Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

Are you planning on making a system partition to split the OS from your data? I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be suitable. My system drive is 1TB too. :)

I hadn't thought about a partition. My only computer with a partition had a 40GB drive split in two, and it drive me nuts constantly having to move stuff back and forth to free up space to keep groups of files together when...it wouldn't have been a problem if it was all one drive...something to think about...

My HDD is split into 2. 320GB into 60 and 260. I have reinstalled windows a number of times, and this makes it all so much simpler.

How big should the partition be?

Just big enough for the OS?

OS and some breathing room?

OS+ all programs?

Can all of the "My Documents" type folders be linked to drives other than the drive that the OS is on? I never used to use them, but so many programs have "my documents" buttons that I've begin to appreciate their use...but my C drive was never big enough to hold my of the things that one would normally hold in those My Documents folders...

Yes, you can move them to another location. It's in the right click -> properties menu somewhere.

I generally just have an entirely separate drive for OS and program files and have everything important on other drives. In my system right now I have a 160gb which has windows and all programs on it, and all of my files are stored on the other 4 drives.

According to Paul Thurrott from his SuperSite blog, he says that he has recently talked to the Zune team, and that they told him that the current Zunes, the flash 8 and 16, and the 80 and 120, have all been discontinued. Apparently, they will only be selling as long as supplies last. After that, they will only be selling the ZuneHD in 16 and 32.

Source

Bit of a fail move, it was gearing up and getting much better and now they've cut off their own nose, i knew they wouldn't be able to make it last, nice work MS... *clap* *clap*

Best Buy smells horrible.

They always had a specific smell...I don't know if it's the merchandise they carry, or the construction materials they use to build all of their stores, but they all smell the same.

Today, however...holy shitballs, dude. I ended up in 3 different Best Buys today, and their smell was so strong, it hit me like a ton of bricks. My eyes watered, my sinuses burned, and at the 3rd one...the one that actually had what I wanted...I left my credit card there and asked them to ring it up and bring it out to me on the sidewalk because I had to get out of there.

I've never ever been sensitive to things like that. New upholstery, fresh paint, new carpet...never bothered me at all. The first thing I'd do when I opened new electronic equipment was to take a big whiff. *laughs* Yes, I know it's horribly toxic as it's just plastic off-gassing, but I love it.

This, though...whole new level. I was just there to buy hard drives (I'd rather buy them from a store where product is delivered on a truck, than having it delivered to my door via UPS which say you need to package your items to survive a 6ft drop.) I don't see myself going back even though Frys is a half hour away, and I live within 20 minutes of 3 Best Buys.

Not going to bother posting this in a new thread, but does anyone have any recommendations (well, what recommendations) do people have for video editing software?

All I have currently is the standard Windows Movie Maker, which is fail, really fail.

Well I am apparently in MSDN for taking a Linux course, so Windows 7, here I come! Wonder if I can cancel my pre-order...

Watching the Gadget Show from two weeks ago...

"90% of South Korean households have a 50-100MB broadband connection."

They interviewed the interpreter. She gets 1000MB connection for less than ?10 a month... Yes 1000MB. :blink:

*Packs suitcase.

Watching the Gadget Show from two weeks ago...

"90% of South Korean households have a 50-100MB broadband connection."

They interviewed the interpreter. She gets 1000MB connection for less than ?10 a month... Yes 1000MB. :blink:

*Packs suitcase.

I know that was ridiculous.

Anyway I got assaulted by my own computer. Noticed that one of my fans wasn't working, hasn't been since I had the thing apart at the weekend, so shoved my hand in to 're-connect' it, and got a nice slice from the GFX card fan on the side of my hand, then two more on my fingers because I was stupid and carried on. :rolleyes:

The fan didn't like the taste, a blade broke off and left the thing vibrating all over the place. It's now been super-glued back on. Turns out the cables had come unsoldered on the fan I was trying to fix. <_<

Last edited:
I got similar injuries trying to fit a 4890, two SATA drives, and a PCI wifi card to a microATX motherboard.

I can imagine, still stings now.

In other news I'm pretty hyped because I've successfully downloaded a HD show from BBC iplayer without any protection in a format my 360 can read and play. Only problem is my WiFi network can't handle it. :(

It's not bad, better than most of the recent releases at least.

Yeah, it probably is a bit short of the awesome I said it was, but it's been a while since I've heard a decent Thrash Metal sort of album. Well, since United Abominations probably. I don't care what you say, that was decent.

Still trying to decide whether to go see them or not in October.

Dream Theater coming back in December as well, which I will be going to.

Last edited:
Yeah, it probably is a bit short of the awesome I said it was, but it's been a while since I've heard a decent Thrash Metal sort of album. Well, since United Abominations probably. I don't care what you say, that was decent.

Still trying to decide whether to go see them or not in October.

Dream Theater coming back in December as well, which I will be going to.

I just sold my Slayer/Megadeth ticket on ebay for $305.

Figured I need money, rather badly.

And out of Kreator, Cannibal Corpse and Slayer/Megadeth, the latter is the concert I least want to see out of the tickets I have, so, yeah.