Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

^ Ooh, me too, me too. I would like an answer please :D

I've started working on a shopping cart system for my website and am trying to figure out whether it's worth the effort.

I would think SmugMug or the like would be the best way. I'm having little luck selling my prints in shows :(

How does an EOS 30v compare to an EOS 1? (not the n or v models). I think if i were to look at the pro bodies seriously, the eos3 is better then an eos 1/1n.

I'll ask a slightly different question. Is there anything i should be wearing of when buying a used EOS 30v?

You can't deny that there is a difference, but I can't deny that the difference is pretty much negligable.

Is it just me that notices the DVD cover is sharper in the image on the left, the EF lens?

I'll ask a slightly different question. Is there anything i should be wearing of when buying a used EOS 30v?

I did a bit of reading before I bought my EOS3 and by most accounts it seemed to be the body of choice. Don't use it much any more but it's a nice camera. Chews through batteries though. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

Is it just me that notices the DVD cover is sharper in the image on the left, the EF lens?
It is, but I think that's because the EF-s is wide open in that picture, which introduces some softness.

We've managed to prove that an EF-S 18-55 @ 55mm is less sharp than a 50mm prime lens.

In scientific exploration, that equals discovering Sweden.

:tease:

Well, I've just had a pretty massive selling spree and will soon have to make some tough choices. I'm currently without a digital camera body while I'm thinking about what I should do next. I've been pruning my lenses and in a few days time should be down to my Nikon 70-200, 60mm Macro and 17-35 (I may sell the 17-35 too).

The way I see it, I have 3 choices. I'm sticking with Nikon because I still have some nice lenses and I know the ergonomics far too well. The first choice is to look for a second hand D300, the upshot of this is that I will be able to get this pretty cheaply, and having the cropped sensor gives me more reach, length, field of view or whatever you want to call it. I feel that the D300 is both cheaper and better for longer lenses. Option 2 is to try to see whether I can get myself a D700 somehow, this is a far more expensive option and won't be so good with longer lenses BUT the ISO performance is fantastic and it would also give me a beneficial field of view when doing any landscape work (with my current wide-angle). The move to full frame is almost certain for me, the only difference is that if I buy the D300 now, I'd be keeping it as a secondary body later, so then I'd have the advantages of both systems at a later date. The thing is, I've seen a lot of people do that and only go on to sell the DX camera later.

Option 3 is the weird option. I've been using a medium format film body for the past few weeks and have had great fun using it. They're clunky and silly but I've had more fun shooting with it than I have with my DSLR in years. Image quality with the primes available is fantastic but of course I'd have to take into consideration film costs, developing costs, getting a scanner and generally being pompous to everyone because I'd be "hip" and "cool".

Seeing as I've contradicted myself throughout this post I'll leave it to everyone here to work out what I should do. As you don't know me it's entirely the logical course of action :p.

If I could afford it, I'd take Option 2 because I'm too lazy to work with film :p

Honestly, if I had a D700, I can't imagine needing any other body until it died. I mean, what could you possibly need that the D700 doesn't already have?

Well, the only downside to the D700 is that my telephoto lens (any any future longer lenses) won't "go" nearly so far. I sort of like to think of DX as a 1.5* teleconverter with no loss of quality :p.

If you don't mind lower resolution, then that's fine and dandy, yeah.

I would though want Nikon to produce a DX camera with 6mp. Like the D40. It will give the same pixel density as a D700. That would be exciting, wouldn't it? :)

I was refering to the resolution as with the D40, didn't say it would have to be without a focus screw and made from tuppaware. :p

Sorry I wasn't clearer. :)

^ I was referring to the post above yours, which makes your latest response irrelevant ;) As a matter of fact, I agree with you. A body that uses what is basically a D700 sensor cut down to DX size would be: :drool:

...and, for the record, the D40 is quite well made... not just for an entry-level body, it's just well made, period.

Last edited:
I know, but it's no D300 (or E-3, living with the E-3 spoils you, a lot, I think a 5D feels like its made out of card board :lol:).

I think a 5D feels like its made out of card board
Really? The only Canons I've ever thought felt flimsy are the Rebels. Holding an XXD or XD series model feels like holding a brick...and I mean that in both good and bad ways.

Last edited:
Oh, I know, it's just that the 5D feels so light and.. err.. it feels like there's a lot of empty space in it.

:p