Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

I will.. :)

Some days ago we were chatting about long, fast lenses.

Well. Today, Olympus Norway will send me a Digital Zuiko 300mm f/2.8 and an EC-20. I'll be writing an article about WHAT THE HELL you may do with a 1200/5.6..

;)
Sounds interesting, the 300/2,8 is the only ZD Top Pro lens I haven't tried. They say it's super sharp.

PA269750m1024.jpg

On the other hand, I'm extremely jaleous...

Last edited:
I can understand you. :)

well no where near the equipment you have in hand there.. but got to try EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS and EF 100mm 2.8 Macro today..

Don't know if it's a repost, but; Even Hitler thinks the Nikon D3x is too expensive...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwf2RShNV0[/YOUTUBE]

there there...
I heard he only shoots JPG
:rofl:

I haven't seen that before. Good find.

Bwahahahaha. I always love those Hitler videos, but that one is fan-fucking-tastic!

Who wants to email Senor Rockwell and tell him Hitler is a fan?

Something I noticed: since I've fone from crop to full frame, it is obvious that the depth of field has become much more shallow (not that I didn't know this before, I just didn't think it were this extreme). That said, I've begun to doubt the reasonability of wide-open shooting. Of course, a wide-open lens will give me a great DOF effect, but if I don't want that effect, I'm still stuck with it especially in close-up shots. Therefore, I've begun to question the need for low-light-wide-aperture-lenses for my camera.

Thoughts?

Be less close to things. That'll show Mr. Shallowdepthoffield. That'll show him.

Something I noticed: since I've fone from crop to full frame, it is obvious that the depth of field has become much more shallow (not that I didn't know this before, I just didn't think it were this extreme). That said, I've begun to doubt the reasonability of wide-open shooting. Of course, a wide-open lens will give me a great DOF effect, but if I don't want that effect, I'm still stuck with it especially in close-up shots. Therefore, I've begun to question the need for low-light-wide-aperture-lenses for my camera.

Thoughts?

For the photos you don't want a shallow DOF in, just take some steps back and crop the center. Bam! APS-C/H sensor. :p

Uhm, I'm looking at getting a new tripod (the one I have is 7 years old and kinda crap).
There was a small shop that had a guy from manfrotto there yesterday so I had a talk with him and saw some of the things they had. I mostly liked the 190XPROB, I looked at the bigger one and that was too big for me, and too heavy, there was also some about the same size with a fixed head (7301YB/7302YB) but I liked the tilting-center-column thingy of the 190 :think:
And then there is the question about heads, that makes me even more confused :?
Then there is all the other brands, my bf has a velbon ultra maxi i I think it is called and he of course thinks that is the best in the world and thinks I should just get that one too, and I can see some logic in it, it's small when it's all folded together, the legs have a funny twisting locking thing so you only have to undo it once for each leg, and it's light.

So I'm confused, any of you got any suggestions (to confuse me more :p) or something?

I mostly liked the 190XPROB, I looked at the bigger one and that was too big for me, and too heavy, there was also some about the same size with a fixed head (7301YB/7302YB) but I liked the tilting-center-column thingy of the 190
The 190XProB is probably the best deal in tripods right now. Reasonable price, reasonable weight, reasonable sturdiness. I have one with the 486RC2 ball-head. Get the carbon fiber version if you can afford it.

The 190XProB is probably the best deal in tripods right now. Reasonable price, reasonable weight, reasonable sturdiness. I have one with the 486RC2 ball-head. Get the carbon fiber version if you can afford it.
Uhm, I'm looking at getting a new tripod (the one I have is 7 years old and kinda crap).
There was a small shop that had a guy from manfrotto there yesterday so I had a talk with him and saw some of the things they had. I mostly liked the 190XPROB, I looked at the bigger one and that was too big for me, and too heavy, there was also some about the same size with a fixed head (7301YB/7302YB) but I liked the tilting-center-column thingy of the 190 :think:
And then there is the question about heads, that makes me even more confused :?
Then there is all the other brands, my bf has a velbon ultra maxi i I think it is called and he of course thinks that is the best in the world and thinks I should just get that one too, and I can see some logic in it, it's small when it's all folded together, the legs have a funny twisting locking thing so you only have to undo it once for each leg, and it's light.

So I'm confused, any of you got any suggestions (to confuse me more :p) or something?

The 190x is what I've been looking at. Looks like a fun tri pod especially the center column thingy, but I've just been spending money on other things :?

Thoughts?

Stop down! :p

It's always better to have the more flexible lens. If you decided to go all f5.6 you'd inevitably have a shot where you want shallow DOF and you'll have a DOH! moment.

The 190x is what I've been looking at. Looks like a fun tri pod especially the center column thingy, but I've just been spending money on other things
You mean, like, getting nails removed from your feet, right? :p

Couple of random thoughts:

1. Annie's in trouble. What the heck do you blow 24 big ones on?! :blink:

2. Anyone up for having a "Dispel Rockwell" thread where we follow his updates and dispel myths as he posts them? :p

Couple of random thoughts:

1. Annie's in trouble. What the heck do you blow 24 big ones on?! :blink:

2. Anyone up for having a "Dispel Rockwell" thread where we follow his updates and dispel myths as he posts them? :p

1-Well, I read an article about it and they claim most of it was on apartments and bad investiments.
2-Sure, why not? :lol:

Ren Kockwell.