Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

Great drive by Plato in BTTC Race 1 today...

I just watched Race 2, this was the first BTCC race I've seen from start to finish - but after watching this, I think I'll do so more often in the future. :D

I wish I could watch BTCC somewhere. And by that I mean without paying about 25 ?/month to get MotorsTV via cable TV.

Really random thought:

Does anyone else immediately think of a certain year when someone mentions a decade of GP racing?

For me it's
1950s: 1950
1960s: 1967
1970s:1979
1980s:1981
1990s:1996
2000s: 2004

Someone try this (without thinking about the year or what happened), and see if the same years come up...I really wonder why some years just come to mind...or why I'm so crazy to think so...

Really random thought:

Does anyone else immediately think of a certain year when someone mentions a decade of GP racing?

For me it's
1950s: 1950
1960s: 1967
1970s:1979
1980s:1981
1990s:1996
2000s: 2004

Someone try this (without thinking about the year or what happened), and see if the same years come up...I really wonder why some years just come to mind...or why I'm so crazy to think so...

50's: 1955
60's: 1967
70's: 1978
80's: 1986
90's: 1994 :(
00's: 2004 :yes:

So what happened in 67? Why does that year come to mind?

Several things happened during 1967 (not the least of which was the introduction of Cosworth DFV) but, I think more importantly, Grand Prix Legends was based on 1967 season. At least that's what makes it most memorable for me.

Several things happened during 1967 (not the least of which was the introduction of Cosworth DFV) but, I think more importantly, Grand Prix Legends was based on 1967 season. At least that's what makes it most memorable for me.

Bingo.

Ah, that's why many of the old GTR2 tracks are from that year...:)

Random thought :

Jesus Christ, this 60 year old bus pass fella called Niki Lauda is so full of crap and criticism ! He spools out SO MUCH SHIT !
Cant he just keep his mouth shut for once ?

Random thought :

Jesus Christ, this 60 year old bus pass fella called Niki Lauda is so full of crap and criticism ! He spools out SO MUCH SHIT !
Cant he just keep his mouth shut for once ?

Because he thinks he knows what he's talking about, and every once in a while, he manages to nail something.

I noticed it yesterday as I watched the last few races of the World Challenge. I'm not overly fond of the paint job, would look better in silver.

I also couldn't help but laugh at the idea of having a pair FWD Volvos in a field of GT cars and winning the whole race :lol:

I noticed it yesterday as I watched the last few races of the World Challenge. I'm not overly fond of the paint job, would look better in silver.

I also couldn't help but laugh at the idea of having a pair FWD Volvos in a field of GT cars and winning the whole race :lol:

They're AWD.

They're AWD.

Right you are, I must have misheard the commentators, I thought they said fwd at some point. Still, Volvo S60s racing agaisnt Porsches, Aston Martins and a Merc SLR sounds slightly bizarre.

Not that it's a bad thing, it's great to have variety in the GT class.

Anthony Reid is back in the BTCC at last! This is turning out to be a great year. And I'm going to see him race Johnny Herbert as Silverstone! Awesome!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77996

World engine gathering momentum

By David Evans Tuesday, August 25th 2009, 16:39 GMT

The so-called "world engine" has taken another step forward following what was described as a positive meeting at the FIA in Paris on Monday.

Manufacturers met to discuss the merits of the common-build 1600cc and two-litre engines as a future platform for motorsport.

One of the key discussions in the morning meeting had been the possibility of a turbocharged 1500cc, three-cylinder engine replacing the 1600cc plan. Such a move was, according to sources, scotched.

The source told AUTOSPORT: "There were some loose ends to be tied up with the world engine - and that's what the meeting was all about. The 1.5 engine had been proposed by a group of manufacturers, but following a healthy debate, even they could see the flaws in such a plan."

The problem with a 1500cc unit would be achieving more than 250bhp in economical fashion. There's also the technical problem of running 1600cc and two-litre platforms allows the use of common engine architecture and components.

The source continued: "The FIA is looking at two engines (1.6 and two-litre) so that formulas needing more than 450bhp can take the two-litre regulations rather than having to spend millions of pounds developing the 1.6 motor to get that power output. It's that simple. The meeting was all about common sense."

While the meeting had no regulatory power, it is planned that the FIA will present the world engine to its individual championships and left to the various commissions to decide whether they want to take the engine up.

The source added: "The plan is that the engine is recommended to commissions, such as the World Rally Championship Commission, and they can then take that rule and propose it to World Motor Sport Council as a regulation. The more championships which do this, the more engines are going to be built and the lower the costs can be."

Both the WRC and World Touring Car Championships will be utilising the 1.6 turbo engine from 2011 onwards.

The meeting did tackle the problem of manufacturers wanting a stronger identity with the engine under the bonnet of their own cars- and waivers will be permitted for marques wishing to build their own 1.6 or two-litre engines to strict FIA regulations.

The example of Subaru returning to motorsport with a flat-four engine.

"One of the really strong points coming from the meeting was we're looking to being manufacturers to motorsport," the source said. "So, if Subaru did want to return with the flat-four configuration, waivers would be created to make sure that happened and Subaru or any manufacturer running a different configuration of 1.6 or two-litre engine would be welcome."

:| I'm not sure I like this development.

:sick: How can an F1 car have the same engine as a rally car? It's just stupid.

Well... the FIA's targeted championships can apparently choose whether they want this engine or not.

On another note, I'm just watching the review of the 1987 24 Hours of Le Mans. An issue with fuel quality meant that 7 or 8 turbocharged engines suffered piston failures... within the first 60 minutes of the race.

One of the sidelined cars is one of the two factory Porsches. And Jochen Mass, who was driving the car at the time, is not impressed...

Reporter: Jochen Mass, tell us about Le Mans '87...

Mass: Yeah, here's the answer.

https://pic.armedcats.net/r/re/renaultfan/2009/08/25/rubbish.jpg

I'm still not sold on this world engine. Theoretically having similar ruleset between rallying and touring car racing could work because those diciplines are reasonably similar, and maybe same engines could be used on some lower category single seaters as well to reduce costs. However, what I'm expecting from this is a very tight spec with very little room for development (like Subaru theoretically having to get a special waiver to use a flat engine) and I'm not overly fond of that.