Random Thoughts... [Automotive Edition]

Goddammit, I hate that I missed that shirt
Sign up for notification, they apparently re-ran it more recently and will sometimes add shirts to the shop in a semi-permanent basis.

If all goes well, one Saab 900 turbo convertible will be dropped off at my house tomorrow in preparation for stripdown and rebuild.

I haven't followed the Ineos Grenadier and for some reason I figured it would be electric. Very satisfying to see that it's powered by a BMW I6 diesel with a ZF automatic.

I haven't followed the Ineos Grenadier and for some reason I figured it would be electric. Very satisfying to see that it's powered by a BMW I6 diesel with a ZF automatic.
Electric would've made no sense for what they think people will buy it for. On the flip side, they sell it as an investment that will last for 10 years so is an ICE car (they offer the 6 in petrol and diesel) going to be viable for that long? Maybe they plan to offer EV conversion somewhere down the line.

Apparently Toyota doesn't have a bZ4X at the Chicago auto show this weekend.

They did bring some EV concepts, though...

1676666396775.png

The BX4TC quickly gained a reputation around here for underdelivering on range and charging features. It looks like Toyota's long time strategy of "why bother, our customers will buy it anyway" backfired on them this time around.

Now the question becomes which Cryptobro has scammed enough people to buy it.

Sometimes I wish I had picked simple and small stuff. Why couldn't I like Minis maybe? That gearbox is so cute and tiny.

Sometimes I wish I had picked simple and small stuff. Why couldn't I like Minis maybe? That gearbox is so cute and tiny.
Gearbox weighs about 30kg and can be thrown about with ease. The engine is 100kg, then add the weight of the flywheel, manifolds, starter etc and it doesn't feel very small!

It is simple though. Had the head off in under an hour, most of which was trying to separate the ancient gasket...

331944827_767896761623752_1219516139077052462_n.jpg

Have been cleaning it up as it was caked in old oil over a cm thick in places and had the texture of chocolate fudge cake...

332677375_1584594125350033_2025596918976806629_n.jpg

333085476_900008117870048_2715751826964255112_n.jpg

What exactly is the point of trying to get someone to move into a gap between the articulated lorries in the right lane if there’s twenty-odd cars in front of the car in the left lane whose driver you’re trying to annoy?

The idiot in question was doing his aggressive swerving, accelerating and braking in nothing less than a mighty Skoda Octavia estate. And the car in front of him did move over as soon as it made the smallest amount of sense, so of course we all got to witness the classic “floor it and brake hard” manoeuvre as he pulled up to the next car whose boot lid needed a thorough inspection of its paint job.

7.jpg

I did a naughty thing today and bought another Datsun 620. It was cheap, I can't help myself. Bought it from the second owner, first owner being dude's dad. Came with a box of new and used parts, some that I can use on mine. I may keep it, but I will see if some friends that have asked about mine would like to own it.