concept...

1668653081705.png

1668653337718.png

Hyundai opened the configurator for the Ioniq 6 in Germany... and take a look at the standard color (i.e. the only one that comes free)! You don't have to like it, but come on, at least there's some color there! Lovely! Crazy options list / pricing, though o_O
1668678143280.png

Lovely colour. Front end is nice but that saggy arse just doesn't work for me. It's like two different cars joined together.

Boy, are you going to hate the Genesis X Convertible concept...

I think it would still distract me should I ever cross one, but in terms of looks the big difference here (in my opinion) is that on this car it is really designed as one piece. Where as the EQS (and I think most other cars with full width LED strip in the front) have a set of headlights and then they just added an LED strip. On this car it looks more like it was designed as one piece instead of copy-pasting parts from different designs. This more uniform design actually looks quite ok/nice to me (apart from the LED strips behind the front wheels).

Last edited:
The new Prius is one of those very few new cars that I first saw press release pictures of, thought: "wow, this actually looks good", took a look at the same pictures following day and didn't completely change my opinion. I'm yet to see one in person, obviously, but I've got to admit, I'm into its design. Looks way less cluttered than the old one, I'd even say it looks elegant and coherent, but at the same time it manages to keep a purposeful design and the 'Priusness' of it. And it looks Japanese enough.

I have a feeling Toyota's design department(s) have been doing something right lately. IMHO, it all started with the current Corolla, which is outdated by now and a bit plain, but a move in the right direction from the previous one, which just looked cheap. The Yaris isn't 100% my cup of tea, but it's instantly recognizable and I've got to admire that. The GR86 looks like a more mature, coherent version of the GT86. Okay, the Supra has way too much going on design-wise, but it's still recognizable.