Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park
Yeah, one of my first cameras was Canon Powershot S3 IS which could really only be set to ISO400 or lower. Any higher and you had so much noise, it was like an analog TV station poorly tuned in.

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Skoda Octavia & Fabia
I have an old d50 I have just laying in a box. Still worked last time I checked. I could lend it to you if you want. Only trouble is one of my lenses died, and now I only have a 18-200 and a 50mm prime.

I guess I could live without the prime for a month or two. Actually, I haven't even tuched my camera in over a month, so I wouldn't probably miss most of my gear :D

@Matt2000 I concur on the D7000, excellent :-D

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
I have an old d50 I have just laying in a box. Still worked last time I checked. I could lend it to you if you want. Only trouble is one of my lenses died, and now I only have a 18-200 and a 50mm prime.

I guess I could live without the prime for a month or two. Actually, I haven't even tuched my camera in over a month, so I wouldn't probably miss most of my gear :D

@Matt2000 I concur on the D7000, excellent :-D
A 50mm prime is a FANTASTIC lens as a starting point because you can focus (heh) on other things instead of wanking the focal length and gives you a wider range of aperture to play and see what happens when you do.

Tram13

I have an old d50 I have just laying in a box. Still worked last time I checked. I could lend it to you if you want.
That'd be great! Also, I believe a month or two would be enough time to get the hang of it and if you could lend me the 50mm prime as well, that'd be awesome.

That being said, my dad has an old Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 compact camera that has manual controls, as well as an 18mm conversion lens kit. I assume I could get the hang of basics of manual controls on that one first. However, as I am still curious about the world of DSLRs, some sort of learning tool for that field would be greatly appreciated.

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
DONOR
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
Thank you @Tram13 for sparking an idea to fix my camera.

Aperture adjustment got stuck years ago and at that time I didn't find any hobbyist who had dug in to the problem (even if it was somewhat common one). Only solutions at the time were just new part, which was too expensive to be sensible. In the end it's a very simple fix and much more help was on hand now, so on to disassembly!

One feels screwed owning this thing. 26 screws to get to this point.

One more screw to get the adjustment setup on hand. Delightfully simple setup of open coils and a magnet you can just pull out.

All it needed was a bit of filing from corners of the magnet. And a bit of WD40 just in case. And success, I have a working camera again!

Last edited:

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
DONOR
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
Photos aren't showing up there...
I is surprise. Google photos has become rather difficult. Especially with anything that's uploaded from phones. I link something, it usually works for some hours and then becomes unavailable to some (sometimes including me even). Then I'll just paste the same link again and things work. Granted, even getting those pictures to appear in albums is a hassle at the moment, these might be related... :mrgreen:

IceBone

Blue Wheel Hipster
Car(s)
Audi A5 Quattro
Speaking of Nikon D7000, anyone want mine + Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8? 18k activations, absolutely mint (👌) condition.

Redliner

Y'all got any lamps?
Car(s)
I don't drive, I fly.
Thank you @Tram13 for sparking an idea to fix my camera.

Aperture adjustment got stuck years ago and at that time I didn't find any hobbyist who had dug in to the problem (even if it was somewhat common one). Only solutions at the time were just new part, which was too expensive to be sensible. In the end it's a very simple fix and much more help was on hand now, so on to disassembly!

One feels screwed owning this thing. 26 screws to get to this point.

One more screw to get the adjustment setup on hand. Delightfully simple setup of open coils and a magnet you can just pull out.

All it needed was a bit of filing from corners of the magnet. And a bit of WD40 just in case. And success, I have a working camera again!
Glad to hear it's back in business!