Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

Dollhouse has finished; ending was quite good but it didn't live up to its expectations and certainly not to Epitaph 1. I loved the ending though; it had this bittersweet quality to it that is hard to pull off these days. Normally when you watch something dumb like I dunno Gossip Girl your brain switches off and their emotional moments go sort of flat but Dollhouse brings this really dark; brooding atmosphere. It gives you that kinda sad feeling but it's subtle feeling not like in other shows where it's like CARE FOR THIS and BE SAD NOW!. It's subtle about it. Dollhouse is the first Whedon show I've watched but damn was it good.

I might give Firefly a shot. What do you guys think. Does it have that sort've tragic; dark; bittersweet tone like Dollhouse?

Ah Scrubs. Proof that more shows need to end on a high rather than dying a painful death and, in the end, being remembered as sucking even if it used to be great. It sucks that Corner Gas (not very well known outside of Canada) had to end, but I respect them for consciously stopping after six great seasons and ending before the writing got stale and sucky. But the end of Corner Gas is made less suck because a new Brent Butt show is starting after the olympics. Or I could use a less Canadian example. BSG. Despite the network being bitches about the show, the writers still chose to end the show, because it had run its course, rather than stretch it out for no good reason until it got cancelled. And then the ending of BSG was made less suck by Caprica.

^ Seasons 5-7 were utter shit. Season 8 was much better and just below seasons 1-4 in quality level. Season 9 is rubbish TV. Why do these shows get to live and Dollhouse has to die...:( I guess these damn nielsen boxes are always given to hicks and dumb asses who only watch reality TV and AAA franchises. No one likes left field sleeper hits anymore.

The Nielsen ratings are pure BS. They give three decimal points like it's some super precise measurement when it's all based on a tiny sample that doesn't really reflect the entire country. Sucks. I hate it. Only a little while ago did they start getting ratings from the kids of families with boxes after they go off to college, and at that only some of them. College kids are the type of people who watch shows like Dollhouse. Stupid ratings.

Has anyone played Dante's Inferno or Bioshock 2 yet? If so, are they any good? I can't afford games like i used to and i prefer to make sure that when i buy a game now, its a game thats going to keep me occupied for a while rather than one thats just going to entertain for a evening or single session.

So does anyone follow the AMC drama television series Mad Men?

I was pointed towards it via an animated gif of Christina Hendricks' derri?re and was interested to see more. Now, after 2/3 of the 1st season, I'm pretty much hooked. I can't even say why, I'd just describe it as a very high quality, unagitated (in a positive way) drama show that is kind of a relief between all the reality tv crap.

Just watched District 9 - got it on Blu Ray finally. Very good film indeed! Although pretty gory, it was very well made, and a MUCH better alien film than all that avatar crap (yeah I prefer the more gritty story).

Just watched District 9 - got it on Blu Ray finally. Very good film indeed! Although pretty gory, it was very well made, and a MUCH better alien film than all that avatar crap (yeah I prefer the more gritty good story).

Fixed that for you.

District 9 was awesome. Even though it sort of forgot about the documentary style halfway through and became a more standard style sci-fi with good cinimatography (ie. not intentionally crappy documentary looking camera work) and lots of 'splosions, it was still great.

Last edited:
^ Yeah I don't think that was much of a problem though. They had reached the stage where a documentary camera crew wouldn't be filming much. Which would mean the entire film would be from a helicopter - not great :lol:. But yeah awesome 'splosions.

I might give Firefly a shot. What do you guys think. Does it have that sort've tragic; dark; bittersweet tone like Dollhouse?

No it has a more Indiana Jones / Han Solo thing going on not to say it is without it's emotional parts of bittersweet moments because it has those to. Also it just ends unlike dollhouse where they knew it was coming firefly just got axed so it has nothing resembling a satisfactory ending and yes i include the movie in that non satisfactory ending statement.

Well, Epitaph Two was clearly done after they knew Dollhouse was cancelled, but after thinking about it for a while I don't think the plot of the rest of the series was changed at all after the cancellation. I say this because they took out Rossum's headquarters, but clearly Rossum wasn't defeated or Epitaph never would have happened. That ended the season's war with Rossum, but Rossum would have come back and rebuilt and there's so much that could have happened. Fuck Fox.

Bioshock 2 is amazing. I've been playing it the past 2 days, it's a fantastic game, if really fucking annoying on hard.

Well, Epitaph Two was clearly done after they knew Dollhouse was cancelled, but after thinking about it for a while I don't think the plot of the rest of the series was changed at all after the cancellation. I say this because they took out Rossum's headquarters, but clearly Rossum wasn't defeated or Epitaph never would have happened. That ended the season's war with Rossum, but Rossum would have come back and rebuilt and there's so much that could have happened. Fuck Fox.

Yeah; me too. Season 2 probably remained unchanged and just happen to click in pretty well with Epitaph Two. But yes fuck fox. They don't know how to give a good show on the air.

Bioshock 2 is amazing. I've been playing it the past 2 days, it's a fantastic game, if really fucking annoying on hard.

big question though, is it as good as or better than the original Bioshock. That "Would You Kindly" moment still remains a complete mindfuck and if Bioshock 2 has anything like that i'm definately sold.

I saw the movie Body of Lies and it was really great. So you should too.

Downloading Command and Conquer 4 Beta.

My expectations for this game could not be any lower.

Watched the Firefly pilot...eh..does it get better? I still don't like it as much as I did Epitaph One

Watched the Firefly pilot...eh..does it get better? I still don't like it as much as I did Epitaph One

Didn't like the pilot?! cast out this blasphemous heretic and deny his heathen views! :p
Actually i thought the series really hit gear right from the start with the pilot. Although later episodes solidified this series as a classic for me. Especially the 'Our Mrs. Reynolds' episode that introduced Saffron.

Didn't like the pilot?! cast out this blasphemous heretic and deny his heathen views! :p
Actually i thought the series really hit gear right from the start with the pilot. Although later episodes solidified this series as a classic for me. Especially the 'Our Mrs. Reynolds' episode that introduced Saffron.

I liked it; but it wasn't really the be all and end all of sci fi tv series. There were some good moments like when the captain with joking with Simon and told him Kaley was dead or the bit when they past the reavers but nothing too spectacular.

Also feels a bit dated to me for some reason. I'm not a big fan of the western theme but I'll stick with it and see how it progresses.

I hated the first 3-4 episodes, and just as I was about to give up,
it got much better, and today it's my favourite SF series of all time.