Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

I've started playing F.E.A.R. 3 that just came out 2 months ago.

Damn, it's really difficult, there are far too many soldiers coming from way too many places. I've discovered that my stealth techniques don't work in this game. Despite the realism, it's much better to play it Quake 3-style: Balls to the wall, jumping and strafing like a madman.

I used to defend the Bay, then he boned us all with Robot Heaven and 'whatever the fuck that was 3.'
Anyway Bad Boys 1 blu ray on-route, for some reason 2 isn't out. Hoping the DVD will up-res ok.
Also CEX had Transformers 1 for ?5.

Yes, serves me right I guess.
http://img3.imageshack.**/img3/2006/81940644n.jpg

Thankyou Cex, for the high quality service you provide, the sticky cover, the wrong case and the dirty discs.

The only solace I can take is that they are already infiltrating America.

360 games on Win 8?

I've started playing F.E.A.R. 3 that just came out 2 months ago.

Damn, it's really difficult, there are far too many soldiers coming from way too many places. I've discovered that my stealth techniques don't work in this game. Despite the realism, it's much better to play it Quake 3-style: Balls to the wall, jumping and strafing like a madman.

I havent picked it up yet because of the videos I saw on Youtube. There seems to be too many different things happening in this game. Also I found it rather unrealistic; i.e.: the red bolts coming out of the characters' hands and killing enemies in the air, then there is a part where there are like 10 or so soldiers in the middle of what appears to be lots of electric things and the guy playing shoots them up in a somewhat unrealistically fast way, which remids me of one of those old crazy 'shoot 'em up' games like Duke Nukem from the nineties. What's your opinion regarding realism in this game?

Well, I'm still pretty early on in the game and so far it is very realistic. I have no way of killing multiple soldiers at once. I'm still struggling at many places. I usually complain about auto-save function in games which makes them very easy, but here I would like the auto-save to work more often than it does. There are some battles that take a good 30 minutes and it's really annoying when you get killed after 20 minutes and you have to start all the way from the beginning.

It's rather challenging so far.

i've still got the first Fear game and not completed it yet. i'd probably want to complete that and the sequel before moving on to the 3rd game.

360 games on Win 8?

On one hand this would be pretty cool. On the other hand, Xbox 360 has a completely different architecture so I have no idea how they'd do it.

EDIT: on the mutant third hand, this will likely lead to developers not bothering with a PC port at all since the 360 will just work.... which means console-port-itis will just get worse.

Last edited:
After 10 years of Harry Potter movies I have come to realise I have never actualy seen/followed much of it, saw the first one, saw 'another one' and recently saw a bit of another one......

When the whole things is over I should watch them all in succession.

I saw a few minutes of the first one, other than that I haven't really bothered with the series at all

i've still got the first Fear game and not completed it yet. i'd probably want to complete that and the sequel before moving on to the 3rd game.
I still prefer the original FEAR's graphics than it's follow up FEAR 2. The Fear 2 graphics are somewhat worse, less detailed and less realistic than the original graphics. It was so bad, in fact, that I haven't gone past the 2nd or 3rd mission in FEAR 2. Thank god they've gone back to the original when it comes to graphics in FEAR 3.

"We've learned Earth's languages through the world-wide web"
Then how come they speak perfect English?
Shouldn't it have been...
"i 0ptermu55 9rime i frm da planer sibetrn ROFL LOLZ, brb. XD #whenyourealisenoneofyourbuddiescanturnintoanf22raptor"

Fox Joins MMO Biz With Family Guy Online

In what I'm hoping is a baffling joke, Fox has unveiled plans to launch a massively multiplayer online game based on animated sitcom Family Guy.

In case you've somehow avoided the show for the last decade, Family Guy is an animated pastiche of sitcom cliches, obscure references to the 1980s and cast members from other, now-defunct Fox programs.

So far, almost nothing is known of Family Guy Online. In truth, the game's existence as of now is contained entirely within the newly-launched Family Guy Online website.

The site asks fans to register for a chance to join an upcoming beta test of the game, though offers no dates for when this beta test will take place. Likewise, the closest the site gets to throwing fans a release date is the nebulous "coming soon."

By contrast, the game's Facebook site claims Family Guy Online will appear in "Fall 2011," so that's something at least.

Family Guy aficionados may recall that this is not the first time Fox's most recent attempt to recreate the success of The Simpsons has entered the virtual world. In 2006, a game based on the series was released for the PlayStation 2, original Xbox and PSP. The Xbox iteration, which is apparently the best version of the game, currently commands a 53/100 rating among professional gaming critics on Metacritic.

"Maybe those poor scores are the result of a bad developer," I hear the Internet shouting. That's entirely possible. Developer High Voltage Software has never created a game that one might consider a "classic." So who is handling development on Family Guy Online?

I wish I had an answer for you, but that's a mystery. Nowhere does Fox reveal this information. If they handed the property to an established development studio you'd think they'd mention that somewhere, wouldn't you?

I'll admit, my cultural elitism biases me against anything Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane is even remotely involved with. The man has the hubris to remake The Flintstones, for Dino's sake!

Still, forgetting my own personal proclivity toward wit, this entire MMO project smacks of cheap cash-in. I'm withholding official judgment until release (or, at the very least, until we get some screenshots and gameplay details), but until then my sense of superiority will be set at maximum smugness.

WTF?! Why? Its a tv show written by idiots and made for idiots. Why on earth release a game based upon that god-awful tv show? i know the stupid answer is that its going to make money and the legions of idiots out there will sign up to it. but its shit like this thats feeding Seth MacFarlane and convincing loads of people that man knows how to write and produce tv shows.

WTF?! Why? Its a tv show written by idiots manatees and made for idiots. Why on earth release a game based upon that god-awful tv show? i know the stupid answer is that its going to make money and the legions of idiots out there will sign up to it. but its shit like this thats feeding Seth MacFarlane and convincing loads of people that man knows how to write and produce tv shows.

Started playing Final Fantasy X recently, this is my first time playing it. Overall the game is very good so far. There are a few old school design elements that annoyed me, but considering this is an 10 year old game, it's aged pretty well. I'm glad the did away with the random encounter in FF13 (hopefully for all future FF games too). The random encounters in FFX is way too frequent. Another thing is the damage carries over after a battle, I really like the health and mana being restored after battle, I think most new games does this now, so this really stood out as an odd design choice to me. Another thing is the blitzball, thank god there's only one mandatory match. The only other FF game I've played is FF13, I'm only about half way through FFX, but so far I like the story a lot more. It seems to be more focused. In FF13 the first 9 ch or so are spread over too many characters, and telling their back story. But we weren't really given that much detail of how Serah and Snow met and fell in love, in FFX you play it as it happens. The other characters' background are less emphasised, I think that's a better way to go.

TLDR ver: FFX is pretty good for an old game.

Last edited:
So I just watched the first 5 episodes of that Falling Skies show. Good production values and all that. But I'm afraid it will get canceled before the show gets anywhere. When I watched the first episode, I thought that I might have made a mistake and started with the second episode or something. It starts with some kids drawings and some kids voices explaining how the earth got invaded and everything. The whole thing takes like 40 seconds. And then the show starts with a bunch of random people in a group with some military guys and trained civilians leading them through empty cities. And they're just kinda wandering around I guess. So far the first 5 episodes are all about the main character getting his missing son back from the aliens. That's all. The whole thing is about the group wandering and dealing with petty problems, and the main character searching for his son.

It's a pretty good show actually, some suspense and action, but there doesn't seem to be any real direction. It seems like the aliens have won. Earth is theirs and the human race will get wiped out in a matter of time. There is nothing to indicate that the human race has any chance of long term survival. It's done and it's over. Now if that's the setting for the show, great, but it would be nice if they at least had a long term plan of some sort. Like they found out the aliens don't like cold climates, so they're going to head north or something. But there isn't. It seems aimless. I love movies/shows that are based in a post apocalyptic world, with zombies or whatever, so they could have fun with the show, but they're not. It's more of a bleak drama or something.