Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

I've volunteered as a moderator for the Autosport forums (specifically Racing Comments) and my "application" seems to have been accepted. :) Hopefully I won't grow too many white hairs dealing with certain characters present there...

Congrats! :)
And good luck - you'll need it! ;)

My awards presentation dinner went less than smoothly. They had the award with someone else's name and they said he got 3rd place... but the official press release, the instructors, and my own math says I got 3rd place.

So for the podium photo I'm covering up the name on my trophy, and the real one (and my winnings) will be sent via mail.

I had a really slick acceptance speech planned, too.

Thanks. Got down to work today, done a few deletions; wanted to give out a warning, only to find out that the user had only just been warned for that a few minutes earlier.

Hehe, just clicked on your profile there and checked out some of the posts...my god, they really force to be a nagger when they behave the way they do over there...

I'm trying to post relatively normally, but when announcing a warning or a thread clean-up, you really have to nag people until they get the point. :|

And 3-4 days after getting the role underway, I've handed out the first account suspension. 3 days for trolling/baiting plus the fifth warning for the guy. I don't think he'll last for another 3 days afterwards without the banhammer landing on his head.

(Unlike here, only admins can inflict bans; we mods can at most suspend accounts)

Last edited:
Sugababes should probably sue Button for using their song title on his helmet :

[youtube]RHHwRhfjNb4[/youtube]

... Hey, its random right.....

So Tarquini is the new WTCC Champion! It's great to see he's still got it, although I'd have preferred to see him do it in an Alfa, and the 2009 season has been a huge disappointment other than the Ladas finally doing well and some surprising new drivers like Bennani.

^ Well done to Gabriele.

Oh, and in an interview after the BTCC Masters race in '04, he made a little remark which still cracks me up:

Interviewer (Nick Daman): You obviously took to the cars, you didn't mind the argy-bargy.

Gabriele: Yeah.... nah, I saved the car, I think I don't have any, erm... big damage. It's a little bit shorter than before, but it's good.

:roflmao:

Congrats to Tarquini. :)

Franz Engstler has suffered a broken collarbone in the crash that ended the second race this morning. And his car was totalled too - the second time this year after Pau, and both times it wasn't his own fault. He's the most unlucky WTCC driver this year...

All in all I hope next season will be better than this year. The tactical games got all little out of hand....

It was a particularly nasty crash. Couto was hugely lucky to have not been collected by the Weichers BMW driver who skillfully avoided the accident.
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKbe6Z-ORvw[/YOUTUBE]

James Thompson was also injured when his Lada hit a stricken BMW. Both cars were destroyed but he's out of hospital.

wtcc09112007.jpg

wtcc09112007-a.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't see the training and qualifying sessions. Can someone point me to a video clip of that Thompson crash? The wreckage looks nasty too... and losing his eyesight momentarily? Not good...

There was no replay on the qualifying broadcast I saw. Martin Haven mentioned seeing a replay of the accident so it must have been caught by the cameras but whether that has been broadcast at any point I don't know. It was a pretty bad weekend for WTCC as far as machinery goes. Along with those two accidents Yvan Muller and Gabriele Tarquini had a pretty big smash in the qualifying and Ladygin wrote off another Lada as well.

As for that crash that ended the second race, John Cleland had some very harsh words about Couto's driving in the situation and rightly so, the consequences could have been really bad if Engstler's car had been sideways on the track. Double yellow flags before a blind corner should be a big enough warning for anyone.

Congratulations to Tarquini, he had a very solid year and deserved his title. He also takes over the record for oldest driver to win a FIA-sanctioned World Championship title, a record previously held by Juan Manuel Fangio.

It was not what I'd call fantastic year in WTCC, there was some good racing but lots of controversy and lots of politics which really left a sour taste. We shall see what happens during the off-season, the rumours of both Seat and BMW scaling their efforts back and Lada also being in financial trouble make things look a bit bleak but let's hope for the best.

Congrats to Jimmie Johnson for winning his 4th straight Championship. Winning 1 championship in Nascar or any motor sport is amazing winning 4 in a row is very impressive.

capt.2c82d4dac9054b2d955f2159e73b95d9.nascar_homestead_auto_racing_hms128.jpg

Last edited:
Great news for American V8 supercar fans.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...s-get-us-tv-deal/story-e6frey5r-1225803671218

V8 Supercars get US TV deal

THE V8 Supercars will be broadcast to more than 79 million subscribers in America after the championship signed a deal with FOX Sports USA.
The three-year deal will see Australia's premier motorsport category broadcast on the SPEED network, the same cable channel which shows NASCAR, Formula One, MotoGP and several other series to a north American audience.

The deal will see the V8 Supercars televised in the States the weekend after each event. In the past, V8s have only been shown to an American audience as replays at the conclusion of the NASCAR Sprint Cup series.

V8 Supercars Australia executive chairman Tony Cochrane said the deal is a big step in developing the sport's international brand. "This is a fantastic and exciting relationship for V8 Supercars,'' Cochrane said.

"There is no question that SPEED in North America is the foremost network with regards to motorsport coverage and is the pinnacle platform in our sport - to be held in such regard by this highly professional organisation is a great testament to the quality of our television coverage and our racing.''

The American coverage will begin with a broadcast of next month's season-ending Sydney 500.