Random Thoughts...[F1 edition]

Everyone's always trying to stick it to Rubens.

I was just wondering how they were going to mount a Hoveround scooter on the car for him. :mrgreen:

Glad to see Ericsson moving up.. he is definitely the second best of the four drivers in the backmarker teams... Bianchi being the first.

Come back Jules... We miss you.

So, Sauber has also signed Felipe Nasr for 2015. Which makes Sutil and Giedo van der Garde a bit surprised because they both say they have contracts with the team for next year.
Sauber themselves say that the driver situation is clear. Maybe Sutil and van der Garde have not fulfilled some parts of this years contract. Or they have both been bought out with the money Ericsson and Nasr brings to the team.

^Turbo engines are fine. It's all the pointless electrical shit around it that is a net drain.
The money, weight and development time that gets spent on that could be spent on strengthening the engine for higher revs and boost to get the same or more power for a fraction of the cost.
Efficiency my arse.
"Yeah we're going to build the new FOM headquarters out of solid diamond. Sure it costs billions more than making it from a sensible material, but it's... y'know... more rigid and temperature resistant than making it from something sensible! Fuck yeah, the future! Wait, what do you mean we now have to pay the bill?"

?20 million a season for engines? That's the budget of an entire top-flight IndyCar team running turbo V6s with almost the same power, just no electrical accessories.

^Turbo engines are fine. It's all the pointless electrical shit around it that is a net drain.
The money, weight and development time that gets spent on that could be spent on strengthening the engine for higher revs and boost to get the same or more power for a fraction of the cost.
Efficiency my arse.
"Yeah we're going to build the new FOM headquarters out of solid diamond. Sure it costs billions more than making it from a sensible material, but it's... y'know... more rigid and temperature resistant than making it from something sensible! Fuck yeah, the future! Wait, what do you mean we now have to pay the bill?"

?20 million a season for engines? That's the budget of an entire top-flight IndyCar team running turbo V6s with almost the same power, just no electrical accessories.

It's not about getting insane revs anymore, that would be irrelevant to road cars and the manufacturers that pour money into F1 want something relevant. I may not like the idea of quiet hybrids (or even turbocharging for that matter) in motorsport but I'd be lying if I denounced its benefits and obviously strong future it has in road car development. The technology is still young and therefore expensive.

If anything it saddens me that the next generation might not experience the thrill unique to V10s revving to the fucking moon.

I think that ERS is great stuff it is like a supercharger but with the efficiency of a turbo it makes the cars come off the line more quickly it makes them come out of corners more quickly and it makes the engines more efficient with their power. If you want to hear the V10s scream you can just switch on youtube, the high revving engines had a great coming and going sound but I always felt that the sounds of the engines clashed with each other from time to time creating grating artefacts in the sound, the new engines have a more rich and complex noise to my ears.

i love the new engines, and don't miss the NA DB-generators at all

the only things that need to be changed is the rules! give them freedom!! let them test! limit the total amount and the fuelflow, and for the rest, do whatever you like!
(like how LMP rules are)

does anyone know at what year traction control started to be used in F1 cars before it got banned?

Plus 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 if you drove for Red Bull

[trollface]

Why doesn't F1 subsidize transport costs? If they're the ones that want to have races in stupid remote areas why don't they help the poorer teams with those costs?

1992-1993 and Spain 2001-end of 2007.

Cool, thank you.

Why doesn't F1 subsidize transport costs? If they're the ones that want to have races in stupid remote areas why don't they help the poorer teams with those costs?

they do. FOM has/rents 5 cargoplanes for the fly away races where all teams can push their equipment in.
that was another fear for sauber, if VDG keps his foot down and the cars would've been seized, they they would've had to rent a cargoplane themselves after release, and those aren't exactly cheap either...