Random Thoughts (Political Edition)

Do not fuck up while in Texas. This is the message they want to send to the world, and it is working.

Yes, they much prefer to fuck up themselves.

Edit: At least, utilizing capital punishment has made Texas the state of the Union that has the lowest murder rate. Ever.

Last edited:
Well at least you know where you stand in Texas - commit a capital crime no fancy dan Hague court decision is going to save you. We could do with telling them to shove off on some decisions - votes for criminals FCS. ... It is nothing to do with them how we treat criminals over and above keeping them safe.

Criminals are fucking people. I'm so sick and fucking tired of listening to the bunch of people with this "throw away the key" mentality. And as long as we don't throw away the key, we're making very sure they come out as fucked up as possible. Hell, if we can't keep them in for life, we should at least make sure we break their mental health.

Listen, with the state of the justice system in Texas, what we know is that we can never know if the guy they kill is guilty or not. And I don't care, if the guy was innocent but still got executed, it is murder, bloody murder. A concequence of returning a verdict of "guilty" when they know the bastard will get killed, a jury should have to watch them do it. The same goes for the judge who orders the sentence.

And the governor who doesn't stop it should have to do the same.

Anyway, it's not really a deterrent anyway. So what you know doesn't really matter.

/Rant

They made a decision to break the law - society has no duty over and above keeping the fit and healthy and where appropriate away from society. I am fed up with hearing all about their rights, what about the rights that they denighed their victims.

Oh, give me a break. Most of them got into crime by no concious decision what-so-ever. Most of the times, it's bad luck paired with bad social conditions multiplied by lack of opertunity. And you know it.

But we're not talking about pick-pocketing. We're talking about murder. And most murders aren't premeditated, they are a result of situation. Acts of passion in the moment. And it still isn't a bloody deterrant. You know that too.

It's not about being tough on crime, it's about being SMART on crime. It's about stoping crime. And trying to avoid them coming back to jail. Which is why you give them opertunities. It's why you involve them in society. It's why you try to remind them they're human.

I still disagree, and still it does not matter really - if Ukania decide through parliament (i.e. democratically elected government) not to allow votes for prisoners then that is the deal you commit a crime you go to gaol and do not have a vote whilst you are in there.

This should not a subject for judicial review at all, do not these people/lawyers have some proper work to do?

EDIT/

Suppose these people decided that Wales have rights and anyone hunting them must go to gaol. Only Norway would be affected (Possibly Iceland?) and I bet you guys would be seriouslly pissed off. Same as same as.

Last edited:
Well, we'd have to follow suit. Then again, saying that bout whaling would be a bit like banning hunting deer or moose. But let's move on.

Human rights are human rights. The parliament of the United Kingdom og Great Britain and Northern Ireland can't ignore human rights, even if there's some reactionary sods there who'd like to.

Prisoners are people, denying them the vote is a thick idea.

There was once a time in this country when our prisons focused on rehabilitating prisoners, and we had incredible success with those programs. Then things changed under Regan to a warehousing mentality. We started the War On Drugs and the prisons filled up with people with addictions who could be easily rehabed in most cases; instead we started stacking them in prisons with murders and rapists.

Now we have one the highest per capita prison populations in the world. We have private prisons. I mean, how fucked up is that? We have companies with stock that trades higher based on how many people are in prison. Am I the only one who thinks that this is a dangerous and scary system?

Am I the only one who thinks that this is a dangerous and scary system?
No.

Do not fuck up while in Texas. This is the message they want to send to the world, and it is working.
No, it's sending the message that "Rick Perry is fucked in the head." This is the second (at least) distinct case in recent years where someone's being put to death in Texas over a clearly faulty trial or flimsy evidence, and the Governor just doesn't care. It's his state, dammit, and he will decide what the facts are.

I would have less of a problem if it was "this guy clearly fucked up while in Texas and Mexico was protesting over the death penalty". But that's not what this is. This is "this guy obviously didn't get a fair trial and is being put to death over it".

