Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

BBC News ? Should Obama's 'internet kill switch' power be curbed?
BBC News said:
Under a World War II-era law, the US president appears to have authority to disconnect computer systems and servers from the internet in the event of a national emergency. But the next US Congress is poised to change that.

The law was passed in 1942. The Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor had provoked fear of a foreign invasion of US soil, and Congress responded by giving President Franklin Roosevelt broad power to commandeer or shutter telephone and telegraph networks.

Continues

:blink:

That seems like an obvious first ammendment issue. The bench would probably strike it down if given the chance.

If we start looking, I'm sure we'll find a lot of federal laws that people just forgot to repeal.

I don't understand what the fuss is about. It's mostly just a bunch of right-wing pundits, the same guys who think Obama is a Kenyan anti-colonialist maoist fascist atheist Muslim possessed by Stalin's ghost or whatever. And while it was just fine that the Bush administration could tap phones without a warrants, snatch civilians, hold them indefinitely and torture them, etc; they don't want Obama to have a war-time power that (despite being in place for 70 years) has never once been invoked. Oh and nevermind the notion that you can just shut off the internet is a joke.

I don't understand what the fuss is about. It's mostly just a bunch of right-wing pundits, the same guys who think Obama is a Kenyan anti-colonialist maoist fascist atheist Muslim possessed by Stalin's ghost or whatever. And while it was just fine that the Bush administration could tap phones without a warrants, snatch civilians, hold them indefinitely and torture them, etc; they don't want Obama to have a war-time power that (despite being in place for 70 years) has never once been invoked. Oh and nevermind the notion that you can just shut off the internet is a joke.

I challenge you to find someone who believes that :p

The conservapedia article about Obama states (or used to state) that he was an atheist in one part of said article, and that atheists give less to charity than christians, and that he was a muslim later on in the same article. At one point he was referred to as a liberal AND a fascist, which is a bit like saying that you run a Hinduistic Steak house.

Think of the average American. Football is his favorite sport, Budweiser, Coors or some other pisswater is his beer. He may have started college but probably no more than an associates or trade-school education. Shops at Wal-Mart and is entertained by a bunch of identical, brightly painted objects going around in a circle for several hours. Thinks that the earth and everything on it was made by God 6,000 years ago.

Got it in your mind? Imagine yourself having a conversation with this person?

Now realize that half the people in the US are dumber than that!

I didn't belittle the associates degree, I just pointed out that the average American only has limited college experience - either an incomplete Bachelor's degree or an Associates or Trade School. Hell, my best friend is 30 and still working on becoming an electrician (trade school) and his wife is getting her Associates.

Think of the average American. Football is his favorite sport, Budweiser, Coors or some other pisswater is his beer. He may have started college but probably no more than an associates or trade-school education. Shops at Wal-Mart and is entertained by a bunch of identical, brightly painted objects going around in a circle for several hours. Thinks that the earth and everything on it was made by God 6,000 years ago.

Now realize that half the people in the US are dumber than that!

The statement in bold is contradictory. I was attempting to be humorous. If one understands the meaning of the words, it's impossible to believe someone is both atheist and Muslim.

Last edited:
I understand that they are contradictory statements, I was just trying to say that the average American doesn't understand what those terms mean or the idea of mutual exclusivity.

Think of the average American. Football is his favorite sport, Budweiser, Coors or some other pisswater is his beer. He may have started college but probably no more than an associates or trade-school education. Shops at Wal-Mart and is entertained by a bunch of identical, brightly painted objects going around in a circle for several hours.

You do, and on a regular basis.

Aside from baseball being my favorite sport, and drinking PBR when I do drink pisswater (which isn't often)... I never finished my degree, I do almost all of my shopping at Target, and I watch NASCAR. I'd be careful how sweeping you make your generalizations when you're trying to make a point.

It's not a generalization, it's a fact. If you define "average" as the peak of the bell curve in every aspect then it's safe to assume that the person watches NASCAR (the most popular spectator sport) has an average education (less than a bachelors, more than a high school diploma), drinks beer from a large American brewer, and has an IQ of 100. I know that last part because IQ is on a sliding scale and 100 is always average.