Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

They'd pay me for the amount I insured it. ie.: my D40 + 18-55 kit cost me $500. It's stolen three years after I bought it, insurance pays me $500 towards a new camera.

Each policy is different, so yours would be new for old replacement, or possibly agreed value.

But isn't your stuff only covered when under the roof of your house if it's part of your home and contents insurance?

I'm not completely opposed to travel insurance.

But isn't your stuff only covered when under the roof of your house if it's part of your home and contents insurance?

Nope. I've had things stolen from my workplace that were covered by my homeowner's insurance, and they would have been covered anywhere. Value insured is replacement value, so if, say, my old D50 was stolen it would be replaced with a D90.

Our homeowner?s insurance only covers things when inside the house.

^ Then you go to jail for insurance fraud :lol:

If it's stolen, they probably require a police report. If it's lost... well, I'm not sure.

What if I insure my equipment and then just pretend that I lost it? I wouldn't do that, of course, but I feel like they have to guard against that somehow.

^ Then you go to jail for insurance fraud :lol:

If it's stolen, they probably require a police report. If it's lost... well, I'm not sure.

Exactly, you need a police report.
If you lost it, why should they cover it? Insurance is for accidents, qualified theft and robbery.

If you lost it, why should they cover it?
Because they're nice people? All I know is that my insurance does cover it.

Also, your comment sounds awfully American for a Brazilian :lol:

like I said early, AFAIK at least, insurance companies consider "I accidentally left it on the table of the patio outside a cafe and when I went back it was gone" as loss and not theft. It was still stolen, it's just semantics. All your fault? Possibly, but if you left it on your car seat in some neighbourhoods it would disappear pretty quickly too. Is that your fault? Possibly. Meh, just depends on the insurance company and if you have a bad record or not.

Well that's the thing, it was mentioned previously that some insurance policies (such as epp_b's) cover loss. Even with theft, I don't think its terribly hard to make up some bogus story for the police report - I'm pretty sure cops don't look into petty theft too closely. It just seems strange to me that insurance companies would leave what appears to be a loophole for fraud.

Last edited:
Because they're nice people? All I know is that my insurance does cover it.

Also, your comment sounds awfully American for a Brazilian :lol:

:lol:

To be honest, I don?t think it should cover it. You are supposed to be careful when using expensive equipment and leaving it unattended is carelessness, IMHO.

like I said early, AFAIK at least, insurance companies consider "I accidentally left it on the table of the patio outside a cafe and when I went back it was gone" as loss and not theft. It was still stolen, it's just semantics. All your fault? Possibly, but if you left it on your car seat in some neighbourhoods it would disappear pretty quickly too. Is that your fault? Possibly. Meh, just depends on the insurance company and if you have a bad record or not.

Well, the companies here have a specific clause stating that the equipment is NOT covered when left in a parked car. That sucks.<_<

To be honest, I don?t think it should cover it. You are supposed to be careful when using expensive equipment and leaving it unattended is carelessness, IMHO.
Sure, you should be careful. But, who knows, maybe you're dealing with a lot of stress or something (or having three instances of general anesthetic in one year, for example :p) that makes you forgetful.

Well the Vulcan is big so you shouldn't need that long of a lens...what brand do you shoot?

I'm off to see the Vulcan at the weekend, what would be the best lens to use? (I plan rent one)

flying or on the ground, what do you have already, et cetera.

I'm not sure how a vulcan sizes up to a lancaster, but 432mm equivalent wasn't quite enough for the lancaster flying and it dwarfed all the 737s and A320s at the airport. You want as wide as possible for static shots if it's going to be on display.

I'm not sure how a vulcan sizes up to a lancaster,

They appear to have about the same wingspan of the Lancaster but the Vulcan is about 30 feet longer. The Vulcan is pretty much equal in its wingspan and length.

I want one where there's one button, but it's the ISO button! :p

I think it would be better to have an ISO dial or wheel, but then we would have twice as many buttons, and that is too many! Madness!:lol: