Random Thoughts... (Motorsports Edition)

they made that car because they were racing, and not doing anything with the experience.
most brands create sportscars, and go racing to show how capable they are...

anyone who watches Formula E?

i love it! :D

the cars are so slow, have so little grip, and the drivers are so opportunistic there are more mistakes than good moves
add the shoddy build quality (suspension breaking when going over curbs etc) and there is hardly any dull moment :D

but fgs, Nick Heidfeld, get your shit togheter! you could've had 3 wins under your belt yet have none...

yesterdayevening i came home, ready to download the WEC race, only to find the torrents haven't been released yet :mad:

but i needed my dose of racing, so started watching a blancpain race...
i remember watching blancpain a few years ago, and it were racing murcielago's, MC12's, Ford GT's, ... big, expensive, spectacular cars!!
what happened? now it's yet another dull GT series with Z4's, 458's, GTR's, MP4-12C, ... :(
that bentley is a joy to watch though!!! what a whale :lol:

and it got me thinking... the ford GT & MC12 are almost dinosaurs by now...but what replaced them?
it's like the manufacters don't make racingversions of their supercars anymore?

I think there was a Ford GT GT3 build by Matech, but I dont know if it ever raced.

GT1 died mainly becuse there were no GT1 teams in ALMS (only 3 in 2008) so Corvette moved to GT2/E. The european scene was healthy enought to muster a 2 year GT1 world championship, but kicking the class out of the 24h Lemans race, killed its sponsorship potential and popularity.

It's a shame it doesn't exist anymore, but becuse of it we have a healthy GTE field in WEC and ALMS with Aston and Corvette coming in full force and giving Porsche and Ferrari a run for their money.

Last edited:
and it got me thinking... the ford GT & MC12 are almost dinosaurs by now...but what replaced them?
it's like the manufacters don't make racingversions of their supercars anymore?

With Ford launching a new GT next year, perhaps they will release a racing version of it, as well.

It's a shame (GT1) doesn't exist anymore, but becuse of it we have a healthy GTE field in WEC and ALMS with Aston and Corvette coming in full force and giving Porsche and Ferrari a run for their money.

And we have Bentley and McLaren and Lamborghini, as well.

Plus all those cars can race in the Pirelli World Challenge in the US, which expands the market.

Last edited:
With Ford launching a new GT next year, perhaps they will release a racing version of it, as well.

And we have Bentley and McLaren and Lamborghini, as well.

Plus all those cars can race in the Pirelli World Challenge in the US, which expands the market.

For the first bit: it's the worst-kept secret in racing. Announcement of a GTE version of the new Ford GT is expected in about a month's time, rumoured to race for the first time at Petit Le Mans this year, definite entrant at Le Mans next year, expected to be run by Ganassi.

Second bit: Bentley, McLaren and Lamborghini do not have GTE cars, and GT3 cars do not race at Le Mans. Although IMSA are turning GTD into a full GT3 class from next year.

why did you mention that GT3/D part? do you think there's a chance GT3 might go to lemans in the future?

No, because it seemed like the previous post had a bit of confusion between GTE and GT3. I cannot see GT3 at Le Mans because of the relationship (or lack of) between the ACO and Stephane Ratel.

anyone who watches Formula E?

i love it! :D

the cars are so slow, have so little grip, and the drivers are so opportunistic there are more mistakes than good moves
add the shoddy build quality (suspension breaking when going over curbs etc) and there is hardly any dull moment :D

but fgs, Nick Heidfeld, get your shit togheter! you could've had 3 wins under your belt yet have none...

Did you see Bruno Senna's crash at Monaco? Wow, wiped out half the cars.

Also I loved the "new" circuit layout for the Formula E race, turning the "escape road" into a straight from Ste Devote to the Harbour chicane was genius.

Last edited:
i found it a bit very short, a laptime of less than a minutes is ridiculous.

also, monaco is one of the highest downforce tracks in the world, did you see their rear wing?
even here it had no angle! why the hell did they bother giving the cars wings? they should've made them as slick as possible, like formula ford

and they should prohibit, if someone crashed his first car, that he can get into his second one and go drive in the way
they don't have the batteries to last the remainder of the race, they're out of sync, get blue flags all the time, and don't make up any positions anyway
you're wrecked the car before a 1/4 has passed, you're out of the race!

Last edited:
anyone watched the indy500?

go montoya!!!!
those 20 last laps were awesome!

an indy question:

on road and streetcourses each drivers has 10 push-to-passes
do they also get those when racing on ovals?

why have i never heard about Boss GP before????
what is it? rich guys that can afford an old F1/Indy/FR car and go racing with it?
anyone that follows it? is it any good?

That's basically it, really. Rich gentlemen racing somewhat contemporary single-seaters. And because it's rich gentlemen racing for their own fun there is next to no media coverage, hence you never hearing about it.

It used to be called EuroBOSS.

Edit: There also is also another historic F1 series for older cars (from sixties to eighties), which used to be called 'Thoroughbred Grand Prix Championship' but these days is just something like FIA Masters Historic or something like that.

Last edited: