Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

Woo, just got back from the V8 Supercars at Phillip Island - what a spectacle. Great track for spectators too.

Eddie Jordan was certainly a brave man, judging by this offer that he made to a certain driver...

Quote from Tom Rubython's "Life of Senna":

"The Irishman looked Senna square in the eyes and said: <<I want you to drive for me. But I'll pay you nothing.>>"

I miss EJ in F1 to be honest. A complete misfit, but such a welcome one...

Also, semi-offtopic, but not quite: I can't decide whether I want the Anthracite laced McLaren shoes, or the White strapped ones...

--

Yeah, I'm an idiot, but whatever :p I like being an idiot!

Woo, just got back from the V8 Supercars at Phillip Island - what a spectacle. Great track for spectators too.

Cool, glad you had a good time fbc and good to hear that Phillip Island is a great track for spectators.

Cool, glad you had a good time fbc and good to hear that Phillip Island is a great track for spectators.

Yeah, you can get quite close to the action. Standing on the front straight gets you a great view in the pits, and the feeling when the grid is sitting there hanging off the rev limiter waiting for the start is incredible.

Best spot we found though was between Turns 1 & 2 - having the field come through there at speed, all bunched together, not very far away from you was just amazing.

Eddie Jordan was certainly a brave man, judging by this offer that he made to a certain driver...

Quote from Tom Rubython's "Life of Senna":

"The Irishman looked Senna square in the eyes and said: <<I want you to drive for me. But I'll pay you nothing.>>"

I read Eddie Jordan's biography by Timothy Collins which mentions a similar story. This was in 1993; the interesting thing was that Senna was actually considering the proposal.

I read Eddie Jordan's biography by Timothy Collins which mentions a similar story. This was in 1993; the interesting thing was that Senna was actually considering the proposal.

Yeah, he considered it, but what turned him away was that his childhood hero, Emerson Fittipaldi, had made a similar move which resulted in disaster.

I don't remember where i heard or read this but i heard that Sebastian Vettel first drove around the go kart track that the Schumacher family owned. :blink:

I miss EJ in F1 to be honest. A complete misfit, but such a welcome one...

Also, semi-offtopic, but not quite: I can't decide whether I want the Anthracite laced McLaren shoes, or the White strapped ones...

--

Yeah, I'm an idiot, but whatever :p I like being an idiot!

I'd go the Anthracite laced, but at 119 quid not including P+H, they're a bit on the pricey side...

I'm considering them though, maybe for Christmas.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70669

Palmer wins Formula Two tender

By Pablo Elizalde Monday, September 15th 2008, 13:07 GMT

MotorSport Vision (MSV) has won the tender to supply chassis and engines for the new Formula Two championship, the FIA announced on Monday.

Following a fax vote of the FIA World Motor Sport Council, it was agreed that MSV will promote the championship as well as run the cars.

The new car will be designed by the Williams Formula One team one and will incorporate a turbocharged 1.8 litre Audi engine and be built to Formula One-level safety standards.

The first prototype car is on schedule for its testing debut in November, with the championship due to start in May 2009. The series will include eight double-header rounds.

MSV is run by former grand prix driver Jonathan Palmer and owns and operates five circuits in the UK. The company has run the Formula Palmer Audi racing championship for the last 11 years.

"The objective is to make top-level international single-seater racing available to drivers who at present have difficulty in raising enough money to demonstrate their talent," said FIA president Max Mosley.

"Formula One and other major championships will benefit by being able to draw on a far larger pool of drivers, while competitors from countries which do not yet have an established motor racing structure will find it easier to make progress.

"We hope to reveal talent that might otherwise never have emerged and we look forward to seeing drivers coming into Formula One with Super Licences gained in Formula Two."

So it looks like Formula Palmer Audi is going to vanish... and become the new Formula Two.

I hope to see Romanian drivers there. We had two this year in the Formula BMW Europe series.

This image contains 3 of the 4 oldest people in the garage area during this past weekend's NASCAR events at NHIS.
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/lu/lupin_iv/2008/09/15/08nh2DP658.jpg

Not a fan of NASCAR, but Richard Petty is a helluva cool looking dude haha. Kyle is also one of my favourite personalities in NASCAR.

Yesterday I watched the Targa Newfoundland Rally.

First time I've ever seen glowing disc brakes in real life :lol:

so many amazing cars... makes me wish I had a good camera.

A little tale from the depths of the Sch00ey era...

We all know that Michael's Monaco GP lasted from the start grid all the way to Portier corner on lap 1, when he crashed out of the race. He then spent half an hour alone in the motorhome, trying to think his position through and how to play out his anger at himself in front of the media.

He had an apartment in Monaco at the time. After giving the required interviews, he climbed aboard his bike to ride back to the apartment... but, 400-500 meters after setting off, the bike broke down!

Truly, May 19th 1996 was not his day.

Here's hoping i get to go to Bathurst for the entire weekend this year.