Last edited:
There was once a time in this country when our prisons focused on rehabilitating prisoners, and we had incredible success with those programs. Then things changed under Regan to a warehousing mentality. We started the War On Drugs and the prisons filled up with people with addictions who could be easily rehabed in most cases; instead we started stacking them in prisons with murders and rapists.

Now we have one the highest per capita prison populations in the world. We have private prisons. I mean, how fucked up is that? We have companies with stock that trades higher based on how many people are in prison. Am I the only one who thinks that this is a dangerous and scary system?

No. This is the time to try and create a different system. Use the economy as a reason to cut funding to the system.

Orwellian to say the least. But you are wrong on one thing.

The United States' incarceration rate is, according to official reports, the highest in the world, at 737 persons imprisoned per 100,000 (as of 2005).[7] A report released in 2008 indicates that in the United States more than 1 in 100 adults is now confined in an American jail or prison.[8] The United States has 4% of the world's population and 25% of the world's incarcerated population.[9]

quote is from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration#United_States

and a longer article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States with a qoute.

Violent crime was not responsible for the quadrupling of the incarcerated population in the United States from 1980 to 2003. Violent crime rates had been relatively constant or declining over those decades. The prison population was increased primarily by public policy changes causing more prison sentences and lengthening time served, e.g. through mandatory minimum sentencing, "three strikes" laws, and reductions in the availability of parole or early release. These policies were championed as protecting the public from serious and violent offenders, but instead yielded high rates of confinement for nonviolent offenders. Nearly three quarters of new admissions to state prison were convicted of nonviolent crimes. Only 49 percent of sentenced state inmates were held for violent offenses. Perhaps the single greatest force behind the growth of the prison population has been the national "war on drugs." The number of incarcerated drug offenders has increased twelvefold since 1980. In 2000, 22 percent of those in federal and state prisons were convicted on drug charges

Sorry, I wasn't saying that the jails were full of violent offenders, quite the opposite. I was trying to point out that the jails are full of people who don't need to be there because they are non-violent offenders and should be in some kind of treatment program or other rehab.

What it tells me is to stay away. Far away.

Sorry, I wasn't saying that the jails were full of violent offenders, quite the opposite. I was trying to point out that the jails are full of people who don't need to be there because they are non-violent offenders and should be in some kind of treatment program or other rehab.

Just wanted to point out the USA was actually number one in overall and per capita prisoners. Just kept going a bit to show part of the reason why.

Tbh., there are probably even some violent criminals who don't really deserve the treatment. But I don't think we should focus too much on a crime being non-violent, but perhaps more on wether or not the crime has a victim. While tax fraud is non-violent, it is not victimless.

Another point I've stressed tirelessly here is the fact that people who are in custody awaiting trial are treated like animals in more nations than the US.

It's a shame. We are talking about people who are, as a matter of fact, technically innocent, or presumed innocent. They're still treated like criminals, and they have to endure sexual humiliation and degregation, they live in horrific conditions, are treated like bloody animals.

And they're not convicted of anything. It's a disgrace.

In many cases the cops just issue you a summons/citation and you have to show up to court or a warrant is issued for your arrest. If you are actually arrested and charged with a felony or have outstanding warrants, it is my understanding that you are held at the police station or local facility until a judge decides what to do with you, which is usually pretty quick from what I understand. I think most places try to take care of it on the next business day (so don't get arrested Friday night).

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol..._needs_just_1_vote_to_pass_trying_to_do_.html

Gay marriage now just one vote shy of becoming law in New York despite Archbishop Dolan's objections

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...vote_to_pass_trying_to_do_.html#ixzz1PYOrd1KY

ALBANY - Gay marriage moved just one vote shy Tuesday of becoming law in New York as the state's top Catholic raised holy hell trying to stop it.

Sen. Roy McDonald (R-Saratoga) - in a dramatic reversal from his earlier opposition - became the second GOPer in as many days to give his blessing to same-sex nuptials, bringing Senate support to 31 votes.

Thirty two votes are needed to approve a gay marriage bill Gov. Cuomo formally introduced Tuesday.

McDonald's change of heart came hours after Archbishop Timothy Dolan led a band of religious groups hustling to halt the momentum.

