Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

Thanks for the tips, I did just that:D. I went to a local media store and played with the D3100, Samsung NX20 and with a Sony SLT-A33. I liked Sony the most and I will go with Sony if I can find a SLT-A37(it has really good reviews) instead of the A33(this is a 2010 model), it appears that most stocks of A37s are out. Samsung remains the 2nd choice because of its nice features and very good picture quality.

Can you find the ALT-37 online? Shops like Amazon and Adorama are often cheaper than retail with free shipping

I searched online, but all stocks were out. Weird, considering that the A33 was still available. Instead, I ordered the SLT-A58, it should arrive tomorrow...can't wait!

Last edited:
Double post:

I got the new camera(and dropped it 3 days later :hammer: - fortunately just some scratches).
Anyway, time for the first lens. I'm undecided between the Sony DT 50mm-f1.8 and DT 35mm-f1.8. Which one would make a better walk-around lens or a better companion to the kit lens(18-55mm)?
I'm planning in using it next month when I will make a trip in Greece. I'm more inclined to go with the 35mm. I dunno if this matters, but later(not in the next 3months) I will also buy Sony's 55-300mm lens(I wanted to buy this one first, but it's twice the price of any of the other two lenses...so it will have to wait).

35mm tends to be a more versatile focal length on crop bodies, I'd go for that.

35mm was out of stock, so I went full retard(I had better uses for the money difference) and bought the 55-300mm. The 35mm might return in stock by the end of the month, so probably I will also buy that lens before the trip in Greece.

full retard is the only way to buy camera gear.

Gorgeous Cayman photos.

As I looked through those I caught myself thinking that the framing and composition is pretty much exactly what I would have done. Yet my photos always look... boring and bland compared to these. I doubt it's completely gear-related so is it the settings I use? RAW vs JPEG? The post-processing? My best bet is the latter so I guess the question is how do photogs learn such fantastic PP skills?

Meh, they're OK, far from the best automotive photography out there, though they get better towards the end. Jalaponik is just blowing their load because their a car blog, not a photography blog (yes, I realize the irony in my statement, but this is *photography* subforum inside of a car forum ;))

From what I can tell, the answers to your question are: location and lighting.

Last edited:
1.) Some nice shots, but many of them I'd call at best average. I should/will provide some compares soon, from the exact same passroad and the general area (because I was there a week ago).
2.) Postprocessing, pretty damn sure.

Picked up a Canon 1.8 50mm for $45 on craigslist the other day. Really loving the way it captures the focal point.

9579447182_94cbf61674_h.jpg