Random Thoughts... [Photographic Edition]

For the future, I want to save up for an L lens, and I'm wondering what a good first L lens is. Already have a nifty fifty (f/1.4 USM), so I feel like it would be worthless to get 2 of the same focal length.

On the wide end, I'm considering the 35 f/2L, and the 8-15 f/4L fisheye. On the telephoto end I'm considering the 135 f/2L and the 70-200 f/4L IS.

I agree with others on the flash, it's a fantastic investment. I'm thinking about selling my 430 EX for a 430 EX II now that I'm doing more "studio" work.
On your first L lens, I lived for a couple of years with just a 50mm prime like you do (on my Rebel 350D). My first expensive lens purchase after the nifty fifty was an EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS. Technically not an L lens, but L image quality by all accounts (and L pricing unfortunately). And you can't beat that focal length range on a crop body. Never regretted it and it's still the default lens that sits on my 7D.

After that, I'd take my pick between a 10-22mm (also an EF-S) or a 70-200mm L (whichever version fits your budget) . Both can be very useful focal length ranges depending on your shooting preference.

Last edited:
Sounds pretty familiar. I upgraded my 18-55 non-IS kit lens to EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM too, and I've never regretted it. Yeah, it's a bit heavy so I have 35/2 for long walks, but other than that the 17-55 is almost glued to my 40D. Focal range is spot on, 2.8 is great to have and at F4 it's sharp as a knife. Only thing that separates it from L is the bit plasticky construction and lack of weather proofing. But even with plastic feel it seems to be really well made. Mine is three years old now and shows no signs of wear. I do take a good care of it, but I never leave camera home because I'm worried about it.

For longer focal lengths I bought 70-200/4L IS. I don't use it as much as I should, but every time I look the pictures I'm astonished by it's quality. Maybe 90% of the pictures I've taken with it are aperture wide open, because at already at F4 it's just incredibly sharp.

Really starting to miss photography now...I haven't photographed anything for about 2 months now with the univeristy and exams and all the shit and I can't wait for it to be over and get out there again.

Not exactly new, but I've only just come across it. Interesting short piece on public photography and the law (in the UK).

Just got a Canon 600D for review. Damn, Canons are completely different compared to Nikons or Sonies. I have to learn anything from scratch.

Eh... the theory is all the same, it's just a matter of spending some time for the controls to become natural to you.

...and, if you're using Canon, for it to feel natural holding a square brick

:p

The controls are the topic I'm talking about.
In Sonies or Nikons it's perfectly simple - P/A/S/M = Program/Aperture P/Shutter P/Manual. Even Olympus has got it right. But what in the name of all that's holy is the M/Av/Tv that's on Canon?
The whole body is shaped in Minecraft, not 3Ds or other designing software. And it's too plastic and cheap.

Everything is sort of there, with no sense at all.

as in aperture value and time value.. makes sense to me.

Can this flash compete with the Canon? The price difference makes me consider this, I guess unless i'm shooting video this useless?

Yeah the Jessops one will be mostly fine. It probably won't be able to talk to the camera as much, but that just means you might have to switch it to manual mode. The main thing I find with getting the scene lit decently is the ability to point the flashgun where you want. Maybe take your camera in and ask to compare them?

How weird is it that I've had my camera for 4-5 years and I'm literally only just starting to actually look at what the light meter is saying. As in I know what settings to use because I learnt by trial and error over the years...

How weird is it that I've had my camera for 4-5 years and I'm literally only just starting to actually look at what the light meter is saying. As in I know what settings to use because I learnt by trial and error over the years...

Have you started fiddling with selectable individual AF pts or matrix vs center weighted vs spot metering, yet?

A fixed focal length definitely is a helpful tool to get someone deeper into photography, because said person has to learn to think about and execute more things by himself instead of just turning a zoom ring. Also, the option of a much more shallow depth of field opens a new world that's very hard to conquer with a zoom lens. The only potential problem I see is that the first steps are so frustrating that he gives up.

I've been thinking about giving my sister the very same lens for her D40, and while I'm sure she would understand the difference in handling and be able to transform the new possibilities into viable results, she would soon return to her kit zoom with a simple explanation: a fixed focal length brings her to a level of photography she simply doesn't intend to reach because she only uses the camera very rarely.

I think the thing that took me a few years to grasp is the difference of using a fixed FL prime to compose a shot by moving back n forth vs using a zoom while standing in the same place, is that despite capturing things in the same field of view, your image will look different at different focal lengths. Meaning a shot made at 24mm will look dramatically wider and more distorted than a 50mm at the same FOV. This really hit me when shooting for portraits and other living subjects.

I think the thing that took me a few years to grasp is the difference of using a fixed FL prime to compose a shot by moving back n forth vs using a zoom while standing in the same place, is that despite capturing things in the same field of view, your image will look different at different focal lengths. Meaning a shot made at 24mm will look dramatically wider and more distorted than a 50mm at the same FOV. This really hit me when shooting for portraits and other living subjects.
Yeah, that took me a lot of time as well. I did read about this as a fact, but understanding the impact on composure and how to use it to my advantage took really long.

I just pre-ordered an Olympus OM-D today, E-M5 and 12-50 kit, with a black kit lens: :w00t:

allroundview.jpg

Looking forward to whenever it arrives. Should be great to use with my OM Zuiko lenses: 35/2, 50/1,4, and 135/2,8, As well as the Pana 20/1,7 and Samyang 7,5/3,5 Fisheye...