Random Thoughts... [Entertainment Edition]

Do you say that as a good or a bad thing?

Phil Collins is retiring.

Phil Collins Reportedly Retiring From Music Due To Health Problems
Posted Sat Mar 5, 2011 2:29pm PST by Access Hollywood in Stop The Presses!

LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Retirement may be beckoning music legend Phil Collins to its paradise..

The 60-year-old musician reportedly plans to end his music career due to hearing problems, a dislocated vertebra and nerve damage in his hands -- all caused by a lifetime spent hunched over a drum set..
"I don't think anyone's going to miss me," he reportedly told FHM magazine in a recent interview, according to the UK's Daily Telegraph. "I look at the MTV Music Awards and I think, 'I can't be in the same business as this.' I don't really belong to that world... I'm much happier just to write myself out of the script entirely.".

The former Genesis frontman, who has sold over 150 million records, reportedly plans to focus on raising his two sons, Nicholas and Matthew..

"I'm not worried about not being able to play the drums again, I'm more worried about being able to cut a loaf of bread safely or building things for my kids," he reportedly told the mag. "My doctors tell me it's a work in progress, that it will take about a year for me to recover.".

As for his inspiring percussion performances, Collins said, "I don't think I'll ever be able to do that again.".

Damn..never thought of that...and I thought professional wrestlers had it rough.

Last edited:
I thought he retired some time ago :dunno:

*shrugs* He just put out an album last year of Motown covers, even going so far as hiring the 3 of the remaining funk brothers!

Got around to pre-purchasing my copies of The Witcher 2 and Portal 2 on Steam.

Should be set until BF3, now.

I have it on Steam, but not HD.... unfortunately IIRC it hates controllers. Never actually played it very much.

I have it on Gamecube and Steam and I insist you somehow play it with a controller. It was not originally made to be played without one - it sucks with a mouse and keyboard.

I'm definitely getting the HD version too! Is it out on PS3 yet? :O

Last edited:
I have it on Gamecube and Steam and I insist you somehow play it with a controller. It was not originally made to be played without one - it sucks with a mouse and keyboard.

I'm definitely getting the HD version too! Is it out on PS3 yet? :O

I might have to use something like XPadder, I'll have to double check but I remember it not having controller support at all.

I've been playing Mafia II for a couple of days now.

In one or two areas, this game shines over the GTA IV series... but my word, this game leaves a lot to be desired in so many other ways.

It's just rather boring, isn't it? It's like that really attractive girl who is a zero in the personality department; this game looks so good but it's just not nearly as fun as something like GTA IV for me. Too much driving, too many mundane tasks, stupid cops that get on your case for speeding and won't let you go easily... basically everything all the reviews said was true. Then you have the missions, many of which are super easy but are so long and drawn out you could very easily die because of a car crash or some other trivial occurrence like that.

I hope they do something more with that game engine because Mafia II is just such a half-assed effort IMO.

Last edited:
Don't feel like upping the Medal of Honor thread but I just beat the single player yesterday. Best modern military shooter campaign ever. The shortness doesn't have much of an effect on that since shooters seem to be universally short in single player. It's just so intense and visceral. Unlike a certain franchise named after a fish that wishes it was a Michael Bay movie, the choice for going for realism is really what made the game. Calling in air support is awesome, the sound design is awesome, everything's really pretty, and the radio chatter that's just like actual military chatter is awesome. No ridiculous plots for world domination, no cliched plot twists or any such nonsense, just some heroes trying to get rid of as many bad guys as they can and not die in the process. And oh boy, when shit hits the fan it's intense, unlike in hollywood wannabe games where shit hitting the fan is expected and has no impact.

Multiplayer is meh though, like everyone said. Half the maps are gigantic. Do you know what that means? You will only die by sniper fire (which I'm pretty sure is a one shot kill to any body part since the damage model is semi-hardcore on the non-hardcore modes) and you will never ever see said snipers. Over and over and over and fucking over again, the only people that ever kill you are snipers from miles away. I saw a sniper go 53/0 or something like that (the game lasted 26 minutes). The other maps are CQB...ish. They're nicely designed maps, filled with stuff, and yet snipers still abound down chokepoints (oh so many chokepoints) and still at distances that are too far to actually see them. Multiplayer is one big snipefest, and even if it wasn't non-sniper combat is like whatever, lacks the action of cod and the strategicness of bf. It's DICE doing cod but without the arcadiness, which is what makes cod fun. And the kill streak rewards are just unnecessary. It's certainly not the worst multiplayer, but it's also certainly not as good as battlefield and the sniper issue is impossible to overlook.

Finished Human Planet yesterday, holy moly that was some good tv

I am getting Sherlock withdrawal symptoms (Watched my BluRay copies of the first three episodes into the ground!) - come on when is the next series?????

Just came from True Grit. This is really a great movie with good performances and some tense situations. Also, some incredible cinematography. I really am surprised it didn't win any Acadamy Awards.

Last edited:
I was actually going to try to track down the Twin Snakes (my original PS1 game is damaged to the point of 5-minute load times), but it seems that it may be harder than I thought. I played a bit into MGS4 and really need to get through the other three now for the backstory....

I was actually going to try to track down the Twin Snakes (my original PS1 game is damaged to the point of 5-minute load times), but it seems that it may be harder than I thought. I played a bit into MGS4 and really need to get through the other three now for the backstory....

Yeah I got a copy off ebay for 35 quid, it arrived earlier this week. It's so weird playing it ont GameCube. o_O