Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

So, I will be traveling to Europe for 2 weeks and I am trying to minimize luggage as much as possible.
I have a Canon 500D, the 18-55mm that came with it, a 50mm/1.8 and a cheap 55-250mm. I also have a flash that I don't think I'll need.
With that said, I am trying to decide what to put in my backpack. The 18-55 is the obvious all-around choice, but I love the 50mm.
Is it a good idea to buy an all-around lens in Denmark (my first stop)? What would you guys recommend?

Oh cool :) Where in DK are you going? As for the cost of lenses here they aren't that bad, but certainly not the cheapest either. You can get a general idea of what the prices are like here: http://www.pricerunner.dk/

Of course your brick and mortar shop in the center of Copenhagen will generally be more expensives than the online shops.

Prices for accomedation and food on the other hand are high compared to most other places, and the service/quality is relatively low, compared to what you are paying.

Last edited:
In terms of price you'd be better off buying virtually anything over here in Germany. For shits and giggles you should visit a Danish car dealership, preferably an expensive brand :jawdrop:

Oh cool :) Where in DK are you going? As for the cost of lenses here they aren't that bad, but certainly not the cheapest either. You can get a general idea of what the prices are like here: http://www.pricerunner.dk/

Of course your brick and mortar shop in the center of Copenhagen will generally be more expensives than the online shops.

Prices for accomedation and food on the other hand are high compared to most other places, and the service/quality is relatively low, compared to what you are paying.

I am going to Copenhagen for three days, I will visit a friend that lives there.
I know DK is not the ideal place, but it is cheaper than here, as far as I know.
Thankfully I will sleep at his place. :lol:

In terms of price you'd be better off buying virtually anything over here in Germany. For shits and giggles you should visit a Danish car dealership, preferably an expensive brand :jawdrop:

I know Germany is cheaper. The aforementioned friend buys all his gear in Germany, but sadly that will be the last country in my trip. :(

Also, I am planning on visiting a Lotus dealership in Copenhagen, just because I've never seen one in person. Should be expensive enough. :lol:

Have the friend buy it in Germany before you arrive? :dunno:

:hmm:

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure buying in Denmark is the best idea. It's a stupidly expensive country.

On my Euro trip, I took my 600D, Tamron 18-270mm and my Sigma 10-20mm (for the aurora photography). I also took my Samsung compact, for when I didn't want the hassle or worry of carrying the DSLR.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the 50mm (I did consider taking mine) even though it's small and light, only because you're probably not really going to want to be bothered changing lenses that often.
Once I'd done with the aurora chasing, the Tamron stayed on the camera for the rest of the trip and did everything I wanted. I found it a little slow to autofocus, but leaving it in manual mode made that a moot point anyway.
I also have the twin kit lenses, but haven't touched them since getting the Tamron. Definitely would recommend it for travel.

Review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDycjHWnCYo

Buying a 18-270mm or something similar is not a bad idea.
Thanks for the input.

Also, I am planning on visiting a Lotus dealership in Copenhagen, just because I've never seen one in person. Should be expensive enough. :lol:

Just so you guess don't get confused, the Lotus dealer in Copenhagen has moved location slightly, apparently due to the former dealer doing some shady stuff (MLA Gruppen).

The current dealer is:

Semler Retail K?benhavn A/S
Banevingen 6
2200 K?benhavn N

They mainly sell Porsche, but last time I drove by it looked like they had a handfull of Lotuses on the second floor.

Just so you guess don't get confused, the Lotus dealer in Copenhagen has moved location slightly, apparently due to the former dealer doing some shady stuff (MLA Gruppen).

The current dealer is:

Semler Retail K?benhavn A/S
Banevingen 6
2200 K?benhavn N

They mainly sell Porsche, but last time I drove by it looked like they had a handfull of Lotuses on the second floor.

Thank you.
That was the address I had, per Lotus website. Now I know why street view only showed Porsches. :lol:

Yeah, I promised myself the A7s once I payoff my credit card. Maybe the price will come down quite a lot by then. I think even now, there's been $200 (give or take) deals on 'em.

I just recently started messing around with Capture One Pro 7. To keep it brief......OMFFFFFG! There's gotta be some kind of voodoo going on...I can't believe how much the quality over Lightroom. Mainly the rich tones and just makes the image pop. I've spent hours and hours trying to replicate "straight out of the box" what I get on C1 onto LR. Just can't get it.

Also, I normally don't use the "auto" function on LR, but, man, on C1, it get's the image 90%+ of how I like it. Then, just some minor tweaks.

Vivian Maier (wiki)

Wiki said:
Vivian Dorothea Maier (February 1, 1926 ? April 21, 2009) was an American street photographer, who was born in New York City and spent much of her childhood in France.

After returning to the United States, she worked for approximately forty years as a nanny in Chicago, Illinois. During those years, she took more than 150,000 photographs, primarily of people and architecture of New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, although she traveled and photographed worldwide.

This documentary was shown last night on BBC Four.

Vivian Maier: Who Took Nanny's Pictures? - BBC iPlayer

BBC iPlayer said:
Duration: 1 hour, 10 minutes

The incredible story of a mysterious nanny who died in 2009 leaving behind a secret hoard - thousands of stunning photographs. Never seen in her lifetime, they were found by chance in a Chicago storage locker and auctioned off cheaply.

Now Vivian Maier has gone viral and her magical pictures sell for thousands of dollars. Vivian was a tough street photographer, a secret poet of suburbia. In life she was a recluse, a hoarder, spinning tall tales about her French roots. Presented by Alan Yentob, the film includes stories from those who knew her and those who revealed her astonishing work.

A 50 minute version was also released last year in the US, called the Vivan Maier Mystery. (IMDB)

:cool:

My girlfriend got tired of lugging around her Canon 600D + 24mm f/1.4 L lens, so yesterday she got a Panasonic LX100 as a run around camera!

This thing is pretty awesome, much smaller than I thought it would be and the lens quality seems extremely high.
Focus is pretty much instant, and this things just flies with the GH4's processing power.

Not cheap, but definitely worth its price in my opinion.

I guess it was time to upgrade from the kit lens anyway...
mFq1qbJ.jpg

What did she think of 24mm f/1.4L on 600D? I am strongly considering these lens.

She still has it! Hers is the mk.II version by the way.

She loves it, apart from the weight (heavier than the camera), it's sharp, and quick and accurate to focus.
While quite wide, there's a good amount of bokeh, and it looks very nice.

Here are some shots she got with it:

If you don't mind the wait, and you usually don't shoot very wide, it's a nice lens :)

I'm kinda in the market for a compact camera (size below bridge) which I can take with me when the D700 and all its glass is just too much to lug around. However, very high image quality is a must, so most compacts don't do a well enough job. After some research I ended up wanting the APS-C Sony Alpha 6000 (NEX 7 successor). Not a big fan of Sony, but I don't see any other compact that has such a superb image quality, speed and usability. The bundled compact 16-50mm retractable zoom seems to be just acceptable, but it will be good for compact travelling. Throw in a few of the very cheap and yet very good small Sigma primes, and there's the perfect tiny travel package for surprisingly little money. Any love?

EDIT: I want to add that I was considering the fixed (zoom) lens CyberShot DSC-RX100 MkIII first, which is one of the best compacts on the market. However, a mirrorless system cam like the Alpha 6000 takes substantially better pictures even when paired with the average kit zoom. Additionally, the Alpha 6000 including the zoom is cheaper than the RX 100. So basically I get a similar sized package with better image quality and handling for less money, and still have the option to slap on better glass for really good images. They say that the Alpha 6000 actually is too cheap for what it can do, and I tend to believe that.

Last edited:
I played around with an Alpha 6000 with the kit zoom (right side) in a shop today. A nice camera, fits nicely into my hand. It is bigger than I thought though, even with the collapsible kit zoom lens it will only fit into the biggest of pockets. Only with the 20mm pancake, you can call it pocketable. The RX-100 Mk3 is much smaller overall (left side) and thus much more practical. Nonetheless, the Alpha 6000 takes much better pictures (especially at higher ISOs) and is cheaper than the RX-100. Also, the fact that you can change lenses on the 6000 makes it bulkier, but lets you put on all the glass you want. What to do, what to do...

Sony%2520RX-100%2520Mk3%2520vs.%2520Alpha%25206000.jpg