Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
<Top Gear>
Don't say that!
</Top Gear>
ah crap...

It’s the well-known “gonna get worse before it gets better” phase of home improvement.

I rather like these projects where a lot of substance is preserved, but people rip out the guts and then rebuild to an up-to-date standard. They save a ton of perfectly fine buildings and don’t create yet more white shoeboxes, but still get proper utilities and stop losing crazy amounts of heat through the walls and roofs.
weeeelll... if we're being fair the building is from 1984 and already fairly close to a shoebox. without the bloody flat roof ofc. but it's neither particularly interesting nor particularly worthy of preservation or anything. then again, the insulation performance and suchlike isn't all that bad either, so it's not that far to get it up to todays standards. and get all the subsidy money (for other stuffs - heat pump and under floor heating) :|

GRtak

Forum Addict
It’s the well-known “gonna get worse before it gets better” phase of home improvement.

Also known as "did we bite off to much" or, "was it supposed to be like this" stage.

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
At least we’re not doing any of that stuff ourselves 😝
Currently still in the „at least in the end it’s all going to look like we want it“ phase paired with „this is all going much quicker than expected“ (it’s been three weeks today since we got the keys to the place).

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
'95 Volvo 850 Turbo
Besides messing with that Volvo the past two weeks, I've also been busy in my house.

I've painted my deck.

1654229125698.png

I repainted a room to make it less focused on being a little kids room.

1654229585016.png

1654229609948.png

1654229648924.png

I replaced a faucet that decided to clog with calcium somewhere I can't reach, during which my sink decided it wanted to go on a trip, thanks to poor installation from the GDPO, it's all rusty from years of people washing their hands, so I scrapped off all the loose rust and reattached it to the countertop.

1654229529101.png

Lastly, I planted 10 little flower things to reduce the overgrowth that is my flowerbeds that I can't be fucked with normally.

1654229803342.png

Matt2000

An Unfortunate Discovery
DONOR
Four from the top and two from the third row, UK.
Car(s)
'12 MX-5 PRHT, '02 Freelander, '90 Disco 1 Bobtail
Not sure I mentioned it elsewhere but I flipped the top of my Ikea Fredde desk around earlier in the year as I was tired of notch that is cut out of it. I had to re-drill some holes but it went back together perfectly and it's much better with a flat front, it meant that I could get a new desk mat too and didn't need to cut a chunk out of it.

Anyway the only issue was that the corner holes at the back were smaller than those at the front, so my pen holder didn't fit. It took a while to get to it as I was waiting for the 79mm Bosch holesaw to get cheaper but when I got it I 3D printed this template thingy and screwed it to a piece of plywood, I could clamp the plywood and there's now a hole to guide the centre drill of the holesaw.

It needed to be drilled to one side as it would otherwise be too close to the edge of the desk. There's a flat on the edge where the holesaw will be the closest so it doesn't cut into the template

It worked perfectly and I got this crescent of desk. I used my right angle Makita drill for this as it gave me the best chance of keeping it square.