Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

8W has put up an extremely comprehensive and interesting article about the car which "murdered" Indianapolis in 1994, the famous Penske PC23 with the infamous Mercedes-Benz 500I 1000bhp pushrod V8. Or, as the authors of the article put it, "Mercedosaurus Rex".

Enjoy. :) I know I did.

Last edited:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/80839

Tech 3 signs Sechelariu for GP3

By Matt Beer Wednesday, January 13th 2010, 15:38 GMT

Tech 3 is to run Romanian teenager Doru Sechelariu in the inaugural GP3 season.

Simon Abadie's squad is adding a GP3 programme to its Formula Renault 3.5 and Megane Trophy operations this year, and will run three cars in the new series.

It has signed 17-year-old Sechelariu as its first GP3 driver, the Romanian stepping up after two and a half years in Formula BMW. He has contested the European series for the past two years, taking two podium finishes, having also had outings in the British, Pacific and American championships in the past.

"He's very young and this season his aim will be to fight at the front at this new level," said Abadie.

"He's proved his speed and his capacity to work, and we're delighted to welcome him to Tech 1 Racing. The real aim of this formula is to train young drivers and that's what we're going to do with Doru."

The first GP3 tests will take place in early March, with the championship commencing on the Spanish Grand Prix support package at Catalunya in May.

Excuse me while I bounce off the walls. EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marcus Ericsson signs for Super Nova in GP2, also rumor has it he is considered as a test driver for Mercedes! :thumbsup:
Klick!

Rookie lineups seem to become the new way to go for the teams in the GP2 Series lately, as Super Nova also confirmed it will field Marcus Ericsson and Josef Kral for the 2010 season of the aforementioned championship.

?It's great for me to be in GP2 and with Super Nova. Because of their track record I'm sure they'll have a very competitive car. You always strive to try to win so that's what I'm going to do. It will be tough but we're not here to finish second,? said the 19-year old Ericsson, according to Autosport.

Having won the Japanese F3 championship last season, Ericsson secured a race seat with French outfit ART Grand Prix in the 2009/10 edition of the GP2 Asia Series. Also, during the month of December, the Swede was picked by Mercedes GP to test the BGP 001 F1 car at the rookie testing session in Jerez.

According to recent rumors in the Finnish media, it seems the Brackley based officials are now considering to offer Ericsson a reserve/test role within the Mercedes GP organization for the 2010 season. He would therefore have the chance to drive F1 cars during the Friday sessions of every grand prix, in case such a ?rookie rule? will be approved by the FIA.

There might be a VW Golf and Fiat Abarth team in the BTCC team next year from what I've heard. Could be interesting. Meanwhile, Andrew Jordan's Pirtek Vauxhall looks bloody awesome. Rather V8supercars-ish.

btcc10011401.jpg

^ The Abarth rumours are all BS, apparently. The Punto is far too small to even be legal under BTCC regulations. As for the Golf, that programme is in a pretty advanced state as far as I know.

Well, the AmD team has taken delivery of their VW Golf so I'd be surprised if they weren't on the grid next year. That said, it seems like an amateur team so they'll propably be found in the second half of the grid with John George, Martyn Bell and the rest of the gentleman racers.

As for If Motorsports, the Punto being not valid thing aside I'd love to see them enter a car built to the new NGTC spec, regardless of the make and model. It would be really nice to see one of those on track and also up against the current cars.

Also, Arena Motorsport is considering running the Focuses on LPG this season. Tom Chilton is testing with both fuels in Spain some time this month.

EDIT: Place your bets on Tom Chilton's hair colour at the start of the season. He ended 2009 with pink...

Last edited:
Rumor has it David Coulthard might be on his way to DTM...

Information has surfaced in Germany that ex Formula One driver David Coulthard is going to test a Mercedes C-Class for an eventual Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters entry. The German site Motorsport Total asked Mercedes about it and they neither confirmed or denied the information about Coulthard.

The Scot retired from Formula One after the 2008 season, having completed a total of 247 races since 1994.

Coulthard was present during the DTM finale of 2009 and was asked if he was interested in joining the series.

"I have not spoken to Norbert Haug yet," said Coulthard evasively to Motorsport Total.

The German newspaper Sport Bild reports that Coulthard is scheduled to complete a test with Mercedes shortly and could replace Ralf Schumacher for the coming season.

Stay tuned for more news on the subject!
http://www.touringcartimes.com/news.php?id=4335

Last edited:
^ Well he's still under contract with the Beeb, so he has to appear on all F1 weekends if possible.

Although, looking at the DTM schedule, surprisingly, there are exactly ZERO clashes between the F1 and DTM calendars for 2010. So it might be somewhat likely.

^I doubt the beeb would interfere if he wanted to go racing again, but then again i don't know how much assholes they are..

^I doubt the beeb would interfere if he wanted to go racing again, but then again i don't know how much assholes they are..

Well the BBC did force Martin to commentate the Hungarian GP which he normally would gets as a holiday weekend (from ITV) with his family, so I won't be surprised if they stop DC from participating in the DTM series.

Having said that, I don't normally follow the DTM series. Maybe I will if DC can provide some entertainment there, something Ralf failed to do.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYbOWY2yEF4[/youtube]

AmD got a visit from TOCA officials and their Golf has been passed as fit for the BTCC this year, according to one of their drivers (Shaun Hollamby) who posts on Ten-Tenths.com.

And in other news, we know that Tom Kristensen has retired from the DTM to focus fully on Audi's sportscar project. One of his touted replacements might be...

Anthony Davidson.

Last edited:
I love the way this new ford fiesta s2000 car looks like.

500x_ford_fiesta_s2000.jpg

Last edited: