Random Thoughts [Home Improvement/Decorating Edition]

I looked up broiler and aside from tons of pictures of chickens yeah it's pretty much the same thing when it's electric, the gas versions seem to be a bit different though.

TIL too because I thought broiling was a combination of roasting and boiling, don't ask me what form that would take. :p

Isn't the gas version called a salamander?

Isn't the gas version called a salamander?
My brain can't take this. I've heard of a salamander but never an appliance with the same name. :LOL:

It does appear to be roughly the same thing and would both be called a grill over here. Of course, grill means a totally different thing too in the US to what it means here.

This thread got strange, sorry. :p

Trying to find a solid wood bookcase for a reasonable price is damn near impossible right now. Even one with particle board shelves but solid frame is $450.

So, the microwave above the stove: we have a small kitchen. We use the microwave a lot, but would hate to have to give up two feet of counter space. Plus, we'd need a vent hood anyway above the stove. So, here we are. The microwaves fan has a grease filter intake and charcoal filtered exhaust back into thr kitchen (it doesn't exhaust out the roof or wall).

As for a broiler, in the US this is generally built into the oven. In a normal oven, the heating element is on the bottom, whether it's gas or electric. Grilling/broiling either happens in one of two places, depending on your oven:
1) in a drawer under the oven compartment. This location is a cost-saving choice, since the oven's heating elements are right there already. It's super awkward to use, being basically on the floor, there's no window so the only way to inspect the cooking is to open the drawer, and because of the shallow depth, it's often impossible to get your food for enough away from the heat, and you end up scorching the item before it's properly cooked. This is what I have. I'll be using it tonight to roast some veggies for a tortilla soup, but never cook meat with it due to that scorch/undercooked issue.

2) within the cavity of the oven, but with an additional heating element along the top. This location is more common with electric ranges than gas, but both are availble. This is the much much much preferred location, but if you have a gas appliance, it costs more to have the broiler in the oven. When the broiler is located inside the oven, the drawer underneath is generally just storage, and good for sheet trays, muffin tins, etc.

Trying to find a solid wood bookcase for a reasonable price is damn near impossible right now. Even one with particle board shelves but solid frame is $450.

Plywood I paid $68 for 3 years ago is $128 now. I'm not surprised.

What size do you need? Are you open to unfinished pine? It might be worth checking out Hoot Judkins. They are about as inexpensive as I know of for solid wood since they offer the unfinished pine.

No, I need a nice finished piece for my study.

What size are you looking for? Does it need doors? If not, this one says "100% solid wood"

SKU# 306387595

To circle back to the "why a microwave over the stove?", this is half of my kitchen. Not a whole lot of counter space. Which sucks, because there are tons of good countertop microwaves, but not many over-the-stove ones. Forgive the post-dinner mess...

Attachments

• 20220223_230857.jpg
    20220223_230857.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 80
It just dawns on my that I never posted our new place, now that we changed countries, and also made if from the expensive gentrified ghetto of Kreuzberg to the very much "old money" Etu-Töölö.

photo_2022-02-24_10-05-17.jpg
photo_2022-02-24_10-05-16.jpg
photo_2022-02-24_10-05-15.jpg
photo_2022-02-24_10-05-14.jpg
photo_2022-02-24_10-05-13.jpg
photo_2022-02-24_10-05-11.jpg
photo_2022-02-24_10-05-10.jpg
photo_2022-02-24_10-05-08.jpg

Not quite my kind of style, but very comfy and harmonious/consistent? Is that what I mean? In German I'd say "stimmig". Would you be willing to share what desk chair that is? Also: I may need that moomin lamp for my daughters room. yes. totally her room :|

Not quite my kind of style, but very comfy and harmonious/consistent? Is that what I mean? In German I'd say "stimmig". Would you be willing to share what desk chair that is? Also: I may need that moomin lamp for my daughters room. yes. totally her room :|

Looks like an IKEA "LÅNGFJÄLL". You can combine the base with a seat of your choice and go with or without casters.

Yep, the chair is IKEA as @calvinhobbes suspected. We are trying a good mix of mid century modern originals and brand-name reproductions with IKEA stuff as not to break the bank.

I really like the style, particularly the gorgeous Hi-Fi cabinet/console. The mix seems just right, I was watching a Matthias Wandel video last night and the amount of bare wood in his house made me uncomfortable.

I looked up broiler and aside from tons of pictures of chickens yeah it's pretty much the same thing when it's electric, the gas versions seem to be a bit different though.

TIL too because I thought broiling was a combination of roasting and boiling, don't ask me what form that would take. :p
Broasting? Haha.

What size are you looking for? Does it need doors? If not, this one says "100% solid wood"

SKU# 306387595

To circle back to the "why a microwave over the stove?", this is half of my kitchen. Not a whole lot of counter space. Which sucks, because there are tons of good countertop microwaves, but not many over-the-stove ones. Forgive the post-dinner mess...
No more than 24" wide, contemporary styling, lower drawer or cabinet preferred under open shelves.

Broasting? Haha.
Broasting is a combination of deep-frying and pressure cooking. I'm not sure how that portmanteau is supposed to work, though...if it even is one. Maybe it is "boiling and roasting" still, because roasting is a "dry" cooking method, and technically if you're boiling in oil, that's not "wet" because "wet" means water and water vapor. Sort of like how "dry cleaning" still uses liquid, it's just liquid solvents (not water).

No more than 24" wide, contemporary styling, lower drawer or cabinet preferred under open shelves.

Yeah, that's tricky. I'm not seeing many with a contemporary design and a door, and that's even without considering the price. Factor in the price, and you lose the solid wood and/or door. I've gotten some really inexpensive solid wood side tables from Wayfair and even Target/Wal-Mart, but smaller pieces are easy to do in solid wood...larger pieces like book cases are less common. Bummer.

so, erm, does this fit in here or that no longer home improvement? :D
1652884389941.png

what you're seeing here, is our future living/eating/kitchen thing.
what has happened:
- got rid of the horrible tiled floors
- got rid of the screed (that right?) underneath those, hence all those pipes
- got rid of three walls (see holes in the ceiling)
- got rid of the radiators (underneath the windows)
what is to happen:
- move all that electrical just dangling around where there used to be walls
- get rid of all the pipes
- put in underfloor heating + new screed
- put nice oak floors
- replace front door with a window (so you don't enter straight into the kitchen)
- put new front door somewhere through the left
- make those two windows full height door into the garden
- encase / hide the stairs (to the left of the current front door)

yes we're having a lot of fun :|
actually we're quite surprised by how well things are going and how quick progress is being made.

not in the picture, but this week additionally:
- start on a bit more insulation for the roof
- start removing pipes and put in the "correct" pipes for the future bathrooms
... apropos, this is what our main upstairs bath currently looks like - rather similar to the whole downstairs situation :D
1652884831502.png

so, erm, does this fit in here or that no longer home improvement? :D

It’s the well-known “gonna get worse before it gets better” phase of home improvement.

I rather like these projects where a lot of substance is preserved, but people rip out the guts and then rebuild to an up-to-date standard. They save a ton of perfectly fine buildings and don’t create yet more white shoeboxes, but still get proper utilities and stop losing crazy amounts of heat through the walls and roofs.