Random Thoughts [Home Improvement/Decorating Edition]

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3, 1990 Discovery 1 Bobtail
Also, I wasn't aware we had this thread.
Deeper grave, construction workers with a vacuum excavator.

Anyway the thing I mentioned last night. I picked up a partially busted cassette deck for cheaps, got the play deck working (record deck head is half deaf) and wanted somewhere to shove it. You may remember that my over-desk cabinet was like this previously:

IMG_5079_S.jpg

Well from previous measurements I knew that 355mm wide components like this deck would fit in the narrower space and there was just about enough vertical space, so I just needed to remove that shelf. Easy.

IMG_5581_S1920.jpg

This is where that oscillating multi-tool you rarely use is the only tool to do this cleanly and quickly. A little sanding, a little paint and the deck can be shoved in. It's a SONY!

IMG_5608_S1920.jpg

No I'm not really happy with it, it means I can't put the lid on the record player, leaves very little space to put records on but it's still possible and probably blocks the airflow to the amp more than it should. I really want a linear tracking record play with slide out tray but those old units are rather steep. It's in there anyway and I can listen to Eiffel 65 on cassette again. The VU meter is connected to the recorder output of the amp and displays everything except the cassette level, which the player shows itself with an LED meter.

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
The tape hasn't aged well either, despite boasting Dolby B NR on it it sounds awful with it on or off, I guess years in my cheap players since I got it in 98 (first heard it in my uncle's Pug 306 [the first time I ever experienced automatic wipers], on the way to see the filming of Robot Wars in that year so must've got the cassette soon after) have done it no good. Other cassettes sound much better. :dunno:

I'll just listen to it on Spotify and try the deck when I can find my missing 2 Unlimited or Flat Eric cassettes. The cases are there but empty!

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
The tape hasn't aged well either, despite boasting Dolby B NR on it it sounds awful with it on or off, I guess years in my cheap players since I got it in 98 (first heard it in my uncle's Pug 306 [the first time I ever experienced automatic wipers], on the way to see the filming of Robot Wars in that year so must've got the cassette soon after) have done it no good. Other cassettes sound much better. :dunno:

I'll just listen to it on Spotify and try the deck when I can find my missing 2 Unlimited or Flat Eric cassettes. The cases are there but empty!

Aw that sucks, maybe you can put tape over the write protect notch and record a newer version over the ruined one.

Kiki

Registered Bone Marrow
DONOR
Car(s)
'13 Ford Taurus, '11 Ducati M696, '15 Yamaha R3
Ok, maybe landscaping/gardening can be included towards home improvement?

Some of you already got the tour via the meet, but here are some pics of our quarantine project.

So, the whole thing began with our water main line needing to be replaced... our front lawn was completely messed up.

@Blind_Io and I dug up what we could prior to calling the plumbers. (We thought it was a sprinkler issue)

IMG_20200427_141338.jpg

Then, we called in the pros.
IMG_20200428_121751750_HDR.jpg

This was the aftermath...
IMG_20200428_195431.jpg

The funny thing was, we were literally planning out our front yard re-landscaping prior to the leak. 😂

We decided to go with aluminum edging. I previously wanted concrete edging, but that would have been way more expensive and a bitch to maintain/fix. Hopefully the aluminium will accrue some good patina! For mulch, our neighborhood has a bunch of feral cats who liked to use our previous mulch as their litterbox, so we ended up going with river rock pebbles and went with black mulch in the front corner.

IMG_20200604_212531.jpg

We extended the planter around the front door/staircase ...
IMG_20200613_010847.jpg

... and we ended up extending it to the side of the house.
IMG_20200613_012043.jpg

Last edited:

Kiki

Registered Bone Marrow
DONOR
Car(s)
Oh, and it was really convenient - we ordered most everything online!

We ordered 20+ lavendar plants online, but we found the rest of the bushes/plants in person. I didn't find any milkweed (sorry @Redliner ), but I did find some awesome beardtongue and heuchera (thanks to @MWF 's suggestion). :D

We also ordered the river rock online (sight unseen) from a construction company down the street - they promptly delivered it to the door with no hassle. Here's what 4 tons look like.

IMG_20200602_130053.jpg

We also learned that for disposal, our local waste company sold these huge construction debris bags that you can load up yourself and then schedule it for pickup. 'Twas way easier than taking the dirt to the landfill via a trailer ourselves.
IMG_20200614_190200.jpg

Last edited:

Kiki

Registered Bone Marrow
DONOR
Car(s)
All the light replacements!! Looks classy. :D

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Car(s)
Yeah that looks much classier. The light bulb population in and around your house is dwindling though, time to add random extra lights to account for it. :p

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
A lot was put in around the early 2000s and It doesn't look good. Nothing wrong with any of them, being home more motivated me to do something about it compared with a few hours at night and in the morning.