"The stampede is on," Dolan wrote in a blog post. "Our elected senators who have stood courageous in their refusal to capitulate on the state's presumption to redefine marriage are reporting unrelenting pressure to cave in."

Dolan equated the move to allow same-sex marriage to life in China or North Korea, where "government presumes daily to 'redefine' rights, relationships, values and natural law."

"Please, not here!," Dolan wrote. "We cherish true freedom, not as the license to do whatever we want, but the liberty to do what we ought."

The opposition from Dolan, other religious groups and conservative political outfits threatening retribution at the ballot box has turned the Senate into a pressure cooker for Republicans.

And McDonald snapped.

"You get to the point where you evolve in your life where everything isn't black and white, good and bad, and you try to do the right thing," McDonald, 64, told reporters.

"You might not like that. You might be very cynical about that. Well, fuck it, I don't care what you think. I'm trying to do the right thing.

"I'm tired of Republican-Democrat politics. They can take the job and shove it. I come from a blue-collar background. I'm trying to do the right thing, and that's where I'm going with this."

At least four of McDonald's fellow Republicans are considering voting for the bill, prompting widespread optimism that the Legislature is about to cross the threshold of history.

"I've moved from cautiously optimistic to outright optimistic," said Assembly bill sponsor Daniel O'Donnell.

GOP Sens. Greg Ball (Putnam), Andrew Lanza (S.I.), Stephen Saland (Poughkeepsie) and Mark Grisanti (Buffalo) say they're open to voting "aye."

The bill's fate is more certain in the Assembly, which has passed gay marriage legislation three times in recent years - only to see it die in the Senate. The Assembly hopes to vote on it Wednesday if it gets permission from Cuomo, sources said.

Senate Majority Leader Dean Skelos (R-Nassau) set a closed-door meeting with his members Wednesday to decide if he should hold a vote on Cuomo's bill. He's previously said it should come to a vote.

Multiple sources say they expect the bill to be voted on - and passed - as soon as Friday.

Cuomo finally released the bill he wants passed - which insiders say is another sign the nuptials are gaining steam because he vowed only to go forward if approval was assured.

The bill provides the same legal rights for same-sex couples who marry as heterosexual couples. And it prohibits local clerks from nixing marriage license applications from gay couples.

In hopes of attracting needed Senate GOP votes, Cuomo's bill offers some exemptions from anti-discrimination laws to religious groups and affiliated organizations.

The Knights of Columbus, for instance, would be allowed to bar same-sex couples from renting out catering hall space.

The bill also specifies that no clergy would be forced to perform gay marriage ceremonies.

Hours after unveiling his bill, Cuomo was slated to head to the city for a fund-raiser with donors from the gay community.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...vote_to_pass_trying_to_do_.html#ixzz1PYP1ipKv

I love it that senior citizen GOP state senator just told the religious right to fuck off.

In many cases the cops just issue you a summons/citation and you have to show up to court or a warrant is issued for your arrest. If you are actually arrested and charged with a felony or have outstanding warrants, it is my understanding that you are held at the police station or local facility until a judge decides what to do with you, which is usually pretty quick from what I understand. I think most places try to take care of it on the next business day (so don't get arrested Friday night).

I'm talking about people who can't afford bail even when it's made available as an option, not to mention people who aren't given the option of bail. And I'm talking about every single second they spend in jail before they've been convicted of anything.

I realize there are times when yo need to keep people in jail before they're going to see the beak, but for heaven's sake, before you're even convicted, it should ideally be like a bloody hotel stay.

Edit: Just a random thought. For nearly a decade, I've been accused of having terrorist sympaties, even being an arab and an anti-semite, by right wing conservative nutjubs I've talked about Israel and Palestine with.

Recently, I've tried to debate Holocaust with some neo-nazi nutjubs. It's refreshing being accused of being a jew.

As Jan Guillou wrote about Olof Palmes famous words to a Japanese newspaper after the IB affair, "he's just a French jew".. I agree that would indeed make a lot of things a lot more convenient. If it was in fact true.

Last edited: