Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/11/12/health/main7048210.shtml

San Francisco has officially gone insane. Circumcision is healthier, cleaner, and you know what? I am going to go ahead and say it: banning it is anti Semitic. There, I used those nutters tactics on them.

Bullshit.

That's all I have to say.

I've read dozens of studies about circumcision and there is almost no statistical evidence to support this assertion. Proponents of circumcision (an optional surgery that brings in billions of dollars a year) have said that it is everything from a cure for masturbation (which causes low intelligence and weakness of character) to reducing the spread of HIV. The most recent one is HIV and is based on a study that was cut short because they got the results they wanted after just a few weeks. Studies that have actually run their longitudinal course show there is no difference in HIV infection rates.

Circumcision is bullshit.

You must be uncircumcised.

What irks me is that the residents there would have no choice in whether their child is circumcised or not. For Jewish people it is a literal commandment from God to be so, so this law infringes on people of Jewish faith to practice their religion and religious practices freely.

*EDIT* I really doubt that a law like this will pass. It will get the necessary signatures, because in a city that large, you could find 7100 people who believe Elvis was abducted by aliens; the crux of the matter is that a city is actually considering this as law, as in a law whereas the person who committed this crime could face jail time and fines.

Last edited:
This is the same city that banned Happy Meals; what makes you think they aren't going to jump at any chance to demonstrate their condescending, arrogant "we know what's best for you" mentality?

What irks me is that the residents there would have no choice in whether their child is circumcised or not. For Jewish people it is a literal commandment from God to be so, so this law infringes on people of Jewish faith to practice their religion and religious practices freely.

*EDIT* I really doubt that a law like this will pass. It will get the necessary signatures, because in a city that large, you could find 7100 people who believe Elvis was abducted by aliens; the crux of the matter is that a city is actually considering this as law, as in a law whereas the person who committed this crime could face jail time and fines.

Well the parents don't have much choice whether or not to chop off most of the other bits of their child's body either, so...
I don't have a particularly strong opinion on this, but I think that such a non-essential surgery can very well wait til adulthood, when the person is responsible for his own actions. Even more so when the only reason for it should be that the god thinks it's a good idea.
On the other hand I never felt that this would be the kind of area that was badly in need of regulation...

BZZZZT!

You guessed wrong.

Here's a rare bit of personal information about me. I was circumcised as a baby, but the doctor only took off a small amount of foreskin because any more is unnecessary. Later, as a child of about 2 (I think), a pediatrician and circumcision prophet, decided that the previous procedure wasn't radical enough and bullied my parents into letting him perform a more radical procedure that took off, not only the remaining foreskin, but a good amount of skin from the shaft as well. I have double overlapping scars as a result, including several areas where the skin scarred in malformed ways, leaving pockets of skin that, in one place, actually go through the skin (like a tunnel). These formations are common with circumcisions that are radical in the amount of skin they remove, or sloppily performed.

I am a proponent of individual choice and freedoms - but don't kid yourself, this is nothing more than a voluntary amputation. What amazes me is that we, as a nation and culture, are ready to defend those who claim this barbaric procedure as an right of passage or religious ceremony while forming foundations to do away with all forms of female circumcision in Africa and other parts of the world - and those rituals have been around just as long as the Jewish Bris. One we call barbaric, the other we defend and even inflict upon our own children. What's the difference? The color of the skin? The religion that condones it? The gender of the victim? Genital mutilation is still genital mutilation. This unnecessary and invasive procedure is something that baby will live with for the rest of his life. It can result in decreased sensation and pleasure, the induction of a curve to the penis, and even uncomfortable, even painful erections. There is no scientific or medical reason to inflict this type of life-long consequence upon a newborn.

I don't see anyone saying we should remove the clittoral hood from baby girls because debris might get caught there and cause an infection at some point in her adult life. The argument for male circumcision is no different. It doesn't hold up under intellectual scrutiny and it never has. It's a procedure looking for a symptom. Circumcisions are less common or even rare in Europe, Asia, South America, Africa and Asia - and I don't see the male populations of those continents being wiped out by Infected Penis Syndrome.

Last edited:
I suppose I should have originally stated, "in my opinion...."

Here I stand, I can do no other. Science has neither proved circumcision beneficial or detrimental, so therefore I am right. And so are you.

Here I stand, I can do no other. Science has neither proved circumcision beneficial or detrimental, so therefore I am right. And so are you.

The question then is, if there are no proven benefits, why bother? You could remove the little toe of every newborn, there would be no non-cosmetic side effects.

circumsicion.jpg

You are incorrect. There are a number of known detrimental effects to this procedure and no documented benefits. I explained some of them already.

I'm sorry, but the science doesn't support your perspective.

Glad to have mine. Anyone who advocates circumcision never watched one. The baby is obviously in agony.

It's sick. And the fact that the parents want it is downright disturbing.

Last edited:
Much of the time parents are bullied into the procedure by doctors with questionable ethics. The rest of the time it's usually the mother who wants it for cosmetic reasons.

The rest of the time it's usually the mother who wants it for cosmetic reasons.

:blink:

Thats just fucken wrong on so many levels. Let the kid decide what he wants, not the fucken doctor or parents.

And why the fuck does there need to be government regulation on something so private and personal?

BTW, they unbanned happy meals.

Last edited:
And why the fuck does there need to be government regulation on something so private and personal?

I don't think individuals should be restricted from mutilating themselves if they want. But I don't think parents should do that to their kid.

How common is circumcision in the States anyway? From what I understand it is quite common?

The US had the highest circumcision rate in the world for a long time. We still do, however that the rate is finally dropping as more and more people are opting to not cut into their child's genitals.

I'm planning on wearing one of these next time I have to get on a plane:
http://www.despair.com/tsa.html

You HAVE to look as goofy as that guy does!

A religion with a weird ritual? Don't they call those cults now?/sarcasm

I am another victim of a botched job, as were 2 of my cousins, and a nephew. I am to young to remember the torment, but that is what it was. My parents both regretted the second operation immediately. If this was any other form of surgery, it would be questioned. But then again, we do allow teenage girls to get breast implants in our modern society.