Random Thoughts...[F1 edition]

I dunno if this is true, but if it is... damn.

Baku preparations : fake facades going up around the track

yb2zggrv4v1x.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comments/4mytzq/baku_preparations_fake_facades_going_up_around/

happened before, happens again...

I think they'd have been better off leaving that building visible, now it looks like they're building a Starbucks or something where as before it had character but I guess governments are embarrassed by character and they want all their buildings to look homogenised and the same as everywhere else in the world.

Last edited:
[FONT=&quot]In a round-table interview in the Yas Marina paddock, Baku race organiser Arif Rahimov acknowledged that hosting Eurovision and the European Games in the past few years had put Azerbaijan on the map, but said that Formula 1 offers its host countries something a little different.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Obviously all of these big events are different markets, and the F1 market is very unique - you get very high-end spectators, a very good crowd both on TV and at the different races as tourists," Rahimov said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Apart from that, I think the visibility that F1 gives you is incomparable to Eurovision and the [European] Games. We've done a very good job hosting the Games and developing the Games as a brand, because that was something that never existed before.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Whereas Formula 1 is an existing brand - you don't need to promote Formula 1 as a brand because it's already so promoted. You just need to make sure that your country understands what it is. So it's a different sort of animal.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"The primary objective is to promote our city from different points: from the touristic point of view, investment? This is a great opportunity to do so," he concluded.[/FONT]

As a tourist, I have never been so tempted by something as I am by draped buildings to hide the shame.

As a tourist, I have never been so tempted by something as I am by draped buildings to hide the shame.

It happens at all races. Certain camera angles are not used to hide that grandstands are empty and they drape a few buildings to make for better TV pictures. I don't really get all this hate against that race. For once we don't get a bland track in the middle of the desert and people are up in arms about it. Let them have their race.

The hate is not towards this track specifically, but against this trend of making city circuits everywhere for profit in detriment of the sport side of the sport.

Also, I don't know what you're talking about. Bland tracks in the middle of the desert? I assume you mean the Circuit of the Americas which for now has given us some great races.
This is not definite proof of anything:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/rate-the-race/circuit-ratings/

But it is number 3 on that list, and many people do go and participate in these F1 Fanatic polls...
Notice the top 15 places are occupied by full time race tracks (with the exception of Albert Park which is a public road the rest of the year but it still looks and feels like a dedicated track). The first city circuit appears at 16 and it's Monte Carlo. The first of these "new city circuits" is Yas Marina at 20

that's my problem with it as well
besides singapore, no city race ever worked, and i'm afraid baku won't be an exception...

racetracks belong in the middle of the desert! (they shouldn't be bland though)

Adelaide seemed to work just fine and this circuit is very similar in concept. Could you guys just give it at least the chance to run at least one race? What are you going to say if the race turns out to be an absolutely good one?

Today I won a ticket for the Canadian GP, in our company corporate box. :dance:

I am not sure however if it's for the whole weekend, or just Saturday. To be confirmed tomorrow.

Edit: Ticket only valid for Saturday, still, can't complain :)

Last edited:
Adelaide seemed to work just fine and this circuit is very similar in concept. Could you guys just give it at least the chance to run at least one race? What are you going to say if the race turns out to be an absolutely good one?

I'd be surprised if anyone here remembers Adelaide as a circuit, so I cannot judge that. For now, all these new city circuits have been crap, while displacing both traditional and new, promising full time purpose built circuits. Not to mention the people who live there must absolutely love the traffic clogs they create.

- - - Updated - - -

Today I won a ticket for the Canadian GP, in our company corporate box. :dance:

Pretty damn awesome!

I have a general memory of Adelaide, having been there a few times when it hosted the GP. I believe the V8 Supercars circuit is the same as that used by F1.

[video=youtube;gc7av-OXMyg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc7av-OXMyg[/video]

(I recommend 1.5x speed)

I'm starting to get the impression Jenson Button has had enough of Formula One.

Ferrari tested the 2017 tyres and it looks amazing...

It kinda looks silly to me. I know the old-school (1970s) F1 cars had tires that wide, but they were also much lower and sleeker machines so it worked for them on an aesthetic level that the taller and more festooned modern cars can't pull off.

Still, if it increases mechanical grip and reduces the reliance on aerodynamic grip, I am all for it regardless of how it looks. :)

Ferrari tested the 2017 tyres and it looks amazing

This does indeed look amazing. Now if only they only get rid of the aero bits...

It kinda looks silly to me. I know the old-school (1970s) F1 cars had tires that wide, but they were also much lower and sleeker machines so it worked for them on an aesthetic level that the taller and more festooned modern cars can't pull off.

these are next years tires, on last years car
the cars next year will be wider, with a lower rear wing
but there aren't any yet to do the testing with...

Always hated the tall thin rear wing, and the hammer head front wing. Wish things looked a lot more like 2006 than 2016. The wheels would give it that last touch.
Also, I keep asking how are little winglets, barge boards, 286 components to the front wing, when the 2009 rules were supposed to eliminate all those little appendages which had gone a little too silly in 2008.

Also, I keep asking how are little winglets, barge boards, 286 components to the front wing, when the 2009 rules were supposed to eliminate all those little appendages which had gone a little too silly in 2008.

i agree on this. it's just stupid. all the tech update articles, with detailed drawings, only to show that the chord length on a front wing has increased with 0.5cm
if there is one area where F1 shouldn't be pushing boundaries, it's in the aero department, it has no relevance to anyone