Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

what's with all the F1 cars comming for sale lately?

lauda-ferrari-312-b3.jpg

http://www.motorsportretro.com/2012...Feed:+motorsportretro/fhnD+(Motorsport+Retro)

I've just booked my tickets for the British Superbikes race at Snetterton this coming weekend. I've never seen motorcycle racing in person so it should be a lot of fun! I think I'm going to be heading to the circuit a lot this summer as it's only about 20 miles away and they have loads of events going on including Formula 3 and BTTC races.

C'mon Sato!!!

(yes, i'm actually watching the indy500 :shock:)

C'mon Sato!!!

(yes, i'm actually watching the indy500 :shock:)

I'll admit I'm watching it too and pulling for Sato. Also Barichello is doing pretty damn good for a 500 rookie. :thumbup:

10 laps to go! let's hope we can get through them without yet another yellow

don't think Sato will win though :(

FUCK!!!! Sato crashed in the last lap overtaking the leader :(

but after that disillusionous monaco gp, this was actually exciting!
loved it!

Well fuck that. Sucks hard for Sato. I was so excited to see him overtaking Dario, and then heartbroken to see him start spinning.

A bit anticlimactic finish to the race. I can't help but feel for Sato, though, he came so close and then threw it away. Dario definitely was defending hard but still kept it fair. He was really lucky not to get wiped out in the process.

But that aside, it was a really good race. Great racing, insane restarts, pit lane action, and despite a few really frightening incidents, everyone walked away in the end. You can't really ask for more than that. Another classic Indy 500.

i know little to nothing about the indy series, i just started watching since someone on twitter said the race was about to start, and as the race progressed, i started rooting for Sako

reading around on the internet...was everyone rooting for Sato? everyone seems to be gutted he crashed?

This was his third 500 and his best finish was 20th. I think everyone was rooting for him because of that more than anything. Who doesn't like an upset?

I can't believe how close the race was the whole time! The biggest lead was about 5 seconds I think? Insane!

And good job Reubens for finishing 11th in his first 500! He was well ahead of all the other 'rookies' (as strange as it is calling him a rookie!). Wouldn't it be something to see him win it next year?

This was his third 500 and his best finish was 20th. I think everyone was rooting for him because of that more than anything. Who doesn't like an upset?

I can't believe how close the race was the whole time! The biggest lead was about 5 seconds I think? Insane!

And good job Reubens for finishing 11th in his first 500! He was well ahead of all the other 'rookies' (as strange as it is calling him a rookie!). Wouldn't it be something to see him win it next year?

He even lead the race for one lap!

And it keeps getting better!

Barrichello's 11th place earns Chase Rookie of the Year Award

Rubens Barrichello had competed (and won) at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway previously, but not on the famous 2.5-mile oval.

So entering the Rookie Orientation Program on May 10 ? fresh off his rookie oval test at Texas Motor Speedway -- the Formula One veteran and IZOD IndyCar Series newbie didn?t quite know what to expect.

Yes, he received tutoring from KV Racing Technology teammate and countryman Tony Kanaan and insight from his engineer, Eddie Jones, team co-owner Jimmy Vasser and crew members. But much of quickly learning the peccadillos of the racetrack was under his control.

Barrichello, driving the No. 8 BMC | EMBRASE ? KV Racing Technology car powered by Chevrolet, surprised quite a few spectators ? and maybe himself ? by qualifying 10th on May 19 for the Indianapolis 500. He backed it up with an 11th-place finish to win the Chase Rookie of the Year Award.

Barrichello essentially went to school in the first half of the race, being patient, adapting to running in packs and dealing with the turbulence. By Lap 148 he was in the top 10, and over the final 50 laps fought to remain there.

"It was a very busy afternoon,? Barrichello said. ?I had to be a quick learner and the last 20 laps were totally different to the first 180. Today I wanted to be competitive, but I also wanted to make sure I was running till the finish. I think right at the end we had a little too much downforce on the car, but I am so proud of what we achieved. The team did a fantastic job of keeping me safe and I really enjoyed my first Indianapolis 500."

Barrichello, who turned 40 on May 23, was attempting to become the first driver to win both the Indianapolis 500 and the U. S. Grand Prix Formula One race (2002) that was held on the IMS road course.

?I?m still very proud of what the team has achieved,? he said. ?And it?s a pity that we didn?t finish top 10, we?re just outside, but I can be proud of that for my first time out.?

http://www.indycar.com/en/News/2012/05-May/5-27-Barrichello-is-highest-finishing-rookie

Awesome! :thumbup: I didn't realize that was his first oval race either.

How about calling Jean Alesi rookie? :blink:

He didn't even race! :p

reading around on the internet...was everyone rooting for Sato? everyone seems to be gutted he crashed?

As someone mentioned I think everyone was rooting for Sato (except the Dario fans) because of the underdog factor and the determination he showed earlier in the race. I think he gained a lot of fans on Sunday, and working with Bobby Rahal seems to have made him a bit more steady. But I think there was also big disappointment about the fact that he crashed out and robbed us of a last lap duel to the finish line, which might have made the race even more awesome.

He didn't even race! :p

Well, technically he did do laps in Indy 500. And he did do his Rookie Orientation Test.

Hopefully he'll be back next year with more competitive car.

Awesome! :thumbup: I didn't realize that was his first oval race either.

yes, and since he promised his wife years ago he would never race an oval, he was reluctant to enter the indy-series, because he would have to drive the indy500
but i guess his wife buckled?

yes, and since he promised his wife years ago he would never race an oval, he was reluctant to enter the indy-series, because he would have to drive the indy500
but i guess his wife buckled?

From what I heard Rubens did the clever move of bringing his kids to a test at Sebring... The kids thought indycars were way cool and undoubtedly helped overrule the wife :lol: