Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

You use predictive text?

I don't use it, but just because my phone has a virtual keyboard. I used to use it on my old phones for texting, worked well for me.

It sometimes go back to the default of having XT9 turned on, and that's when I noticed bailout being on top.

It would always get irritated with it for picking the wrong word and shut if off. So many phones have keyboards now though, it doesn't really matter.

It would always get irritated with it for picking the wrong word and shut if off. So many phones have keyboards now though, it doesn't really matter.

Yeah, it's frustrating when it gets the wrong word... but T9's been getting better and better.

One cool thing is that you can still use it with a phone that has a keyboard, and then it just acts like auto complete since you're punching in actual letters and not numbers that it then has to guess into letters.

Microsoft Office 2007 is one of the most annoying products I've ever used!!! Grrr...That's why I'm sticking to Office XP on my personal machines.

First the .docx grievance. WHY? What was wrong with the .doc? As far as I can tell, the old way was much better/simpler - everything in a single file. Why did they have to start using those .xml's?

But more importantly - speed! Office XP flies on pretty much every computer. I'm currently at work on a 3Ghz P4 with 1.5RAM and every time I try to open or close a docx, it takes about 2-3 seconds to open/close Word.

And I almost forgot about the menus - the old ones were so much better! That "Office Button" is one of the worst inventions ever.

Microsoft have gone backwards!

I had the same complaints for a while, but now that I'm used to 07, I don't really like the old versions.

Just got banned "permanently " from a free/public RO server ... and I have no Idea why ... the only thing I can imagine is that I made two or three rather hard shots/frags in a row against one of the admins with the perhaps most hard to use weapon in the game and they must have suspected me to cheat (wich I didn?t do, was just lucky) ... now they?ve banned my steam-id, those pillocks.:mad:

I had the same complaints for a while, but now that I'm used to 07, I don't really like the old versions.

Me too... the new layout is actually really nice once you get used to it.

I used 2007 for like the last semester or two I was at uni, and it was really much faster to add footnotes and that kind of stuff if you knew where to go.

Blue theme is a bit hard on the eyes though, I use black.

P.S. If you don't like the new format of Office files you can go into the options and tell it to save all your files as the old style .doc files and from that point it will save the same old files you're used to.

Last year or so at uni I began using Apple Pages. It was zippy (Office was still PPC only at the time) and it looked better. I don't do enough crazy shit with my word processor to merit Office so it works. Though I admit doing CMS style citation was a bit of a bitch (took me about an hour on a 25 page paper).

I may add that I still use the classic style Start Menu :)
I grew up with Win95 and I still love its simplicity.

Win95 and I still love its simplicity.

Fuck yeah !! I still maintain that Win95 is the best operating system Microsoft has made to date. It was like a crate Chevy 350: all you need is some duct tape and a big hammer to fix pretty much anything that goes wrong with it.

God I miss DOS: every single thing could be fixed from DOS, I was such a wizard with that thing and now I can do fuck all with this piece of crap XP...I want my simplicity back god damnit !!

I am simple man, who likes simple, rugged things. Win98 was also pretty good, but from there onwards it's all gone dowhill.

I hate DOS, I want a proper command line. Anything less than BASH and I am unhappy. Windows 95 was and still is crap. It WILL crash just by being left on. It was pretty sad that NeXT was the only competent OS at the time.

I just did 65 laps on Monza in GTR Evo..:?
My head hates me..

I suspect you people who are still hung up on Windows 95 haven't given anything newer a chance.

For instance, Brother Michael was a wizard in a robe hat with DOS, but can do fuck all with XP. Now, there is no way that DOS is easier to figure out and use than an OS with a GUI like XP, if you take as much time to learn the new stuff as you did the old one. Some people just have an aversion to new things I think...

I suspect you people who are still hung up on Windows 95 haven't given anything newer a chance.

Well, I did migrate to Win XP SP2 a few years ago :) But I am not moving to SP3, or Vista...
I may consider Windows 7 next year, we'll see.

Well since i managed to sort of squeeze in a classic start menu in win 7 i might give it a chance.. It's quite good, but i hate the UI...

Well, I did migrate to Win XP SP2 a few years ago :) But I am not moving to SP3, or Vista...
I may consider Windows 7 next year, we'll see.

Well I assume you at least tried SP3 and Vista and then decided you didn't like them... going by other people's judgements is a big mistake, because most of those people are also basing their opinion on the judgements of others. I've noticed this happens a lot in the world of tech.

Everyone bashed the shit out of Vista... yeah, it's quite a poor OS if you don't have adequate hardware and Vista's basic required specs are already quite high to begin with. But you don't hear anyone say that, they just say that Vista sucks full stop.

Same with Windows 7... even on these forums I've heard people say they're not even going to bother trying it out because of their experience on what others have told them about Vista as their main OS.

Fuck yeah !! I still maintain that Win95 is the best operating system Microsoft has made to date. It was like a crate Chevy 350: all you need is some duct tape and a big hammer to fix pretty much anything that goes wrong with it.

God I miss DOS: every single thing could be fixed from DOS, I was such a wizard with that thing and now I can do fuck all with this piece of crap XP...I want my simplicity back god damnit !!

I am simple man, who likes simple, rugged things. Win98 was also pretty good, but from there onwards it's all gone dowhill.

You could open command prompt and use DOS commands to navigate a maze of cryptic filenames if the concept of a point and click menu system is too complex for you. :p

One of the reasons why I love DOS/Win95/Win98 is because they were simple and yet...you needed a lot of skills to learn how to keep them on tracks and use them.

The new Windows' are made so that people with IQ less than 100 can claim they have "excellent computer skills" because they know how to send/receive e-mails and even created their own blog.
It makes me mad.