Random Thoughts...[F1 edition]

yeah, what did he do?
Well, he said he wanted Germany to stop all bailouts for Spain in order to make all Spaniards starve as a punishment for Alonso being a dick. But that was about a week ago...

Last edited:
That's so golden.

Well, he said he wanted Germany to stop all bailouts for Spain in order to make all Spaniards starve as a punishment for Alonso being a dick. But that was about a week ago...

hmm... :think:

Sadly the circumstances that might cause a dry race to be red-flagged and abandoned would probably mean that any post-race penalties would probably be ignored in the aftermath. A red-flagged dry race without a restart would probably imply an extremely serious accident.

I'd guess it would require an actual death on the track (Ratzenberger and Senna both died in hospital), as with the Las Vegas IndyCar race.

...I was thinking more like giant holes in the tarmac, like several nascar races that I can't recall the names of.

I could see it possibly happening at a temporary track like Monaco or Singapore if the catch-fencing at a spectator area was so badly damaged that it could not be repaired. They had to cut short the second GP3 race at Monaco in 2012 after Conner Daly went into the fence because they could not repair it in the laps/time left.

Does anyone think we'll ever see a full-robotic or partially-automated pit crew in the very long term?

I don't think robots would be quicker, to be honest. Also the chances of a mechanical failure...

Last edited:
I'd guess it would require an actual death on the track (Ratzenberger and Senna both died in hospital), as with the Las Vegas IndyCar race.

Dan Wheldon also died in hospital, at least officially. As the old saying goes, 'nobody dies on a race track unless decapitated or incinerated'.

I think that if there is a red flag situation after the 75% mark in the race and fixing the problem would take a reasonaby big amount of time the organizers would not restart the event and keep everyone waiting. This happened in Canada 1997 following Olivier Panis' accident. Whether you count that as abandoning the race depends on one's definition.

Dan Wheldon also died in hospital, at least officially. As the old saying goes, 'nobody dies on a race track unless decapitated or incinerated'.

I think that if there is a red flag situation after the 75% mark in the race and fixing the problem would take a reasonaby big amount of time the organizers would not restart the event and keep everyone waiting. This happened in Canada 1997 following Olivier Panis' accident. Whether you count that as abandoning the race depends on one's definition.

After 75% there's a high likelihood that all drivers in the race have used both sets of tires, so if there's a definitive race stoppage after that point there's a very low chance of penalties for not using both sets of tires.

yeah, what did he do?

I have no idea. The reason for the ban was stated as : "you need a timeout from the F1 section" :blink:

Guess it was an arbitrary thing. But being born and raised in East Germany, I have experience with "unexplained punishments" <_<

Well, given the amount of things you said during the last month that were not really worth a ban on their own, but not that far away from ban-worthy, I guess it was the sum of them all...

I think Hamilton has made a big mistake leaving McMerc, still time will tell. And McMerc have hired the wrong guy.

Well, given the amount of things you said during the last month that were not really worth a ban on their own, but not that far away from ban-worthy, I guess it was the sum of them all...

If only he hadn't affected the championship leaders!

Oh, wrong ban.

I have no idea. The reason for the ban was stated as : "you need a timeout from the F1 section" :blink:

Guess it was an arbitrary thing. But being born and raised in East Germany, I have experience with "unexplained punishments" <_<

Don't be so dramatic. Some of the things you said, were not tolerable. And by the way: The DDR is history for more than 20 years now, time to arrive in the re-united Germany mentally too, don't you think? ;)

On topic: I am said seeing Norbert Haug leaving Mercedes. He says he leaves, as he takes the responsibility for the lack of success. But I don't buy that. He had other successes in the past and I reckon, there are also unknown reasons behind the scenes. Whenever I read or hear the term "left in mutual agreement", things cannot have been so smoothly.

So is he a "necessary sacrifice", even though both sides deny it? Obviously Mercedes didn't even try to hold him.

Last edited:
Maybe when they decided to cut Schumacher loose, Mercedes also decided a fresh face running the entire motorsports program was prudent, as well.

Just recieved my Raikkonen shirt made by Blayde:
Printed%20Preview.jpg

It's glorious! :D

Bernie Ecclestone's time as "boss of Formula 1" is probably coming to an end. He may be facing charges for corruption by the Munich prosecution office and no CEO of an international operating enterprise could keep his job in such a case.

But apart from that problem he's getting old, too. So the question is: What will happen to Formula 1 after Ecclestone and - maybe more interesting - who would be a good candidate to follow him in his footsteps?

As far as I see it, he has more or less formed F1 around his person and I see a power struggle coming, when his authority isn't anymore.

Bernie Ecclestone's time as "boss of Formula 1" is probably coming to an end. He may be facing charges for corruption by the Munich prosecution office and no CEO of an international operating enterprise could keep his job in such a case.

But apart from that problem he's getting old, too. So the question is: What will happen to Formula 1 after Ecclestone and - maybe more interesting - who would be a good candidate to follow him in his footsteps?

As far as I see it, he has more or less formed F1 around his person and I see a power struggle coming, when his authority isn't anymore.

My selfish hope for Bernie's demise from his position in F1 would be that the power struggle damages F1 so much that the World Endurance Championship becomes the FIA's blue-riband world championship. :lol: However, I'm pretty sure that Bernie has secretly developed a succession plan anyway, so things will continue as they have for the past 30 years since the first Concorde Agreement, and Bernie's successor will be someone none of us will be able to predict.

My selfish hope for Bernie's demise from his position in F1 would be that the power struggle damages F1 so much that the World Endurance Championship becomes the FIA's blue-riband world championship. :lol: However, I'm pretty sure that Bernie has secretly developed a succession plan anyway, so things will continue as they have for the past 30 years since the first Concorde Agreement, and Bernie's successor will be someone none of us will be able to predict.

One of his daughters? :lol: