Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

I like the fact they are planning to get 450hp from these 1.6litre WRC motors :D

That'd have to be one tight, high revving little bastard to pump out that much without a turbo.

Several things happened during 1967 (not the least of which was the introduction of Cosworth DFV) but, I think more importantly, Grand Prix Legends was based on 1967 season. At least that's what makes it most memorable for me.

I still remember the tagline for that game.

'In 1968 they changed the rules of Grand Prix racing to cut down on driver fatalities.

Welcome to 1967'.

:cool:

Johnny Herbert did well in the BTCC, only to be taken out by Jason Potato...

Poor Marcos Ambrose, dominates for the third year in a row in Nascar Nationwide at Montreal, and it gets away from him for the third time as well. :(

FYI, this was an awful race not because of the racing, but because of the time spent on yellow flags.
I can understand the need for the yellow flags, but do they so many laps each time?
And for the love of god why does the pace car have to run AT THIRTY-FIVE MILES PER HOUR! :mad:

And for the love of god why does the pace car have to run AT THIRTY-FIVE MILES PER HOUR! :mad:

Because it's a Camry and it's going as fast as it can.

I love how other series' have big fast cars like Audis and Mercedes and souped up Mazdas and such, and they all tear around the track making tire noise and having a ball.

Then there's NASCAR. The manly sport where they pootle around like grannies on a shopping trip whenever someone's mirror falls off.

Last edited:
Did you watch the race? That was not a Camry, it was a bloody pickup. 'Pace truck' as they said. Ridiculous.

On the long yellows, the yellow flag rules are really designed for ovals and could do with tweaking on road courses. There is no need to run one extra caution lap every time just to form the grid on a track this long, they could just shut the lights down halfway through the lap (or even later) and easily make the double file grid by the time they finish the lap.

Got to feel for Ambrose, though. Such dominance through the day and then one slight slipup costs him the win again. Motor racing can be tough, at times.

Are you kidding? I could almost go into a coma listening to this stuff. Screaming LMP engines are the most comforting sounds I've ever heard in my life.

I thought that would be the case, but I couldn't stop myself trying to identify the cars by engine sound...which didn't work like counting sheep, but just kept me awake longer :p

In another case of "I went on the Internet this week and I found THIS!!!!", I've managed to track down the transcript of the post-race PC of the 2004 San Marino GP, when Schuey and Montoya had a bit of a moment on the first lap. Monty was really angered, and the following quotes put that into perspective...

Monty said:
Q: Juan Pablo, let?s have that first lap from your point of view?
Juan Pablo MONTOYA: Well, you know Michael had a poor start. He was slow out of the first chicane, you know, the first turns two and three. I went to pass, he closed the door on me and I had to back off. Then he did the same out of the next corner and closed the door, so I went for the inside and I?m coming out beside him and the next thing I see he?s just coming straight at me, hit me and put me in the grass. It?s very disappointing to see racing like that but I?ll be surprised if he gets away with it. It?s up to the FIA really.

Schuey said:
Q: You?ve heard Juan Pablo?s comments about the first lap; have you got any reply to that?
MS: No.

Q: (Jonathan Noble ? Autosport): For Michael and Juan, when you are running side-by-side and fighting for position round the corner, can you just clarify what you consider acceptable behaviour and what is unacceptable?
JPM: He said he didn?t see me. He thought I wasn?t there so I don?t know, forgot to look maybe.
MS: I saw his attack on the outside at braking, but then going out of the corner for me?first of all I did not see him, but second, outside around the corner you usually lose ground so I didn?t expect him to be there.

Q: (Tony Dodgins ? Tony Dodgins and Associates): Juan, sorry to harp on about the incident, but I think you said in the unilaterals you?d gone for the inside, but when we pick up the tv pictures you seem to be driving round the outside?
JPM: That was afterwards. After the first three corners he had a bad exit and I went for the inside.

Q: Was it Tosa?
JPM: No, before Tosa. Turns one, two, three. I don?t know. I?m amazed, I actually got in front of him when we were braking?(while watching television replays) oh no he didn?t see me there (laughter). No chance. You?ve got to be either blind or stupid not to see me. But you know it is racing.

And the final nail...

Q: (Olaf Bachmann ? Koelner Stadt Anzeiger): Juan, can you explain your gesture on the last lap to Michael?
JPM: I just said ?what happened, what were you thinking?. That?s all.
MS: I thought you were congratulating me.
JPM: I never do actually.

^^[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urAzPF6Yw8w[/YOUTUBE]

Also did anyone see the horrible F3 crash in brands hatch? Bianchi and Geronimi are lucky to be alive:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLJoZ-jxcoY&feature=sub[/YOUTUBE]