Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

im very close to buying tamron 90mm f2.8 macro, not as good deal as the previous ones but 250? for a lens which is about 420? new it doesnt sound too bad.

^ I have that one, really like it, only problem I have is when I put on my macro flashes it has trouble with autofocus, but they are pretty heavy :lol: and I usually use manual focus.

and that got away also.. someone paid more than i was ready to pay

I previously used HiTech 85mm filters in my Cokin P Series filter holder and although it was very tight they did fit. The one you've chosen is 76.2mm and after doing a bit of Googling, the P series is designed for filters 84mm wide.

So, I was wondering if anyone here bothers with the hyperfocal distance method for landscape work? I have to say that I'm sure this particular method can give absolutely superb results but it just seems like so much hassle. It also doesn't help that you have to fairly precisely judge the distance of certain objects within your frame to work all of this out, which again I can see as a problem :p.

i usually use it when im shooting with my m42 lenses.. they do have distance meters, unlike my EF-S 17-55.

Say... where is phuckingduck? I haven't seen a post from him for ages. It says his last activity was on the 10th, but he hasn't posted since last November. I miss his awesometastic photos :(

EDIT: just had a thought: a heavy ND filter would be a pain to use a heavy ND filter in a square format on a slider -- lots of light can seep in around the edges. I think I'll just buy a standard 77mm size and a step-up filter.

Last edited:
how much would you pay for canon 1ds (the basic non mark model)

mmm, feels good to actually get out to go shooting instead of just taking my camera on walks with my dog (though I still brought my dog along, now I'm gonna have to clean my car seats off, thanks a lot Mr. Dirty-feet-Barkly - my fault though, I should have brought a towel or two, oops). We had - and still have, though the sun's out now and it's starting to go away now - some awesome hoar frost today so I had to get out and get as many shots as possible. Can't be bothered to download the pictures off my card at the moment though :p

^ Did you just take over my brain?

I just got back from shooting myself, though I took my dog and I biked out of town :D I'm so sick of walking for hours and getting nothing; it's totally worth the cold and effort to take the bike.

Lots of hoarfrost here, too, and sundogs! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
I almost went and bought a sheet of welding glass today. I just wonder how bad the green cast is and if it's even correctable. Maybe I should just forget about it, break down and spend ~$100 on a 77mm B+W ND 3.0 plus a step-up ring.

Last edited:
The cast is pretty bad but with the magic of camera raw this can be corrected for the better. 77mm is a good size to get, it would fit all of my lenses unlike my 67mm cpl which current fits....none :wall:.

This is too hard..

So lets ask you guys...

Post your favourites

a) Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX APO HSM DG
b) Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 USM L
c) Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS

a) Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro
b) Sigma AF 105mm f/2.8 EX macro DG
c) Tamron AF 90mm f/2.8 Di SP macro

Then extra question..

3)
a) Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II
b) Tamron 20-40mm f2.7-3.5 AF

I'd go for the Canon 70-200/4L, the Sigma 105 and a Sigma 18-50/3.5-5.6 (if you just HAVE to exchange your kit lens).

:)