Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Just bought a Nikon D3000 with 18-55 lens. I'm quite new to photography though, so no masterpieces from me, yet :lol: Bought it for holidays and other events where I might want to make some nice photo's.

Just remember to practice in between special events so you know what you're doing when the time arises ;)

M is sweet, oh so sweet.

Program Auto and Manual.

Oh, duh :p

Here, I thought "P", in this instance, meant "phuckingduck", so then I was confused by what "M" meant ;)

Did you think that because it was Q who said it? :lol:

Clouds are stupid. There was some awesome clouds tonight and I waited to go out until just over an hour before sunset. Awesome clouds... but they ended up covering the sun right after I got out so no awesome light to go with them :(

edit: and I really hate my camera's LCD. I always shoot RAW so the LCD displays some arbitrarily processed thumbnail jpg and it seems to bump up the brightness a lot so I can't trust it for exposures at all. I can't be arsed to check the histogram most of the time so that doesn't help.

Last edited:
edit: and I really hate my camera's LCD. I always shoot RAW so the LCD displays some arbitrarily processed thumbnail jpg and it seems to bump up the brightness a lot so I can't trust it for exposures at all. I can't be arsed to check the histogram most of the time so that doesn't help.

lolcanon :p

Did you think that because it was Q who said it? :lol:

Clouds are stupid. There was some awesome clouds tonight and I waited to go out until just over an hour before sunset. Awesome clouds... but they ended up covering the sun right after I got out so no awesome light to go with them :(

At least it's half as shitty as what Nikons do: they don't process brightness, but just about everything else when viewying the preview JPG on the camera.

Just remember to practice in between special events so you know what you're doing when the time arises ;)
Yes, obviously :p So far most photos I made are of absolute rubbish. Teacups, magazines, flowers, kitchen equipment and other random stuff. Just to play around with it and see how everything works :p

Kirk Tuck has done a test of the ZD 14-35/2 and 35-100/2 at The Online Photographer

What he said about the 35-100:
While deliberating the good sense of buying a $2600 lens, I was able to use a loaner and test it. What I saw when I shot wide open on a tripod made me open my wallet. Wide open.

Wow... I must concede, 4/3rds is great for enabling super-fast apertures at common focal ranges.

Just admit it, when it comes to optics, you just can't do better than Oly.

Remember when Canon launched the 50D? All over the web, people were in dread; "will our lenses be able to resolve that many pixels? Will we have to stop down much?", etcetera.

In the "lolympus" camp, we got a little confused. Cause we've been dealing with that kind of pixel density since the E-400 arrived back in 2006, and even our kit lenses deals with that. The E-30 and E-620 have the same pixel density as a 7D, and when that was launched, the same choir of "ammagaaad we're going to die [before we get a sharp picture]!!!!" got started.

Err.. I'll take flak on behalf of Olympus for a lot of things, but their Zuiko department is second to none, plenty of people are second to Zuiko.

Impressive photos in that review.

It's Kirk Tuck, he's the embodiment of the classic, natural light event photographer.