Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

What does "eye level pentapryzm/myrrore" mean, anyways? When you raise it at your eye it's at eye level :O But seriously, is it just the shape and that some cameras reflect the light lower/higher than where (at least most) of the prism/mirror is? Is there any advantages either way?

Penaprism = mirror box that is expensive, heavy, bright
Pentamirror = mirror box that is cheaper, weighs less, not as bright

Eye level ... erm, not quite sure.

Last edited:
*cough* I wasn't asking about myrrrrz and pryzmz, I was asking about the "eye level" bit. I imagine it has something to do with the shape... taking a guess, I think eye level means the final side the light reflects off is perfectly perpendicular to the viewfinder rather than being angled up or down slightly. If that's the case, the advantage is obvious.

edit: or to restate my thought more clearerer, methinks that eye level viewfinder may mean that the light exiting the viewfinder is perfectly perpendicular to the viewfinder rather than angling up or down slightly

Last edited:
Sounds like Canadian insurance companies are nice and generous.

What does "eye level pentapryzm/myrrore" mean, anyways? When you raise it at your eye it's at eye level :O But seriously, is it just the shape and that some cameras reflect the light lower/higher than where (at least most) of the prism/mirror is? Is there any advantages either way?

Some cameras have interchangeable finders, like MF cameras for example. The most common for MF is a waist level finder. Of course you can swap it for an eye level finder (pentaprism).

It isn't just traditional MF systems though...

parts02.jpg

body08.jpg

...even 35mm...

00RjC9-95791584.jpg

...for example.

Pretty much every DSLR has an eye level finder. Rangefinders don't, of course, and some digital cameras only have an LCD but can fit an eye level finder that's a mini hi-res LCD that displays the same info, just at eye level.

What was the context? That might help.

Last edited:
Thanks Hans. Just sometimes on dSLR specs they list "eye level pentaprism" instead of just "pentaprism" Guess it's nothing really, just some people being technically correct and everyone else not bothering since it's obvious what type of a viewfinder it is. :shrug:

Gracias. I just wish we had arrived earlier. Some of the people I was with sucked at waking up in time for the driving before sunrise. Really perturbed me
Can't say I'm sure I wouldn't have been one of those people :/

I'm more of a night owl myself ;)

Gracias. I just wish we had arrived earlier. Some of the people I was with sucked at waking up in time for the driving before sunrise. Really perturbed me :mad:

I don't think you need any masking on that shot, they both look good to me, just a little tweaking would be enough in my opinion.

Thanks Hans. Just sometimes on dSLR specs they list "eye level pentaprism" instead of just "pentaprism" Guess it's nothing really, just some people being technically correct and everyone else not bothering since it's obvious what type of a viewfinder it is. :shrug:

Strange, I guess what they're emphasizing is the fact that it's a pentaprism finder, as opposed to a LCD finder. If some manufacturers call their LCD finder just "eye level finder", they may want to make it clear that another model has a pentaprism and so they name it "eye level pentaprism".

I've never heard of a pentaprism finder that wasn't eye level, so they could just call it pentaprism, like you say. :?

Last edited:
roller2.jpg

Dirk Auer, a man who's skated down a roller coaster. :D

i finally made a Flickr account. link is in my sig :)

edit: also i've got a question, is there anybody here who uses a flickr pro account? can you tell me if a pro account is automatically extended when the year is over?

Nevermind, found the answer. The answer is no.

Last edited:
^ Ah, so it's repetitively redundant ;)

Yeah pretty much. I think folks trying to be tricky and not mention that a finder is LCD so they just call it "eye-level finder", but then realising that they want to make it clear when it's a pentaprism so it somehow became "eye-level pentaprism" because they'd used "finder" for the LCD finder. Does that make sense? :?

And why the hell is a Canon extension tube, which is basically a tube of plastic, more expensive than a Canon 50mm f1.8 II, which is a tube of plastic with glass and a motor in it?! :mad:

Accessories like filters, extension tubes and lens caps are way overpriced.

Last edited:
^ The poor saps who actually buy that junk :lol:

Accessories like filters, extension tubes and lens caps are way overpriced.
Absolutely. A battery for D40 in Canada costs almost $100!

Some days ago we were chatting about long, fast lenses.

Well. Today, Olympus Norway will send me a Digital Zuiko 300mm f/2.8 and an EC-20. I'll be writing an article about WHAT THE HELL you may do with a 1200/5.6..

;)

Keep us update about the article!